Anyone changed their OEM Raptor wheelset?

GreyThumper

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor, a BMW R1200GS, a BMW R1150R
The spokes of the stock wheelset stick out a bit, and they can get dinged when going off road.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to get a more dished wheelset. But then, if the tires stick out, it might compromise suspension articulation (tire could hit the fender in rough ground). I'd appreciate any info or advice on this. Thanks!
164025330_4128266693871766_6588047485227820125_n.jpg
Sponsored

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I said that many times about those rims, never understood why they made them stick out that way. I talked with some Australian guys who say the same.

Then again, I asked why they put 20" rims on a 4x4 vehicle.

Galion

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I did my research and couldn’t find many wheel options with the correct offset and hub size (et25~et35 / 93.1) I like my wheels flush with the fenders, hate the skateboard look. ICON has some nice Ranger specific models but still prefer the OE Raptor wheel design, they look great, made for Ford Performance in forged alloy and the color matches the Dyno gray accents. Yes they stick out a bit, but never had a problem while off-roading, they still look like new. I run 25mm quality spacers and stance is spot on.

Last edited:

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
I would not sweat it. Even if you do crawl in tight enough spots to grind a wheel on a rock, it is only a grind mark. Those wheels are high quality units made for the truck. Run em and see what haapens. Grinds will be battle scars is all.. if they even happen.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
I learned with my old Jeep that "Every dent is a memory!".

I still remember the dents, and memories behind them, though I haven't had a Jeep for 12 years and it got baled 7 years ago. And my previous Chevy Volt OEM wheels lasted 8 years, on tarmac.

So... Don't worry, be happy.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
I feel the rim design "poke" is also an excuse to buy aftermarket wheels with a bit of offset.
Anyway, if serious offroad is implied, the best rim in that case is a steel one, which you can repair on the trail with two mallets and stick welding. Sure, they look "technical" not to call them ugly.

https://www.alcar.it/xx/steel-wheels/dotz-survival/dakar/

Actually, I could enjoy the "look of purpose", except maybe of the chinbar which, while I also like, it defeats the off-road purpose.
1616579848680.png

OP
OP
GreyThumper

GreyThumper

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel the rim design "poke" is also an excuse to buy aftermarket wheels with a bit of offset.
Anyway, if serious offroad is implied, the best rim in that case is a steel one, which you can repair on the trail with two mallets and stick welding. Sure, they look "technical" not to call them ugly.

Actually, I could enjoy the "look of purpose", except maybe of the chinbar which, while I also like, it defeats the off-road purpose.
Whoah, those steel wheels look awesome!

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Based on everything said here, yeah, I think I'll just stick to the OEM wheels, as long as any damage is just surface grinding.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Whoah, those steel wheels look awesome!

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Based on everything said here, yeah, I think I'll just stick to the OEM wheels, as long as any damage is just surface grinding.
For me personally I have a separate set of wheels and tires. Its a pain to have to change my wheels anytime Im going offroad, but I cant do anything with the 20" OEM wheels. I do have a compressor, impact gun, and stands. They are way to expensive to damage up and bad for resale when damaged. I understand dents are character for some, but for me I try and keep my vehicles in great condition. Its not just for me, but Im thinking of the next person purchasing from me. If they see a dent less and clean vehicle, it will assure their confidence it was taken care off. I have a very strict maintenance I do with all my vehicles. I sold our 2015 Ecosport and it looked new inside and out. In fact, the buyer swore it was brand new, but it definitely was not. If you look close, you could see wear on the gear selector. Another reason I only do mild offroad, nothing where you know panels are going to get smashed.

OP
OP
GreyThumper

GreyThumper

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me personally I have a separate set of wheels and tires. Its a pain to have to change my wheels anytime Im going offroad, but I cant do anything with the 20" OEM wheels. I do have a compressor, impact gun, and stands. They are way to expensive to damage up and bad for resale when damaged. I understand dents are character for some, but for me I try and keep my vehicles in great condition. Its not just for me, but Im thinking of the next person purchasing from me. If they see a dent less and clean vehicle, it will assure their confidence it was taken care off. I have a very strict maintenance I do with all my vehicles. I sold our 2015 Ecosport and it looked new inside and out. In fact, the buyer swore it was brand new, but it definitely was not. If you look close, you could see wear on the gear selector. Another reason I only do mild offroad, nothing where you know panels are going to get smashed.
Just curious, why not sell the 20" OEM wheel and tire set? I'm assuming the tires on your offroad wheelset are chosen for mild offroading (17"s and ATs? Not MTs?), so it might also also be more comfortable on road than a 20" wheel with thinner sidewall tires. Why not just have the offroad wheelset mounted all the time?

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Just curious, why not sell the 20" OEM wheel and tire set? I'm assuming the tires on your offroad wheelset are chosen for mild offroading (17"s and ATs? Not MTs?), so it might also also be more comfortable on road than a 20" wheel with thinner sidewall tires. Why not just have the offroad wheelset mounted all the time?
You er correct on the wheels I have, Well they are BF MTs on 17s. I bought them slightly used from a guy that never really offroaded. My offroaders are beat up and look out of place when the truck is in road queen mode :D . Plus I want to be able to sale the stock wheels with the unit. If I do sale it, which Im banking on the next gen to be a better set up. We will see.
Sponsored

Last edited: