First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
So, is it just a coincidence that Deer Hunter was set in Clairton, PA, a suburb of Pittsburgh? 🦌 🤔
At that time yeah, you didn’t have deer in town. Although much of the movie was actually filmed in Johnstown. Robert DeNiro mispronouncing Rolling Rock beer several times hits me like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Sponsored

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Forgive the ignorance, but I'm not seeing the connection between the lock & wildlife. Genuine question, what am I missing here?
I think the connection is between the lock and the tweakers. Hitting wildlife might cost more in damage than the price of replacing a tailgate an addict could easily steal because the lock was disconnected. Frankly, until joining this forum, I didn’t even know that was a thing.

Maybe the junkies in the GTA are too lazy to lug a big, heavy tailgate to the local body shop for a few bucks.
Getting your tailgate and taillights stolen isn’t a problem here. Collisions with wildlife is a problem.

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I think the connection is between the lock and the tweakers. Hitting wildlife might cost more in damage than the price of replacing a tailgate an addict could easily steal because the lock was disconnected. Frankly, until joining this forum, I didn’t even know that was a thing.

Maybe the junkies in the GTA are too lazy to lug a big, heavy tailgate to the local body shop for a few bucks.
My wife volunteered at the addiction centre for one of the major GTA hospitals for a while. There was this girl there who was such a crystal meth addict, that her body was starting to produce it! She had so much crystal meth flowing through her system, that periodically, it would clump up and start poking out of her skin like a glass shard. She'd harvest it, and do it again, to the point that she didn't actually need to go to her dealers anymore. This was a few years ago, so I'm going to assume that she's dead now, but that was a new one for me....

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
My wife volunteered at the addiction centre for one of the major GTA hospitals for a while. There was this girl there who was such a crystal meth addict, that her body was starting to produce it! She had so much crystal meth flowing through her system, that periodically, it would clump up and start poking out of her skin like a glass shard. She'd harvest it, and do it again, to the point that she didn't actually need to go to her dealers anymore. This was a few years ago, so I'm going to assume that she's dead now, but that was a new one for me....
I don't think I wanted to know that was possible...

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
My own personal total over the years has been 3 kangaroos, ( 2) in a Bronco with a bar, no damage, 1 in a Kia Sorento - minor damage, a bull in the same Bronco before I fitted the bar- new steel bumber new RHS fender, RHS chassis straightening and new RHS headlight blinker assembly needed, two sheep, Bronco again - no damage, and a wedge tail eagle - same scenario as the truck in the video above - feeding on roadkill by side of the tar, and the stupid bird flew into me instead of the other way, in my Ford Hardtop, cost me a headlight and grille.
Wedge tail eagles are massive birds - about 20% bigger again than an American bald eagle. An average one has a body alone of 1&1/2 yards and a wingspan of 10 feet or so. Farmers hate them because they're known to carry off lambs and even newborn calves. There are even stories of young children ( babies & toddlers) being taken - but never proven. They're also really common.
Never hit a camel thank god, but I've seen a Mack prime mover that did - at speed, truck was totaled and driver lucky to excape with just minor cuts and bruises.

In case you just think I'm just a terrible driver, remember that in Australia Cattle ranches are vast - thousands of square miles, and mostly unfenced. Only major freeways are fenced, and only on the coastal strip - once you move inland you just avoid traveling at dusk and dawn, and takes your chances.

Oh and in case you are wondering about the cockatoo at the end they've been known to descend on houses on mass and if they like the taste of your wood they will chew your verandah railings and any other exposed wood to pieces because they like to sharpen their beaks. So if you see one, it's always a good move not to encourage them. https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2003/10/09/2045456.htm

Last edited:

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor