First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
For those of you that tow, I can see an aux fan being a good thing. I had one on my Freightliner and I am positive it's use kept that POS alive longer than it deserved.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Waxthis

Waxthis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech
If you google up some photos of the 2024 Ranger's engine compartment you'll see a fan mounted to the radiator.....meaning an electric fan. Several posts about "fan noise" on the 6G forums.
Seriously doubt you could adapt one to our 5G....too much to get into with wiring, sensors, puters, ect.
However, seems very easy to install an aftermarket unit, wire it separately to a simple on/off switch so you could manually turn on when needed, like hot outside temps while towing.
Been thinking of doing something like that to my 2021 to use while towing our trailer during summer months. Have dons similar to other vehicles in the past.
Thanks for the info...

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt., Grumpy Old Senior Citizen
For those of you that tow, I can see an aux fan being a good thing. I had one on my Freightliner and I am positive it's use kept that POS alive longer than it deserved.
I took a look behind the grill and although there is room for a "pusher" type fan, it would have to mount in front of the inter-cooler. Don't know how effective it would be to cool the radiator, having to push air thru the inter-cooler first, that air picking up heat from the int-cool.
I may contact Derale and see what they say...

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
If heat is a problem look at the mountune triple pass radiator. I did one with me electric fan at the same time and in the last 5-6 months the fan has come on maybe a dozen times where it actually reached 207° where I have it set at.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If heat is a problem look at the mountune triple pass radiator. I did one with me electric fan at the same time and in the last 5-6 months the fan has come on maybe a dozen times where it actually reached 207° where I have it set at.
I wouldn't say heat has been a problem, as even towing the temps rarely get above 210-215 on a hot day, and a bit more when negotiating a long grade or climbing a mountain grade. Level, there is no problem. But I like to be "pro-active" and anything I can do to help is a gain.
OE radiator and clutch fan does an adequate job while towing, but a little extra is always welcome.
A good quality aux. fan from Derale some wire and switch is a lot less than going to a new radiator and associated fan...did something similar on an E-450 based motor home with a V-10 for under $200.
Also, I have to do this while under my 8 year, 100,000 mike warranty, and don't know how replacing the radiator with aftermarket would affect anything. Lately, from posts, it looks like Ford will look at any excuse to not honor a warranty due to "modifications".
As the aux fan is a simple add-on and just pushing air, don't think it would affect the warranty.

Last edited:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, Derale recommends NOT using an aux pusher fan as it would create a "heat pocket" due to both fans spinning in different directions at different speeds.
They actually recommend adding an aux transmission cooler.
That is something I'll pass on as it looks like it would require ditching the factory cooler and replacing it with an aftermarket unit, which I'm sure would raise all kind of red flags to a warranty claim, should something happen....
Oh Well........

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
here is a pic of the 24-ranger fan assembly
20240522_100336_resized.jpg

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
intercooler pipes run under the radiator now

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Sadly, we don't have a coolant temp sensor. Ours appears to measure the temp of the cylinder head. I've never seen mine move more than a degree or two around 200.
We have 2 sensors - ECT and CHT
The ECT is Primary for PCM Engine Fuel Control / Clutch Fan Control
The CHT is Primary for Gauge / IPC Indication
The 2 combined (if in an overheat condition) can place the truck in LIMP Mode (Fail Safe)
Sponsored