Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Haven't seen anything about these on this forum yet, so figured I'd post up.

I installed these last night in just over an hour. It was really straightforward and quite easy. Only thing you need to remove is the spare tire. I also removed the rear wheels so I wouldn't have to jack the vehicle up as high, but it's not necessary. Other than that, support the rear axle, remove the two nuts for the OEM shackles, slide them out of the bushings, and put the new pieces back in.

I decided to install these because I'm adding a bit of weight to the back of my truck in camping gear, and it was starting to sag a bit and getting close enough to the bump stops that it was getting really rough over large bumps.

After putting this in I'm back to about stock rear height (probably a touch more) and the parabolic leaf springs seem to be doing their job properly now rather than riding on the bump stop as much. It's considerably more comfortable now.And just during the install it becomes pretty apparent that you gain quite a bit of suspension travel in the rear.

Would definitely recommend this to those of you who are adding a bit of weight to the back of your ranger and don't want to wait for aftermarket leafs to come out, or fit air bags

IMG_20200227_094808242.jpg

IMG_20200227_094819903.jpg

IMG_20200227_094750725_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 (well, it started that way)
Leafs are on the way. Testing in progress ? Way more travel, better ride, progressive rate, etc will all be possible soon.

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
Leafs are on the way. Testing in progress ? Way more travel, better ride, progressive rate, etc will all be possible soon.

Do it and I'll need a cash price for rear springs and bumper, local pickup after quarantine haha. Looking forward to it your progress man

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 (well, it started that way)
Do it and I'll need a cash price for rear springs and bumper, local pickup after quarantine haha. Looking forward to it your progress man
Haha for sure I'll keep you updated. Bumper will go on for testing soon, leafs are being tested now. We've worked around a bunch of the issues with the Ranger's factory setup and we're really happy with the results. It's a whole new truck. Still working on our real fix for the strange shackle situation Ford blessed this truck with from the factory but that will come as well.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
I heard these shackles paired with shocks that are suited for an inch lift make the back ride softer. I sold my rear Bilstein 5100's and the guy installed them and liked the ride, then he installed these shackles and liked the ride even better.

OP
OP
RoadBoss

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I heard these shackles paired with shocks that are suited for an inch lift make the back ride softer. I sold my rear Bilstein 5100's and the guy installed them and liked the ride, then he installed these shackles and liked the ride even better.
I don't know that they make the ride softer, but they do give you more room for suspension travel before the springs contact the bump stops (which isn't much at stock height), so it might seem like it's softer over larger bumps.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
I don't know that they make the ride softer, but they do give you more room for suspension travel before the springs contact the bump stops (which isn't much at stock height), so it might seem like it's softer over larger bumps.
I guess it depends on what shock you have. Some shocks have different zones so depending on where the piston is in the shock it rides different. Icon has like 3 or 4 different zones, fox has like 3 or 4 zones, and I think king is the same all throughout so people machine holes into those pistons, and I'm not sure about Bilstein.

nrspence

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger FX4
Occupation
Wildland firefighter
I’ll be giving these shackles a try when I put the 2.0 eibachs up front.

Barefootmoney1969

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Physician
Anyone noticed any difference in start up shudder after installing BDS shackles? BDS claims to improve pinion angle, which in theory should improve start up shudder if present initially

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
For those that have installed these shackles, any long term info on them?

I would think articulation wise, should be the same with either lift blocks or shackles? I was leaning towards shackles to keep the factory U-Bolts on the diff/spring perch.

OC4095

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Factory Automation Engineer, Auto School Grad, Car Audio Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like 3" coilovers + shackles + 1" rear shock is a good set up

Arsenal741

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Project Lead
Haven't seen anything about these on this forum yet, so figured I'd post up.

I installed these last night in just over an hour. It was really straightforward and quite easy. Only thing you need to remove is the spare tire. I also removed the rear wheels so I wouldn't have to jack the vehicle up as high, but it's not necessary. Other than that, support the rear axle, remove the two nuts for the OEM shackles, slide them out of the bushings, and put the new pieces back in.

I decided to install these because I'm adding a bit of weight to the back of my truck in camping gear, and it was starting to sag a bit and getting close enough to the bump stops that it was getting really rough over large bumps.

After putting this in I'm back to about stock rear height (probably a touch more) and the parabolic leaf springs seem to be doing their job properly now rather than riding on the bump stop as much. It's considerably more comfortable now.And just during the install it becomes pretty apparent that you gain quite a bit of suspension travel in the rear.

Would definitely recommend this to those of you who are adding a bit of weight to the back of your ranger and don't want to wait for aftermarket leafs to come out, or fit air bags

IMG_20200227_094808242.jpg

IMG_20200227_094819903.jpg

IMG_20200227_094750725_HDR.jpg
Has this been a good modification long term?

OP
OP
RoadBoss

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
yep I've been happy with them.
I ended up using an add-a-leaf as well to handle extra weight a little better, but if you're not loading up your truck a ton the shackles alone are great for a little extra height and more axle travel.
Sponsored