Anyone cut a full-size key?

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Has anyone cut a full-size door lock key?
If so, where did you do it?

I have a separate alarm keyfob, and want to ditch the large Ranger fob -- instead just have a normal car key.

But I can't find a place to cut a normal Ford key (ie not one that attaches to a fob)
Sponsored

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Google for a local locksmith and does automotive keys. THey all should be able to do it.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Id like to have one for the tailgate just in case , I tried it with the fob and it was a little scary.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Some Ace Hardware can cut these style keys

dabomb4097

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT 302A FX4 (On Order)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I did something like this for a previous F-150 with the flip-key fob and a hard ignition switch (Not Push to Start). The same key appears to also work with a Ranger.

I bought a 164-R8128 (Strattec 5923293) blank from some random online store for about $30, then took it to a local locksmith shop that cut it to match my flip-fob blade for another $30. Then you can program that new key to the PATS transponder so it'll start the car if needed too. If you have both original flip-fobs you can do a little procedure to program it yourself.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
A guy who does keys for my Dealer cut this key for me. I like it because it is small and not bulky but has a chip in it...not a valet key. Figured it would be best to get a chip in the spare back-up key. Got a Flash Drive case (inserted the key in it) with a belt loop on Amazon and carry it on me for a back-up in case I lose the main Ranger key with Fob.

Extra key.jpg

Key inserted into case.jpg

Case closed.jpg

Last edited:

Iowa Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion SE, 2021 XL Ranger Supercab STX 4x4
Occupation
Automotive Tooling Engineer
Has anyone cut a full-size door lock key?
If so, where did you do it?

I have a separate alarm keyfob, and want to ditch the large Ranger fob -- instead just have a normal car key.

But I can't find a place to cut a normal Ford key (ie not one that attaches to a fob)
I got a spare made at my local Ace Hardware

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
A guy who does keys for my Dealer cut this key for me. I like it because it is small and not bulky but has a chip in it...not a valet key. I got a Flash Drive case (inserted the key in it) with a belt loop on Amazon and carry it on me for a back-up in case I lose the main Ranger key with Fob.

Extra key.jpg

Key inserted into case.jpg

Case closed.jpg
Nice, don't forget to check the battery once in a while. When I bought my Focus, I went through 3 batteries the first year, then hadn't replaced it till I sold it.

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
Nice, don't forget to check the battery once in a while. When I bought my Focus, I went through 3 batteries the first year, then hadn't replaced it till I sold it.
I'm not 100% sure, but that specific key only has the "chip" imbedded in the handle to be able to start the vehicle. Other than manually locking/unlocking doors with the key, there is no "button" to function as a remote FOB, so no batteries are needed. I could be wrong. I'm sure someone will clarify if I'm mistaken.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm not 100% sure, but that specific key only has the "chip" imbedded in the handle to be able to start the vehicle. Other than manually locking/unlocking doors with the key, there is no "button" to function as a remote FOB, so no batteries are needed. I could be wrong. I'm sure someone will clarify if I'm mistaken.
Exactly right!

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Oh! Ok, makes sense.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Is there a part number for such key?
James,
There is not a part number on the key but it has the Ford icon on both sides so you might want to contact your dealer for the part number. It does have a chip in it and will start the truck :)

Extra key 2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: