Blue Tooth Wireless Apple Car Play

zhuskers1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
My daughter and I just test drove a KIA. The KIA infotainment system has wireless blots tooth Apple Car Play.

Does anyone know if this will be offered to 2020 models vis a system upgrade?

Very nice feature - I would assume Ford is ahead of KIA

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
My daughter and I just test drove a KIA. The KIA infotainment system has wireless blots tooth Apple Car Play.

Thanks in advance!
I'd assume zero chance. There's some third party gadgets starting to come out that plug into the usb and provide a wireless interface; I'd expect those to become common long before I'd expect Ford to provide new functionality for an already-sold product.

OP
OP
zhuskers1

zhuskers1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
Wow! Surprising that a Kia is more advanced than a Ford. When are American Auto makers going to understand that infotainment is a utility and not a feature. Utility = auto updates like (most phones)

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up

Thanks in advance!
Wireless Carplay cannot be added via software, it requires special hardware that Sync 3 doesn't have. Sync 4 systems will have wireless Carplay and Android Auto. I assume the Ranger won't get Sync 4 until it's refresh

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Wow! Surprising that a Kia is more advanced than a Ford. When are American Auto makers going to understand that infotainment is a utility and not a feature. Utility = auto updates like (most phones)
I suspect it would take a hardware upgrade not just software, so not a chance. People have to get the definition straight. A utility is something you need, a feature is something you want. A vehicle will perform its primary function just fine without wireless Carplay. Remember when an AM radio was an option you had to fold maps and store them in the glove box?

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
I suspect it would take a hardware upgrade not just software, so not a chance. People have to get the definition straight. A utility is something you need, a feature is something you want. A vehicle will perform its primary function just fine without wireless Carplay. Remember when an AM radio was an option you had to fold maps and store them in the glove box?
Remember when you actually stored gloves in the glove box?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Remember when you actually stored gloves in the glove box?
HI JJ,

Still do except they are latex as in AZ no need for much more most of the time... Keeps the tortoise you are handling trying to cross the road from being infected by a human.... Or your hands clean if you have to change a tire on the side of the road....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wireless Carplay cannot be added via software, it requires special hardware that Sync 3 doesn't have. Sync 4 systems will have wireless Carplay and Android Auto. I assume the Ranger won't get Sync 4 until it's refresh
It needs wifi...which sync 3 does have. There might be other limitations in how they implemented the hardware, but all the basic pieces are there. I just don't think it's likely that ford would even try to add that functionality to sync 3 when they're focused on rolling out sync 4. The traditional car manufacturers would rather sell you a new car than add value to something you already bought.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
It needs wifi...which sync 3 does have. There might be other limitations in how they implemented the hardware, but all the basic pieces are there. I just don't think it's likely that ford would even try to add that functionality to sync 3 when they're focused on rolling out sync 4. The traditional car manufacturers would rather sell you a new car than add value to something you already bought.
Will be interesting to see if it's easy to retrofit Sync 4 like it was going from My Ford Touch to Sync 3

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
HI JJ,

Still do except they are latex as in AZ no need for much more most of the time... Keeps the tortoise you are handling trying to cross the road from being infected by a human.... Or your hands clean if you have to change a tire on the side of the road....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I have rubber gloves and working gloves in mine. But my post was mostly sarcasm.

OP
OP
zhuskers1

zhuskers1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
Thanks for all the thoughtful responses.

My comment on utility was intended to reference the upgradability of the system. I was not very clear. iPods, iPhones and iWatchs starting at around $199 have had The ability to upgrade automatically for over ten years. Infotainment system should do the same.... I believe sync 4 will do this. Tesla has been doing it for some time. I believe the software in a Tesla is the same regardless of model year - similar to an iPhone. Love my ranger. Will probable trade up to the next generation when available.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Yes. The Apple developer guides for CarPlay detail the minimum hardware configurations for wired and wireless connections. Wireless is more demanding and expensive, leading to slow adoption by OEMs.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the thoughtful responses.

My comment on utility was intended to reference the upgradability of the system. I was not very clear. iPods, iPhones and iWatchs starting at around $199 have had The ability to upgrade automatically for over ten years. Infotainment system should do the same.... I believe sync 4 will do this. Tesla has been doing it for some time. I believe the software in a Tesla is the same regardless of model year - similar to an iPhone. Love my ranger. Will probable trade up to the next generation when available.
None of the traditional car companies do a decent job of handling consumer electronics; Tesla stomps all over them for post-sales electronics support. If they could manage to figure out how to deal with supporting the rest of the car they'd be unbeatable.
Sponsored