5 TPMS Sensors, My Experience

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
After reading much conflicting information, but finding a single Ranger owner who had a positive experience, I added a 5th matching wheel and tire with TPMS sensor to my Ranger today. It went perfectly, with no tools other than my floor jack, 19mm socket, breaker bar, and torque wrench. I have read many posts here and on other websites about a TPMS reset tool that is required for this job. I'm not sure why.

I used OE Motorcraft TPMS sensors, TPMS42 HC3Z-1A189-A, purchased from eBay for $137.92, shipped to my house.

Because of the conflicting information, I wanted to be sure that my Ranger would adapt to the changes without intervention. I began by installing the 5th sensor in the spare tire carrier, inflated to 40 PSI (to contrast with the existing road wheels at 30 PSI) and drove it for about 50 miles. As expected, the Ranger did not detect the new sensor in a non-spinning wheel. I let it sit overnight. The next morning, I did a 5-tire rotation which placed the new sensor, now deflated to 30 PSI, in the right rear position. The former left front tire was inflated to 40 PSI and placed in the spare tire carrier.

When I pulled out of my garage, I brought up the tire pressure display on the dash, and it erroneously indicated that the left front tire was inflated to 40 PSI. So, the first bit of useful information is that the TPMS receiver at the left front wheel can still detect the signal from the tire in the spare carrier. I pulled out of the driveway, carrying my household trash to the dump. It took about 2 miles at 35 MPH for the left front TPMS receiver to sense the stronger signal from the new sensor, and update the dash display. The 40 PSI spare (I always carry them overinflated) does not interfere with the four mounted wheels.

I can't say whether this will work with aftermarket sensors, or OE sensors with a different part number, but I'm happy to report that it is possible to rotate tires, swap complete sets of tires, and add a fifth sensor to the Ranger, without any reset procedure or special tool. Like most newer vehicles, the TPMS system adapts automatically to sensor changes. And... Four other tires, with the same OE sensors, sitting less than 5 feet away, on a waist-high shelf, do not interfere with or override the signals of the sensors mounted on the truck.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
After reading much conflicting information, but finding a single Ranger owner who had a positive experience, I added a 5th matching wheel and tire with TPMS sensor to my Ranger today. It went perfectly, with no tools other than my floor jack, 19mm socket, breaker bar, and torque wrench. I have read many posts here and on other websites about a TPMS reset tool that is required for this job. I'm not sure why.

I used OE Motorcraft TPMS sensors, TPMS42 HC3Z-1A189-A, purchased from eBay for $137.92, shipped to my house.

Because of the conflicting information, I wanted to be sure that my Ranger would adapt to the changes without intervention. I began by installing the 5th sensor in the spare tire carrier, inflated to 40 PSI (to contrast with the existing road wheels at 30 PSI) and drove it for about 50 miles. As expected, the Ranger did not detect the new sensor in a non-spinning wheel. I let it sit overnight. The next morning, I did a 5-tire rotation which placed the new sensor, now deflated to 30 PSI, in the right rear position. The former left front tire was inflated to 40 PSI and placed in the spare tire carrier.

When I pulled out of my garage, I brought up the tire pressure display on the dash, and it erroneously indicated that the left front tire was inflated to 40 PSI. So, the first bit of useful information is that the TPMS receiver at the left front wheel can still detect the signal from the tire in the spare carrier. I pulled out of the driveway, carrying my household trash to the dump. It took about 2 miles at 35 MPH for the left front TPMS receiver to sense the stronger signal from the new sensor, and update the dash display. The 40 PSI spare (I always carry them overinflated) does not interfere with the four mounted wheels.

I can't say whether this will work with aftermarket sensors, or OE sensors with a different part number, but I'm happy to report that it is possible to rotate tires, swap complete sets of tires, and add a fifth sensor to the Ranger, without any reset procedure or special tool. Like most newer vehicles, the TPMS system adapts automatically to sensor changes. And... Four other tires, with the same OE sensors, sitting less than 5 feet away, on a waist-high shelf, do not interfere with or override the signals of the sensors mounted on the truck.
Hi Mike,

I really wish that the Ford display for tire pressure would include display of the 5th TPMS sensor. Something I think is an excellent feature that would have been quite beneficial to the customer.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Mike,

I really wish that the Ford display for tire pressure would include display of the 5th TPMS sensor. Something I think is an excellent feature that would have been quite beneficial to the customer.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I agree, Phil. A local mechanic, who does mostly BMW work for me, told me that the newer Hondas and Toyotas not only read five sensors, but display a warning lamp when the spare tire is out of spec. These are almost certainly space-saver donuts, which makes it more surprising (yet, a welcome change) to me.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Awesome. I put a matching spare with TPMS in the spare location several months ago and have been meaning to rotate it in. good to hear that it's not going to cause trouble.

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Bump for an old thread with an question and update.

Has anyone who has 5 TPMS sensors had problems with sensor errors?

A few months ago I turned my spare into a road wheel with factory TPMS sensor. A month ago I started getting a TPMS sensor warning and the left front tire was not reading. Took it to my dealer and they relearned the system. That seemed to take care of it then a couple of days ago it started doing the same thing. This time with the right rear tire not reading.

I'm starting to wonder if the 5th sensor may be causing an issue.

Thanks!

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I'm running factory gray sport wheels with original TPMS sensors. Factory tires were replaced prior to delivery last July.

Last December I built up a proper matching spare tire and wheel with a new OEM TPMS purchased from Benny at @LevittownFordParts.com . I have not used the spare yet and have had no weirdness with the original four TPMS sensors or system.

Edit: There was a post here by someone who runs 5 sensors and everything worked properly even after rotating the spare in.

OP
OP

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to rotate tires frequently, especially when new, so I've done enough of them for each tire to occupy each of the five positions at least once. I've seen no errors in almost 7,000 miles of driving.

When I see sensor errors, and tire pressure is normal, the first thing I check is the sensor battery levels. You need an expensive tool to do this, but every tire shop has one. I recently had a sensor go bad on my wife's BMW, and my local shop was able to diagnose it in under five minutes.

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
I'm running factory gray sport wheels with original TPMS sensors. Factory tires were replaced prior to delivery last July.

Last December I built up a proper matching spare tire and wheel with a new OEM TPMS purchased from Benny at @LevittownFordParts.com . I have not used the spare yet and have had no weirdness with the original four TPMS sensors or system.

Edit: There was a post here by someone who runs 5 sensors and everything worked properly even after rotating the spare in.
Thanks. I have rotated the 5th tire in and the system had no problem picking it up. That was a couple of weeks before all this sensor weirdness started.

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
I like to rotate tires frequently, especially when new, so I've done enough of them for each tire to occupy each of the five positions at least once. I've seen no errors in almost 7,000 miles of driving.

When I see sensor errors, and tire pressure is normal, the first thing I check is the sensor battery levels. You need an expensive tool to do this, but every tire shop has one. I recently had a sensor go bad on my wife's BMW, and my local shop was able to diagnose it in under five minutes.
It's going into the dealer in the morning. I assume they have the tool and would be able to tell if a TPMS battery died.

Thanks!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Bump for an old thread with an question and update.

Has anyone who has 5 TPMS sensors had problems with sensor errors?

A few months ago I turned my spare into a road wheel with factory TPMS sensor. A month ago I started getting a TPMS sensor warning and the left front tire was not reading. Took it to my dealer and they relearned the system. That seemed to take care of it then a couple of days ago it started doing the same thing. This time with the right rear tire not reading.

I'm starting to wonder if the 5th sensor may be causing an issue.

Thanks!
Read an article about RF interference messing with TPMS sensors. Something as simple as a 12V phone charger in your car can block the signal and throw up errors. In essence noisy DC switching power supplies becomes the culprit. Disconnect all the extra stuff and see if it corrects itself. Probability is high that that’s the issue!

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Read an article about RF interference messing with TPMS sensors. Something as simple as a 12V phone charger in your car can block the signal and throw up errors. In essence noisy DC switching power supplies becomes the culprit. Disconnect all the extra stuff and see if it corrects itself. Probability is high that that’s the issue!
I saw something on that and I removed my dashcam. Nothing else plugged in. I still get the error.

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Hi Gents, back with an update. I went to the dealer today. After they did some research they told me the following.
The TPMS system will only read 4 sensors. If you have 5, sometimes it may read the spare sensor instead of one of the wheels on the road. It gets confused because the spare doesn't rotate and will have an error.

I had the sensor removed from the spare and it looks like that took care of my problem. It is now reading all 4 road wheels.

Just FYI.

OP
OP

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Gents, back with an update. I went to the dealer today. After they did some research they told me the following.
The TPMS system will only read 4 sensors. If you have 5, sometimes it may read the spare sensor instead of one of the wheels on the road. It gets confused because the spare doesn't rotate and will have an error.

I had the sensor removed from the spare and it looks like that took care of my problem. It is now reading all 4 road wheels.

Just FYI.
Sorry to hear that. Mine is still working flawlessly with five sensors.
Sponsored