First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
The 6cyl ecoboost engines are wide. There is no application of a 6cyl ecoboost with a longitudinal engine mount in a chassis as narrow as the ranger. I wouldn't be surprised if they change things around in the next generation because they could apparently sell overpowered rangers like crack, but it isn't happening in this generation. (I just really hope they don't screw up the ranger to make this possible, by making it 6 inches wider or something.)
You know, I don't know if the 5.0 is wider than the 3.5 once you start adding turbos. I never considered that. I'd rather have the 5.0, let's see what the Bronco comes out with, I thought that was supposed to be the same chassis as the Ranger.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
You know, I don't know if the 5.0 is wider than the 3.5 once you start adding turbos. I never considered that. I'd rather have the 5.0, let's see what the Bronco comes out with, I thought that was supposed to be the same chassis as the Ranger.
This generation of ranger was never intended for a wide v-engine--the aussie version uses an i5 rather than a v6 (better engine for a truck anyway; a v6 is for your minivan or your taurus). The rumors are that the next version is being designed with an engine compartment layout that will handle a larger v. Hopefully that's by changing the angles on the sheet metal and moving components rather than making it significantly wider, but we'll have to see. I'd prefer if they'd release a nice i-6 but the economics of being able to use the same v6 in fwd and rwd applications make that very unlikely to ever happen.

Last edited:

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 5.0 was only about 2 inches wider than the 2.3, and about 6 inches longer. I think the 3.5 is a lot wider than the 5.0, like 16 inches wider.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The 5.0 Coyote is wider than a 460 big block.

From what I can find, the 3.5 EB is almost the same width as the 5.0 (28.5 inches vs 28 inches).

A 460 is 26" wide for reference

I can't see the 2.3 being anywhere near that wide.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 5.0 was only about 2 inches wider than the 2.3, and about 6 inches longer. I think the 3.5 is a lot wider than the 5.0, like 16 inches wider.
Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if you could cram in a 5.0 but not a turbo v6. Similarly, ford could probably fit a non-turbo v6 in the current generation if they wanted to, just like the other midsize trucks, but it wouldn't be an upgrade from the current engine and would cost more. There's also a distinction between what's possible as an aftermarket hack and what's practical on the assembly line. (If you check out pictures of the ranger line, the engine and transmission are a unit that gets attached to the frame, then the body gets dropped on top. The narrowest space inside the body is the absolute widest any part of the engine assembly can be, even if it might be possible to have some components extend a little wider if you were to drop the engine in from the top.)

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm surprised that the 2.3 is that wide.