Can You Still Get A Good Deal Anywhere?

dabomb4097

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT 302A FX4 (On Order)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hi all, about 2 years ago I moved from a small town in the southeast to a major metro city in the rocky mountains. I brought an '18 F-150 with me, and quickly burned out on daily driving and parking a full size pickup in a dense metropolitan area and traded it in for a '20 Subaru Outback. I'm really missing the utility of a truck, so I've been shopping around for mid-size pickups and settled on the Ranger since it seems like its the only mid-size I can get right now with Adaptive Cruise Control.

Living in a big metro area now, there are at least 12 Ford dealers in under an hour's drive, but after visiting several I just feel like there's no way to get a good deal anymore. Everything is non-negotiable or has an arbitrary "market adjustment" tacked on, even if I wanted to do a special order. And despite "record-breaking used car prices" everyone seems to think the '20 Outback I have is worthless. Best offer I could get was 4k under the KBB trade in value.

What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored

AvockAdoo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
I'm in Denver as well - Brighton Ford is selling AT MRSP with no money down. They're giving all ford incentives to you as well, and valued my trade above KBB (they matched CarMax's offer). Give them a call, they've been pretty decent to work with.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
OP
OP
dabomb4097

dabomb4097

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you're willing to travel or have it shipped Granger Ford is offering 3% under invoice. They're a sponsor here and I just ordered my Jeep through them. Very easy transaction and no BS extra cost at delivery. Just send them the PDF of your build and they'll send you a quote, they only have a $180 Doc fee.
I'll give them a shout, I love a good road trip and wouldn't mind travelling if they'll make it worth it!

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Hi all, about 2 years ago I moved from a small town in the southeast to a major metro city in the rocky mountains. I brought an '18 F-150 with me, and quickly burned out on daily driving and parking a full size pickup in a dense metropolitan area and traded it in for a '20 Subaru Outback. I'm really missing the utility of a truck, so I've been shopping around for mid-size pickups and settled on the Ranger since it seems like its the only mid-size I can get right now with Adaptive Cruise Control.

Living in a big metro area now, there are at least 12 Ford dealers in under an hour's drive, but after visiting several I just feel like there's no way to get a good deal anymore. Everything is non-negotiable or has an arbitrary "market adjustment" tacked on, even if I wanted to do a special order. And despite "record-breaking used car prices" everyone seems to think the '20 Outback I have is worthless. Best offer I could get was 4k under the KBB trade in value.

What am I doing wrong?
Pretty sure any Subaru dealer would give you top dollar for your Outback. There are hardly any in stock at our local dealers even here in sunny sw Florida. They should be in high demand out there.

OP
OP
dabomb4097

dabomb4097

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm in Denver as well - Brighton Ford is selling AT MRSP with no money down. They're giving all ford incentives to you as well, and valued my trade above KBB (they matched CarMax's offer). Give them a call, they've been pretty decent to work with.
I'll give them a ring too, so far I've been through Sill-Terhar, O'Meara, Barbee, and Schomp and they've all given me the run around on something!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Was just there for service.

They have a '19 Lariat 4x4 w/ 40k miles on it for $3k more than I bought my brand new '20 Lariat FX-4 for a year ago.

I live in Brighton. I've tried to buy my last 3 Fords there, won't even consider them the next one. Service department is great though.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
My advice. Don't buy now.

If you can at all get by, just wait.

I wouldn't buy a car right now unless I absolutely needed. And if I had to I'd buy the cheapest shitbox I could.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
maybe a good deal some place on a used ranger thats the older 4g. they are really easy to zip around in tight cities, decent fuel mileage and cheap to maintain.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.

What am I doing wrong?
I will sell you my 2019 crew 4x4 sport, magnetic metallic, 50-something owned/driven. 22k miles on the clock. 8 mos ago I took a job with the use of an assigned company car so the Ranger has been in my heated garage under a brand new cover since then. Also have a FORD extended warranty I can transfer with it or cash out depending on the sale agreement...
absolutely flawless in/out, no dings, curb-rash, smoke odor etc...pretty much what you would expect from someone with OCD.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Groove Ford on Arapahoe Rd. almost got my business several times. No great deals but we’re nice to work with. Can’t say anything good about any of the other Denver area dealers that I talked with. Ended up buying mine from Summit Ford in Silverthorne.

Welcome to the Mile High City!

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
id trade them my 4g ranger for that baby! it appears to be in fairly clean shape. 5 speed man with 4.0 and 4x4 is real hard to find in my area. id drive that. id wanna pay about 5 k less for it though.
I'd rock it for sure. But not at $15k or anywhere near that. You're right, $10k seems about right.

But that was my point EVERYTHING is either way overpriced or inflation is gonna stick and continue to rise. I'm holding out hope it's the former and that things will return to some sort of normal soon. It's a gamble for sure either way.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
I'm really missing the utility of a truck, so I've been shopping around for mid-size pickups and settled on the Ranger since it seems like its the only mid-size I can get right now with Adaptive Cruise Control.

What am I doing wrong?
If you can, sell the Subaru (dealer, private, vroom, Carvana) and fly to another part of the country where prices are more reasonable. In Central Florida a 4x4 Ranger w/ tech package used is 35.9k. Drive it or ship it to Denver. Unsure of other areas, but you get the idea. Example below w/ 16k miles. Within 200 miles there were 606 rangers 2019-2022. 67 had adaptive cruise control. I am going thru the same thing w/ one of my boys, who has decided he wants a Ranger. They are not inexpensive. A 2WD FX2 would be 5k less.

1642815102225.png

1642815158738.png

Certified 2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 for Sale in West Palm Beach, FL | Mullinax | VIN: 1FTER1FH5LLA66089 (mullinaxford.com)
Sponsored