First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I cant detail anymore like I used to when I was in my 20s lol the pain for a week afterwards is killer now. I did both cars by hand last week., still hurting. ? I need to compound and polish the ' 11 Jetta but I'm breaking out the PC 7424XP for that
If I’d have known I would wear out the body this bad I would’ve saved less for retirement and died earlier :lipssealed:
Sponsored

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
I hate to attempt CPR on an old thread, yet I'm not a fan of creating duplicates either. I have bone spurs in both shoulders so I'd like to protect my shiny new black finish but not suffer for a week afterwards. I've never owned or used a polisher and the options are dizzying. I get it rarely is worth it to buy cheap stuff but unless you are making money with tools, it rarely makes sense to buy premium stuff either.

What is the difference between the round polisher with side handles and the ones that look like an angle grinder? Is it just that one is easier to control or provides more comfort? Am I correct in assuming you just use them to apply polishes and/or wax ... but hand buff each off? The ceramics all seem to have their own applicators so I'm guessing that is all by hand.
@Ranger8729 gave a great description!

I'll also add that the big plastic wobbly style polishers are very poorly counter balanced. Basically that's what your body is for..... Holding on for dear life, hour after hour...

919BIdbzEWL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

For the money, it's pretty damn hard to beat the Porter Cable 7424xp unit. It's counter balanced nicely (certainly not an exotic tool that's perfectly balanced), but if shoulder durability and pain are an issue, i'd avoid the above wobbly types like the plague.

https://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html

As i'm now in my 40's, detailing isn't as easy as it used to be. It's a young mans work when they can go for 8 hours behind the buffer all day! The 7424xp still treats me well with an even and predictable path, weighted well, durable, and pairs with whatever pads you like.

And as for the direct-drive rotaries, my only suggestion is to avoid those at all costs if you're new to this. The potential to burn through your paint in a matter of seconds very much exists. Thousands of dollars in paint repair just to learn how to use one is pretty bonkers. Sure they are the fastest thing around and the only way shops can bang out cars as quick as they do. But for the home gamer, it's something to be avoided.

24dRanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
10-4 ... I think I inherited that one in your pic when my dad passed away. I’m not even sure I kept it but if so it is deep in my storage areas of my shop.

I seem to remember a post about the PC and the newer type 1 vs type 2 and that the older generation was better in some respects. But I will give it consideration. I almost bought the Avid tool that quangdog bought until I saw the Torq plain tool for $105 or the Chem Guys pack with tool, VSS, cleaner and pads for $125.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
As long as your vehicle doesn't need any major paint correction to be done you can skip the buffing. You can just use a good clay mitt to get all the contaminates out then apply your coating. I'm really loving this Graphene and it's super easy to apply. It's not to say a good buffer/polisher won't bring out the depth and shine but as long as you keep your vehicles finish coated you can usually skip this process. I haven't touched a buffer in 30 years but I do detail mine often.

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3347.jpg

24dRanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
As long as your vehicle doesn't need any major paint correction to be done you can skip the buffing.
Mine, may or may not having sat on the lot for ~a year however, I will do my wife's, daughter's and mom's cars too. I just placed an order for the PC7424xp ... got the kit with a couple of pads, velcro backing and some freebies. Also got the 303 Graphene spray and free wipes.

It will be an opportunity for my daughter and I to learn together. We've done alot of that and it has been fun spending the time together and I know it will help her as most boys can't do anything for themselves these days. She already does her oil changes, rotates tires and has changed brake pads and plugs once. Her aim is to be an Air Force officer and I know this type of motivation to learn and perform tasks like this will help her to be successful (I'm a proud daddy).

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Mine, may or may not having sat on the lot for ~a year however, I will do my wife's, daughter's and mom's cars too. I just placed an order for the PC7424xp ... got the kit with a couple of pads, velcro backing and some freebies. Also got the 303 Graphene spray and free wipes.

It will be an opportunity for my daughter and I to learn together. We've done alot of that and it has been fun spending the time together and I know it will help her as most boys can't do anything for themselves these days. She already does her oil changes, rotates tires and has changed brake pads and plugs once. Her aim is to be an Air Force officer and I know this type of motivation to learn and perform tasks like this will help her to be successful (I'm a proud daddy).
That's a great way to do it, learning together and spending time together. In case you haven't already read it I did a thread on the Graphene and how to apply it. It's really easy and you don't need a lot of product, just a couple sprays at a time. Just shake it really good before using.....Oh, and don't wear a white shirt. ;)

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/303-graphene-nano-spray-coating.10062/
Sponsored

Last edited: