Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Morning all,

I've been on a furious debate with myself on what suspension kit to go with. I'm torn between just the typical Fox 2.0 setup versus a more robust 3.5 Coil-over setup. Has anyone has experience with this specific BDS 3.5 CO? It seems to be the most complete full suspension lift for the 2019+ Ranger.

https://bds-suspension.com/product?ma=3&mo=25&ty=1&yr=2019-2020&kid=1546H
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So I'm going to tell you right now that the BDS kit is not what you're looking for if you want to go off-road. It lifts the front using spacers instead of replacing the entire strut assembly with a longer travel shock and coil setup.

My question to you is what are you looking to do with your truck? Obviously you have a truck so therefore you're going to eventually put a trailer on it here in there and or put stuff in the bed because once again it is a truck. What I'm or asking is are you planning to go off-road whatsoever or just planning to stay on the street? These are the things I would like to know to try and help you out.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Morning all,

I've been on a furious debate with myself on what suspension kit to go with. I'm torn between just the typical Fox 2.0 setup versus a more robust 3.5 Coil-over setup. Has anyone has experience with this specific BDS 3.5 CO? It seems to be the most complete full suspension lift for the 2019+ Ranger.

https://bds-suspension.com/product?ma=3&mo=25&ty=1&yr=2019-2020&kid=1546H
I looked at the instructions for the BDS lift and ruled it out. Too much cutting for my taste...

OP
OP
SilverSlugger

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Baking
So I'm going to tell you right now that the BDS kit is not what you're looking for if you want to go off-road. It lifts the front using spacers instead of replacing the entire strut assembly with a longer travel shock and coil setup.

My question to you is what are you looking to do with your truck? Obviously you have a truck so therefore you're going to eventually put a trailer on it here in there and or put stuff in the bed because once again it is a truck. What I'm or asking is are you planning to go off-road whatsoever or just planning to stay on the street? These are the things I would like to know to try and help you out.
Right now I donā€™t tow anything and the future doesnā€™t seem to be going on that direction so Iā€™m not too worried about towing. Thatā€™s interesting about the BDS as the website makes it sound pretty solid. My off-roading consists of dirt roads with a good amount of ruts, bumps, small rocks. Mainly forest service roads, getting to good camping spots; obviously I donā€™t need much but I do want the stance of a lifted truck and improved ride quality. Im pretty sure that I want to go all new suspension on front and back, not just a lift. Iā€™ve seen some running King 2.5ā€™s which to interest me too.

OP
OP
SilverSlugger

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Baking
I looked at the instructions for the BDS lift and ruled it out. Too much cutting for my taste...
hmmm Im not afraid to modify the crash bars but also not of fan of cutting, interesting thanks.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmmm Im not afraid to modify the crash bars but also not of fan of cutting, interesting thanks.
They reposition the differential up front to maintain angles but you have to cut up the factory brackets to do it. Also, if you're lowering the diff you're not really gaining ground clearance so it's not worth the hassle.

If you're serious about offroading APG has good midtravel kits that give you travel and lift. Otherwise I would stick with a more moderate lift/level.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
They reposition the differential up front to maintain angles but you have to cut up the factory brackets to do it. Also, if you're lowering the diff you're not really gaining ground clearance so it's not worth the hassle.

If you're serious about offroading APG has good midtravel kits that give you travel and lift. Otherwise I would stick with a more moderate lift/level.
Hi CO2,

I will state my opinion...NOT a fan of BDS Just my opinion only. The diff drop just means you bought the frame warranty.... I think they thought this was clever to solve the half shaft alignment, but why bother when you reduced ground clearance negating the lift. I had a fellow PM me before I turned off the feature and when I read this diff drop and the, in my opinion, wimpy brackets, I told him to forget...He sought my opinion and then go pissed when I poo,pooed the install. Oh well! If you just want a lifted Mall curiser...fine...going to off road....youse pay youse money and face the warranty consequences.

Working with Professional Off Road Racing teams for 25 years taught me tons of what it takes to make a off road vehicle perform. I had the fortune to co drive with Robby Gordon at the Las Vegas to Reno race...what an experience in a Trick/Trophy Truck with an incredible driver...

This is why on my watch in Ranger we made real performance vehicles...not just decal on the side. FX4 meant something, being a solid over the top OEM performer back in the 4G days.

Best.

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi CO2,

I will state my opinion...NOT a fan of BDS Just my opinion only. The diff drop just means you bought the frame warranty.... I think they thought this was clever to solve the half shaft alignment, but why bother when you reduced ground clearance negating the lift. I had a fellow PM me before I turned off the feature and when I read this diff drop and the, in my opinion, wimpy brackets, I told him to forget...He sought my opinion and then go pissed when I poo,pooed the install. Oh well! If you just want a lifted Mall curiser...fine...going to off road....youse pay youse money and face the warranty consequences.

Working with Professional Off Road Racing teams for 25 years taught me tons of what it takes to make a off road vehicle perform. I had the fortune to co drive with Robby Gordon at the Las Vegas to Reno race...what an experience in a Trick/Trophy Truck with an incredible driver...

This is why on my watch in Ranger we made real performance vehicles...not just decal on the side. FX4 meant something, being a solid over the top OEM performer back in the 4G days.

Best.

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Agreed, Phil! That's why I bought the Fox 2.0s.

Jimmy 2021 FX4

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX FX4
Occupation
Fun Haver
Vehicle Showcase
I experienced the lift/shocks debate with myself as well. I went back and forth a lot in every direction šŸ˜‚ In the end I did go with the BDS 3.5 lift.

I decided to do the BDS 3.5 lift with Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoir DSC's in the front and rear. This route has a full length coilover in the front. No spacer
The rear is lifted by a leaf spring shackle vs a block.
It also comes with the BDS upper control arms and I did the front differential drop to correct front CV angles.
I also, removed the front crash bars and rear black waffle/sound deadeners in the rear of the front wheel wells. I didn't want any rubbing in any condition off road.

I went the Fox 2.5 RR DSC route so I can adjust the suspension for whatever truck application I need. When I am towing or hauling a load in the bed, I can firm up the rear shocks for a better ride with the added weight or when offroading I can adjust front and rear for a better off-road experience. If I am driving paved curvy canyon roads I can adjust the low speed compression to have virtually no body roll. The larger diameter shocks have made a big difference in all driving conditions. I have been super happy with this lift/shock/tire set up.
Truck specs:
- BDS 3.5 lift (BDS UCA's, Rear leaf spring shackles, and differential drop)
- Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoir shocks with Dual Speed Compression adjusters
- Fuel 17x9 +1 offset wheels
- 285/70R 17 Nitro Trail Grappler M/T

1000002816.jpg

1000002815.jpg

1000002807.jpg

1000002808.jpg

1000002810.jpg

1000002947.jpg

1000003040.jpg

Last edited:

Nism0z33

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Saber Crew Cab XLT Fx4
Occupation
Machinist
I also went with the BDS 3.5" Coil-Over lift, but i bought it before they offered the bypass dampening, so its just the 2.0 shocks. its been fine so far. In SoCal, ive been able to drive through Pilot Rock 2N17X, Gold Mountain, and Cleghorn doing all of the offshoots. its been good but theres other stuff i need to do in order to fit the 35" tires i want. so im at an impass where i want to go long travel but my budget says to just cut fenders and work with what i got. I could upgrade the shocks later when i need them, but for now, i clear my 34" tires fine

BDS 3.5" CO lift
Fox 2.0 shocks
Fuel 17x9 +1 wheels
285/75/17 tires

Jimmy 2021 FX4

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX FX4
Occupation
Fun Haver
Vehicle Showcase
I also went with the BDS 3.5" Coil-Over lift, but i bought it before they offered the bypass dampening, so its just the 2.0 shocks. its been fine so far. In SoCal, ive been able to drive through Pilot Rock 2N17X, Gold Mountain, and Cleghorn doing all of the offshoots. its been good but theres other stuff i need to do in order to fit the 35" tires i want. so im at an impass where i want to go long travel but my budget says to just cut fenders and work with what i got. I could upgrade the shocks later when i need them, but for now, i clear my 34" tires fine

BDS 3.5" CO lift
Fox 2.0 shocks
Fuel 17x9 +1 wheels
285/75/17 tires
That is an epic setup! The 2.0 are amazing as well, and you got 34's on your truck! You have done some good off-road field testing for sure! 35's is probably a big jump as you have to start reassessing everything. You might have to jump to the full APG ranger pro-runner! šŸ˜‚
It's super cool to see you testing out the full capabilities of the ranger! šŸ‘Š

Whiplash

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2004 Mazda RX8
Occupation
Route driver
To take the 5G Ranger to next level with a 3.5" lift , I would not do the diff drop and go with the RCV Performance Ultimate IFS CV Axles...2.5 Extended travel coilover adjustable valving front ( King or ICON) and 2.5 rear adjustable valving shocks ... Deaver spring pack with the Kings or Fox , and the softer ICON leaf pack with ICON's...APG Billet UCA's and Tie Rod Ends will get you full use of the the extra travel up front...the softer ICON spring pack will droop more maximizing rear travel....without going full APG long travel this will get you close to the limits of what can be done for bolt on Pre-Runner type performance....
Only thing my Mid-Runner is lacking, but on my short list is the RCV CV Axles.....

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I think most options the Crash bars have to go. They are real fun to get out... But rewarding when they are gone. I had a slight rub after going to my 275/55-R20's and I replaced the crash bars with the ReadyLift set. It all seemed easy enough, (I did NOT remove my wheels to do it). Sawzall and Wheel Gringer and a few hours they are gone.

Stevescootz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor

BDS 3.5" CO lift
Fox 2.0 shocks
Fuel 17x9 +1 wheels
285/75/17 tires
im curious with the fox 2.0 what the max lift you got out of them was?
I read somewhere the fox 2.0's only get like an extra half inch to an inch over the tremor factory ones
Sponsored