Can You Still Get A Good Deal Anywhere?

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
A Toyota stealership in my area is having folks 'bid' on new vehicles in transit to them, guess the deal is you put $500 down for the privilege of being invited to a closed 'auction'. Once you pay your initial deposit they are starting at/just below sticker and the fun begins... As the girl is explaining this I'm literally laughing at her, F'n JOKE...not sure what happens to the $500 if you dont buy
Sponsored

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
A Toyota stealership in my area is having folks 'bid' on new vehicles in transit to them, guess the deal is you put $500 down for the privilege of being invited to a closed 'auction'. Once you pay your initial deposit they are starting at/just below sticker and the fun begins... As the girl is explaining this I'm literally laughing at her, F'n JOKE...not sure what happens to the $500 if you dont buy
Is that even legal ?

Opusnbill7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I hope people remember this when this all goes back to normal. They make extra money now, but hopefully lose a lot of customers in the long run. That's ridiculous.

JimInVA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2121 Ranger Lariat/SCab/4x2, Took 8.5 months wait
Occupation
Retired Military
The sweet spot on price works like this I think.

Option one: You can walk in and buy a truck the dealer ordered months ago. You got a truck and rolling down the road, if- - -> you manage to beat out all the other guys who also want a truck in a market where trucks ain't coming off the assembly line very fast. Soooo, who is in best position? Dealer or buyer? Dealer is going to move that truck with zero problems.

Option two: You research every possible option on the model you want, pause a bit to review that built and be certain you know what you want. Work thru the Ford build page to see prices on every option. Then you visit a couple groups here where some folks have posted myrangerprice list.
You might even start a thread here to ask for help on that ford pricing, both the MSRP and Dealer Invoice with holdback.

Got the price? Then dig out every possible discount possible? Military or some other affiliation? Whatever.

Then contact dealer and tell them you want to order truck and what is their best price - email! Don't give them your phone number, just email addy. They will song and dance you about come in and blah, blah, blah. No, hang tough. Make sure they understand you are serious buyer and are going to order a truck from someone. I told them I had ordered two previously from them and giving them first shot at the order. you want exactly what you listed on the details. The price you want is cash delivered including taxes, registration, etc. If you need the money, don't be sucker with their deal, go to your credit union or other place for good money. Trade in - No, sell it at one of many places begging for vehicles. A clean deal and their walk out the door price.

The point here is it is a truck that sales guy can sell to you and it will be one more sale above whatever he is able to sell for premium price on those few on his lot. He and the dealer know they have extra cash on table for many folks looking for that one truck. But, your order will be either theirs or some other dealer and less money made on your truck for them is better than NO money for them.

It took 8.5 months for me, longer than anticipated. But, I like the price. That is exactly what I did. 35,215.33 for this one here. That included 4.15% sales tax plus other fees. Lariat, S'Cab, 4x2, 6ft bed, etc.

20220111_155958.jpg

window sticker.JPG

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
My advice. Don't buy now.

If you can at all get by, just wait.

I wouldn't buy a car right now unless I absolutely needed. And if I had to I'd buy the cheapest shitbox I could.
Not sure it's going to change since the dealers now know they can do it and people will just pay it.

JimInVA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2121 Ranger Lariat/SCab/4x2, Took 8.5 months wait
Occupation
Retired Military
Not sure it's going to change since the dealers now know they can do it and people will just pay it.
I agree. There is so much pent up demand in both used and new market and people have the money to pay. Just considering decades ago the list of nations with larger number of folks in middle class with money was short. Now, hundreds of millions have moved on from buying the washer, tv, cell phone and bicycle and they want the comfortable homes, cars, and cruises. Much more world wide competition for that car.

Also, inflation is wildly understated at 7% annually on December's report. It is not going down with the massive government spending as well.

If you can sort our what you want, just order it nail down a good price and wait the six or more months it will take instead of waiting for prices to fall. Still waiting but driving a new truck at the same point and very likely got better deal too.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
I agree. There is so much pent up demand in both used and new market and people have the money to pay. Just considering decades ago the list of nations with larger number of folks in middle class with money was short. Now, hundreds of millions have moved on from buying the washer, tv, cell phone and bicycle and they want the comfortable homes, cars, and cruises. Much more world wide competition for that car.

Also, inflation is wildly understated at 7% annually on December's report. It is not going down with the massive government spending as well.

If you can sort our what you want, just order it nail down a good price and wait the six or more months it will take instead of waiting for prices to fall. Still waiting but driving a new truck at the same point and very likely got better deal too.
I ordered a '22 XLT Tremor and my dealer will honor X plan on ordered vehicles. Ford also sent me an ad for $1000 off if I ordered before Jan. 3rd. That can be combined with the X plan. So somewhere around $2500 off MSRP. The biggest problem you have is the dealers throwing huge market adjustments on in-stock vehicles right now and people paying it. As long as people pay it the dealers won't stop. Even if supplies get better the dealer comes out way ahead sitting on a vehicle a bit longer until a sucker comes by that'll pay the inflated market adjustment value.

With that said, anyone paying a large market adjustment must have a lot of money to put down or I don't see how a bank finances a vehicle that will quickly lose that market adjustment. Even in the case of the Bronco at some point they will be just as available as any other vehicle.

The last thing about getting a decent deal in these times is avoid the hottest new products. The good thing about the current Ranger is that it's not really a hot product so you can find decent deals.

AvockAdoo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
I was getting pretty fed up waiting for my "warranty recall" to be completed by Brighton Ford here in Denver, which would allow me to buy the truck, and it just so happened a used 2020 XLT Sport, With Locker, 302A package, and 16k miles came up for sale in ABQ New Mexico for $31,470. Made a trip out of it yesterday and I'm finally in a Ranger. Couldnt be happier...

....let the draining of my bank account commence.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thanks all! I sent an email over to Granger last week, hopefully they reply soon! Sounds like the way to go, and get a fun road trip out of it too.
They're very quick at getting the quotes back, you will most likely have it today. I'm 100% happy dealing with them and it couldn't have been any easier being 1450 miles away. Good luck!

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
I was getting pretty fed up waiting for my "warranty recall" to be completed by Brighton Ford here in Denver, which would allow me to buy the truck, and it just so happened a used 2020 XLT Sport, With Locker, 302A package, and 16k miles came up for sale in ABQ New Mexico for $31,470. Made a trip out of it yesterday and I'm finally in a Ranger. Couldnt be happier...

....let the draining of my bank account commence.
Pretty decent deal IMO. What color?

AvockAdoo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Pretty decent deal IMO. What color?
Thank you - I thought it was a decent deal, specially considering the current market on used trucks.

Its Oxford White with the Grey Bumpers & Sport Wheels. The topper is color matched to the bumpers to give some contrast - it looks good IMO. I'll get around to posting a photo of it in the new members thread here today or tomorrow. Its currently covered in snow, but should melt off today!

ScottyT

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'd say deals are out there for sure. Just need to find the right dealer. I think the better deals are when you custom order.

remtv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT , 2001 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Engineer, Student
The sweet spot on price works like this I think.

Option one: You can walk in and buy a truck the dealer ordered months ago. You got a truck and rolling down the road, if- - -> you manage to beat out all the other guys who also want a truck in a market where trucks ain't coming off the assembly line very fast. Soooo, who is in best position? Dealer or buyer? Dealer is going to move that truck with zero problems.

Option two: You research every possible option on the model you want, pause a bit to review that built and be certain you know what you want. Work thru the Ford build page to see prices on every option. Then you visit a couple groups here where some folks have posted myrangerprice list.
You might even start a thread here to ask for help on that ford pricing, both the MSRP and Dealer Invoice with holdback.

Got the price? Then dig out every possible discount possible? Military or some other affiliation? Whatever.

Then contact dealer and tell them you want to order truck and what is their best price - email! Don't give them your phone number, just email addy. They will song and dance you about come in and blah, blah, blah. No, hang tough. Make sure they understand you are serious buyer and are going to order a truck from someone. I told them I had ordered two previously from them and giving them first shot at the order. you want exactly what you listed on the details. The price you want is cash delivered including taxes, registration, etc. If you need the money, don't be sucker with their deal, go to your credit union or other place for good money. Trade in - No, sell it at one of many places begging for vehicles. A clean deal and their walk out the door price.

The point here is it is a truck that sales guy can sell to you and it will be one more sale above whatever he is able to sell for premium price on those few on his lot. He and the dealer know they have extra cash on table for many folks looking for that one truck. But, your order will be either theirs or some other dealer and less money made on your truck for them is better than NO money for them.

It took 8.5 months for me, longer than anticipated. But, I like the price. That is exactly what I did. 35,215.33 for this one here. That included 4.15% sales tax plus other fees. Lariat, S'Cab, 4x2, 6ft bed, etc.

20220111_155958.jpg

window sticker.JPG
That seems to be the jist of it, that or find somewhere that will give you X-plan on a truck on the lot. I ended up passing on ordering at the beginning of 2021 but had to go ahead and buy one from a lot after I screwed up an oil pressure install on my DD.

I really wished I had been reading this forum beforehand as I didn't know about X-plan till it was too late and Mullinax said that would have honored it on a truck in inventory. I pretty much ordered at the worst possible moment, I no longer had a car to trade in so I couldn't take advantage of the only incentive for September (1k trade in) so all I go was the 750 bucks in student cash. It came out to like 36500 after Florida 6 % tax so 34,310 for an 4x2 SCREW FX2 301a with Tow which was like 500 bucks under MSRP, so I didn't get screwed especially with used rangers going for as much (at least asking) but it did sting seeing some of the deals with ~3k of msrp ordering one.

TLDR just go order one from either a good local dealer who will do X-plan and whatever else in incentives or go somewhere like grangier with that below invoice pricing.

OP
OP
dabomb4097

dabomb4097

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT 302A FX4 (On Order)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thanks for the advice all, I put in an order through Granger today! They're estimating 4-6 months for my build. Seems a little longer than some estimates around the forum, but I ordered all the tech goodies (XLT 302A with Tech Package) so maybe chip shortages set back units with those options a little more than usual. Now to anxiously play the waiting game.
Sponsored