Any good spots in the cab to steal power from?

ksuds49

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor & 2005 Land Rover LR3
Occupation
Do things for peoples
Are there any good spots in the cab to steal power from for CB/HAM radio power?
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I ran #12 wire from the battery to behind the rear seat of the crew cab by just puncturing the grommet that the wiring harness goes through under the steering wheel and running it through the door trim right next to the other huge bundle of wires is. I wouldn't trust tapping a fuse in the panel for anything more than a 5W CB.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
I ran #12 wire from the battery to behind the rear seat of the crew cab by just puncturing the grommet that the wiring harness goes through under the steering wheel and running it through the door trim right next to the other huge bundle of wires is. I wouldn't trust tapping a fuse in the panel for anything more than a 5W CB.
Let me start by saying I'm not a ham operator. And, I'm all for running wires; when I installed my own stereos and CBs I'd run a wire to have a hot wire straight to the battery.

With that said, in the BCM under the wheel there is a really big hot wire into the BCM, where all the fuses are. For example, the 2, 12v ports have separate fuses. I don't know how big off the top of my head, but at least 10 amps. I'm also pretty sure there are always hot fuses though I don't know for 100% certainty.

What is a ham radio transmit power? Let's just say for example it's 20 watts. That's 1.7 amps for the transmitter, and add in the same for the radio electronics (which is overkill, likely) and you're talking less than 4 amps.

Just my 2 pennies.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Let me start by saying I'm not a ham operator. And, I'm all for running wires; when I installed my own stereos and CBs I'd run a wire to have a hot wire straight to the battery.

With that said, in the BCM under the wheel there is a really big hot wire into the BCM, where all the fuses are. For example, the 2, 12v ports have separate fuses. I don't know how big off the top of my head, but at least 10 amps. I'm also pretty sure there are always hot fuses though I don't know for 100% certainty.

What is a ham radio transmit power? Let's just say for example it's 20 watts. That's 1.7 amps for the transmitter, and add in the same for the radio electronics (which is overkill, likely) and you're talking less than 4 amps.

Just my 2 pennies.
Ham radios draw an average of 10A while transmitting on high power (50w FM mobile). An hf rig can draw over 20A (100w)
The big fat wire is there because whatever it’s hooked to needs to use that amount of amps. It’s not designed to be stolen from, so you can’t rely on it.

Radios are at best 30-40% efficient so if it’s transmit power is 50w it’s going to draw a lot more amps than 50/12.

I don’t want to get into a bunch of theory, but I hold an extra class license currently.

Last edited:

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Ham radios draw an average of 10A while transmitting on high power (50w FM mobile). An hf rig can draw over 20A (100w)
The big fat wire is there because whatever it’s hooked to needs to use that amount of amps. It’s not designed to be stolen from, so you can’t rely on it.

Radios are at best 30-40% efficient so if it’s transmit power is 50w it’s going to draw a lot more amps than 50/12.

I don’t want to get into a bunch of theory, but I hold an extra class license currently.
10/4.

I would possibly argue that there are a lot of unused fuses in the BCM, and as I said as example, the 12 V ports are likely not being used, as well as many other circuits are not being utilized at full draw. The power input to the bcm looks to me to be a #4 wire, and that's a big pipe (size is my best guess)

But, to your point, run a new wire and not have to worry. It's all good.

Pirate

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Bush Pilot
I mounted a ham radio under the passenger seat. Ran power through the grommet behind the glove box. A coat hangar and some tape make firewall penetration ezpz.
Sponsored