4G/LTE Hotspot question

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hotspot is useless in my opinion. What phone does not have one? Does anyone not have unlimited data anymore?

I just think the hotspot feature is dated.

The bad thing about unlimited data is that when you go over limit, they will slow down your connection.

So....... having an extra hotspot is not so bad if there's data hungry family members.
Sponsored

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
So I'm curious about the 4G/LTE Hotspot. Not that familiar with it because I've never used it on any vehicle I have owned. Does it have anything to do with the ability to use the Ford Pass app features like unlock and remote start?? The reason I'm asking is because the 4G hotspot is an automatic delete on my order.

Another nice feature is vehicle location. If it ever gets stolen, you can help the law authorities find it.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Another nice feature is vehicle location. If it ever gets stolen, you can help the law authorities find it.
My parents had an early Trailblazer with GM's Onstar. That equipment was really obvious and thieves knew how to disable it fast. They still got their vehicle back after it was stolen, but the Onstar didn't help matters. Gotta figure Ford's system is a little better since the hardware is more buried.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Who knows what they are doing. Could be eliminating the 4G LTE and rolling back to plain old 4G. There is a difference, but probably not noticeable as most people won't be downloading large amounts of data in a vehicle. LTE technology offers faster data connection and lower latency. Additionally, LTE lets more phones connect to the same network at one time. And they can't go back to 3G, as that service is being eliminated, across the US at least.
You have it backwards LTE was the stop gap between 3G and 4G. When the 4G standard was released by ITU technology wasn't available to meet 4G requirements. LTE-A is basically 4G and is what most carriers offer today.

donsmith

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Television cameraman and video editor
So I'm curious about the 4G/LTE Hotspot. Not that familiar with it because I've never used it on any vehicle I have owned. Does it have anything to do with the ability to use the Ford Pass app features like unlock and remote start?? The reason I'm asking is because the 4G hotspot is an automatic delete on my order.
I have a ‘22 Lariat with the Hotspot and tried it on a 200 mile trip. My wife worked on her laptop on the trip and it kept disconnecting. We took another route back home and it still could not hold a connection. I did not buy the service. Also, the 120v plug in the back side of the center console could not power my wife’s laptop! I had to buy an plug-in inverter for one of the front 12v plugs to power the laptop. Just heard today that the Hotspot it’s being removed from the ‘23 Ranger due to lack of interest. The Hotspot from my phone worked better anyway. No dropouts and no $20/month charge.
Sponsored