Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I've not been off road in a while. Maybe a month? But in that month a lot of highway miles. I'm a little paranoid about how easy the shift knob is to bump so I check it as start up procedure and then at stoplights every so often. Haven't been in 4WD at all.

Then I'm cruising down Carefree Highway doing 65 without a care in the world. The display lights up with an amber 4x4 Service Light. WTF!!!

Immediately I pull off to the side. This is AZ so I'm always 10 feet away from a navigable dirt path of some sort. The one I was near was flat and level. So I reboot the truck - turn it off open the driver door, shut it, hit the remote lock, then hit the remote unlock and open the door and then close it and start. Light goes away.

About that time I get a Ford App Message telling me I had a "power train failure" but no details - I assume it's more generic than 4x4 Service.

So I drive the truck about 4 truck lengths on this dirt road and then reverse back to the start - in 2wd. No issues.

Next I drive the truck about 4 truck lengths on this dirt road and then reverse back to the start - in 4wd-HIGH. No issues.

Then I drive the truck about 4 truck lengths on this dirt road and then reverse back to the start - in 4wd-LOW. No issues.

I put it back into 2wd drive the truck about 4 truck lengths on this dirt road and then reverse back to the start. No issues.

So I reboot the truck again.
Get on Carefree Highway again.
Head for home and park it.

What the hell was that all about? I'm trying to get into to the dealership but they only have service appointments way out in the future. Safe to drive? Tow it in? What's the deal with these warnings?
Sponsored

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I would venture to guess just a glitch somewhere in the matrix
Seriously, these midern day cars are so reliant on sensors and programming that a little peiece of dirt can trhow of a speed sensor for just a second and now traction, trail, lane keep, everything starts to go haywire because of a parameter not being right for a second.
Becoming the nature of the beast

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Wonder if the connection to the t-case motor is having an issue.

Unplug it and look for some green crusties. Check the fluid level since you're under there.
Sponsored