3.5 in a Ranger?

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 (well, it started that way)
Unfortunately, I have it on fairly good authority they will never be doing that in any real way (read: maybe a 50 example limited edition if anything). It wouldn't make sense for either side as much fun as it would be because the negative for them is it would cannibalize their own sales of Rangers, F150s, Raptors, etc that all have their own market segments (how the auto industry is nowadays) and the negative for us is it would likely end up being a $65k+ Ranger and I do not know anyone that would be interested in that.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
If I was working for ford and wanted to sell a lot of trucks. I’d keep the xl and xlt as is with engines. Keep prices with solid margins in the upper 20/Lower 30k range and then offer the lariat as is for 38/40 and throw in an option for the v6 for another 6 grand as the lariat grande. Then when they’re ready do the raptor and charge 50. I think multiple price points will get more people interested. I know many like myself who want a smaller truck. It’s such an open category. Tacoma owner the sector by doing minimal work. Make the ranger the go to mid sized truck and they’ll take share from large suv market, own the mid size truck market, and get people from full sized truck market to pay up for nice ranger. Volume would only grow. I think a beefier engine would help over all sales not hurt them. As I told others in another thread about ford and the stock. If they execute this category right they’re stock would be a buy. At this point it’s settling out and new mgt needs to show us their vision.

Fjsteven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Sport
I’d pay more for one if the v6s. Not sure about 62k but I’d add 5k to get one. Either the 2.7 or 3.5 would be obnoxious.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
and the negative for us is it would likely end up being a $65k+ Ranger and I do not know anyone that would be interested in that.
You might be surprised. You have to remember that the choice of a Ranger for a lot of people has absolutely nothing to do with price. It's about having a truck that is the correct size. Not to mention, just think how fast an Ecoboost 3.5 would be if it doesn't have to pull around a huge boat of an F150. The 2.3 is already the fastest midsize truck, a 3.5 turbo would be a monster.

I hate F150's. Too damn big.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
You might be surprised. You have to remember that the choice of a Ranger for a lot of people has absolutely nothing to do with price. It's about having a truck that is the correct size. Not to mention, just think how fast an Ecoboost 3.5 would be if it doesn't have to pull around a huge boat of an F150. The 2.3 is already the fastest midsize truck, a 3.5 turbo would be a monster.

I hate F150's. Too damn big.
Yep. There’s more people looking at mid sized trucks then most realize.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
A turbo v6 would be a lot of fun in the Ranger. With the rumors of Toyota considering a Tacoma hybrid, I do not think we will see Ford invest on putting a turbo v6 in the Ranger. Just a guess, but I’ll bet Ford moves forward with the 2.3L EcoBoost, until they have a hybrid or full electric motor for the Ranger.

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 (well, it started that way)
If I was working for ford and wanted to sell a lot of trucks. I’d keep the xl and xlt as is with engines. Keep prices with solid margins in the upper 20/Lower 30k range and then offer the lariat as is for 38/40 and throw in an option for the v6 for another 6 grand as the lariat grande. Then when they’re ready do the raptor and charge 50. I think multiple price points will get more people interested. I know many like myself who want a smaller truck. It’s such an open category. Tacoma owner the sector by doing minimal work. Make the ranger the go to mid sized truck and they’ll take share from large suv market, own the mid size truck market, and get people from full sized truck market to pay up for nice ranger. Volume would only grow. I think a beefier engine would help over all sales not hurt them. As I told others in another thread about ford and the stock. If they execute this category right they’re stock would be a buy. At this point it’s settling out and new mgt needs to show us their vision.
Ah I keep forgetting as well for most of you the Raptor is only slightly higher up price wise. Here in the not so great state of CA, Raptors still run you 80k+ if you're lucky after all of our assortment of taxes.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My first thought was "The V6 Ecoboost will fit?"

Then I read the article.

They are mounting the Ecoboost V6 in a mid-engine configuration for a race truck. :brokenheart:

Oh well, plenty of room for it in the bed.

As mentioned, the 2.3 is already the fastest mid-size truck, at least for now.

Would I have bought the V6 EB if it was available in the Ranger?

You Betcha.

Would I dump the one one I have to get a new one with the EB V6?

Probably not, unless it came in a newly designed Ranger that offered a big increase in capabilities in other areas as well.

This one does all I need.

Now if the new Bronco comes with the EB V6, the wife may be needing one of those even if she doesn't realize it yet. :D

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the current 2019 Ranger has all the power and speed we need, and yes, if they came out with a V6 EB, a lot of guys would come over from other trucks, and a lot of current Ranger owners, including me, would upgrade! The best solution, as one member above suggested, would be to keep the two lower-level trims as they are, more or less, but provide engine options to the Lariat package for those who want them. We would win, and so would Ford (in terms of sales)!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
There are a few people that have put a coyote 5.0 in this Ranger, it'll fit.
Do you have a link to any of those builds?

I can't find any info on it.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
There are a few people that have put a coyote 5.0 in this Ranger, it'll fit.
The 6cyl ecoboost engines are wide. There is no application of a 6cyl ecoboost with a longitudinal engine mount in a chassis as narrow as the ranger. I wouldn't be surprised if they change things around in the next generation because they could apparently sell overpowered rangers like crack, but it isn't happening in this generation. (I just really hope they don't screw up the ranger to make this possible, by making it 6 inches wider or something.)

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Reactions: Doc