First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I typically use 93 E0 in my FPP tuned Ranger at home - not available here in NE FL. Started a new fueling strategy on this trip. 4 ounces of Lucas Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner at every fill up of Shell 93 E10. 93 E0 is often spotty quality at home, with stations selling whatever and labeling it 93 E0, and pricing it accordingly. Ranger actually seems to like the current regimen better.

IMG_1347.JPG

IMG_1348.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Joedanger22

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Aircraft Assembler
I try to stay with the Costco brand because it's cheaper (91 octane) than normal station brands, and it's a Top Tier gasoline. When I can't get to Costco for whatever reason, I'll use QT gas because it is also Top Tier.
Shell 93 only. I've only used this. Don't know if it is the best. Runs great

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Ahem

*points at occupation*

<--------------

Been doing this for over 30 years. I've seen it all. I can tell you how most of these gas stations and refineries work.

There are many refineries out there. Some are in specific states. Same goes for gas stations and convenience stores. States such as Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, South and North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, D.C., Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey rely on the Colonial Pipeline. There was a hack in 2021. Heard about it?
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/15/colonial-pipeline-resumes-normal-operations-after-hack.html

Refineries like Flint Hills, Kinder Morgan, Magellan, and so on provide cheap fuel. Not low quality...just cheap. Gas stations want cheap fuel. Then they sell it at a higher price for a profit. Ever notice that the price goes down 2 to 3 cents and then goes up 10 to 12 cents?

Lets take QT for example. They get their gas from which ever refinery sells it to them the cheapest.
Top tier you say? Not when its mixed with gas from different refineries. This goes for Costco and all other unbranded gas stations.

Now for the branded stores. Exxon, Shell, ETC. You need to find out if there's an Exxon refinery in or near your town. If not, the Exxon gas you're getting is from the cheap refinery with Exxon additive.

In some states you'll see Supreme on the pump. Others say Super. In Louisiana, it's Ultimate. The octane is labeled differently. 93 could be considered "super" at one store while 91 or 92 is "super" at another.

There is SO much more I'd like to mention. But it'll take hours to explain everything.

Oh......never buy super from a Mom and pop shop. Trust me on this.

Last edited:

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Been doing this for over 30 years. I've seen it all. I can tell you how most of these gas stations and refineries work.

Oh......never buy super from a Mom and pop shop. Trust me on this.
Tell me if I'm wrong but I'm under the long held impression ALL gasoline comes off of the ships or through the pipeline with NO ethanol or any other additives - everything is added at the terminals.

In the Carolinas, No Ethanol (E0) 87 and 89-90 grades gasolines are available through name brand dealers while 93 E0 is available exclusively through 'mom and pop' dealers in the region since 2017. Why? I don't know except name brand dealers quit selling 93 E0 in the Carolinas. EPA edict? Who knows.

Some civilian airports sell 93 E0 as aviation MO (motor) fuel, suitable for low performance, low altitude aircraft.

NC Department of Agriculture seems to do a better job of regulating and checking on the dealers stock quality and pump accuracy. NC will give detailed results by phone, while SC Department of Agriculture just grunts and blows one off. 2 of 2 fuel stations in my NC area that were selling something and labeling it 93 E0 have stopped doing so. One station in SC selling something way overpriced and labeled as 93 EO is still doing it and has been for a long time.

When possible, I find out who the store's distributor is and phone them. I'm on a first name basis with the 'mom and pop dealer' I buy my 93 E0 from in my region, along with their well known and reputable regional distributor.

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tell me if I'm wrong but I'm under the long held impression ALL gasoline comes off of the ships or through the pipeline with NO ethanol or any other additives - everything is added at the terminals.

In the Carolinas, No Ethanol (E0) 87 and 89-90 grades gasolines are available through name brand dealers while 93 E0 is available exclusively through 'mom and pop' dealers in the region since 2017. Why? I don't know except name brand dealers quit selling 93 E0 in the Carolinas. EPA edict? Who knows.

Some civilian airports sell 93 E0 as aviation MO (motor) fuel, suitable for low performance, low altitude aircraft.

NC Department of Agriculture seems to do a better job of regulating and checking on the dealers stock quality and pump accuracy. NC will give detailed results by phone, while SC Department of Agriculture just grunts and blows one off. 2 of 2 fuel stations in my NC area that were selling something and labeling it 93 E0 have stopped doing so. One station in SC selling something way overpriced and labeled as 93 EO is still doing it and has been for a long time.

When possible, I find out who the store's distributor is and phone them. I'm on a first name basis with the 'mom and pop dealer' I buy my 93 E0 from in my region, along with their well known and reputable regional distributor.

Oil comes off the ships. The refineries converts it to gas. It's sent through a pipeline to a tank farm. Tanker trucks go in and fill up to deliver to gas stations.

Ethanol comes in by rail cars. {Train} Tanker trucks fill up and take it to the tank farms. It's blended at 10% with the gas as the other tanker loads up.

Each region has their own regulations on ethanol. It's not the same everywhere. I know my area in Texas.

As for my warning on super from mom and pop shops. They sometimes trick the tanker carrier into dropping 87 octane fuel into the 93 octane tanks. I refuse to do it! I tell my dispatcher never send me there again! How do they do it? By ordering to much 87 octane. Nope. I don't go there anymore.

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Running ethanol today. As you can see, an ethanol shipment has arrived. It gets pumped into a big tank. Tanker trucks load up and take it to a tank farm. There, it gets pumped into another big tank. It's blended with the gas at 10% while the truck loads up. Then it gets delivered to a gas station.

PXL_20220103_153435554.jpg

sandog

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Pepper
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'd prefer my gasoline to not be tainted with Ethanol. I will fill up with Ethanol/Gas once in a while when I'm at Costco, but most of my fill ups are 89 octane no Ethanol from Maverick.

Cwbyfan62

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
I work
I primarily use Shell for 3 Reasons.
First, as indicted in Trigganometry's link, Shell provides consistent quality gas.
Second, I have a Shell gas card with a fairly small limit so I don't have to use my debit card at the pumps.
And last, if I consistently use the same brand gas and develop a fuel related issue, I have someone to point my finger at!

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I'd prefer my gasoline to not be tainted with Ethanol. I will fill up with Ethanol/Gas once in a while when I'm at Costco, but most of my fill ups are 89 octane no Ethanol from Maverick.
If you do use Premium Fuel (91-93 octane) 'tainted' with moonshine (ethanol), please consider using one of several ethanol treatments available. Bell, Sta-Bil and Lucas are three that readily come to mind, others are available. Still, nothing beats non-ethanol blended gasolines (pure gas). E10 - E85 was an incredibly bad idea for engines, incredibly great idea for profiteers....

spin_prod_980326612.jpeg

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I primarily use Shell for 3 Reasons.
First, as indicted in Trigganometry's link, Shell provides consistent quality gas.
Second, I have a Shell gas card with a fairly small limit so I don't have to use my debit card at the pumps.
And last, if I consistently use the same brand gas and develop a fuel related issue, I have someone to point my finger at!

Where I'm from, Motiva handles Shell products.

https://motiva.com/wholesalers/our-brands/shell

Where you are at, not sure which one handles Shell.

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/documents/california-refineries

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you do use Premium Fuel (91-93 octane) 'tainted' with moonshine (ethanol), please consider using one of several ethanol treatments available. Bell, Sta-Bil and Lucas are three that readily come to mind, others are available. Still, nothing beats non-ethanol blended gasolines (pure gas). E10 - E85 was an incredibly bad idea for engines, incredibly great idea for profiteers....

spin_prod_980326612.jpeg

Yup. Ethanol is nasty.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer

spin_prod_980326612.jpeg
I live in Massachusetts and we have not been able to get anything but E10 since the 90s. I have never had an issue with E10 in any of my vehicles(including my 68 Barracuda), any of my motorcycles or any of my lawn/garden equipment.

If you own a vehicle that has been made in the past 30 years and doesn't sit unused for long periods of time don't waste your money on fuel treatments.

If you do store your vehicle for long periods of time and/or put your lawn equipment away for the season you should use a fuel stabilizer whether it has ethanol in it or not.

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live in Massachusetts and we have not been able to get anything but E10 since the 90s. I have never had an issue with E10 in any of my vehicles(including my 68 Barracuda), any of my motorcycles or any of my lawn/garden equipment.

If you own a vehicle that has been made in the past 30 years and doesn't sit unused for long periods of time don't waste your money on fuel treatments.

If you do store your vehicle for long periods of time and/or put your lawn equipment away for the season you should use a fuel stabilizer whether it has ethanol in it or not.
10% ethanol won't do any harm. It's the higher blends. E85 should only used in vehicles that can handle it. Use of unapproved fuels will damage the engine components.

Reactions: Doc

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat

To this, I agree 100%.
I put Sta-Bil in my shed fuel cans and have had NO issues with gas a few years old for my lawn mower engines, chain saws, weed wackers, etc.
Good advice.

Reactions: Doc

Dunedain Ranger

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Super Cab - 2WD, 1995 Honda Accord EX Station Wagon
Shell 93 Octane - (won't go anywhere else) each and every time ever since I used up my tank after buying new from the dealer. I have the Shell Gas Card, which gives me .10 off per gallon.
Sponsored