2020 ranger brake like setup different than the 2019

elitemav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Was going to change the brake light bulb for the 2020 and only saw 2019 videos online of how to do it thinking it would be the same and they show 3 different connectors but on the 2020 its one and its a different type and I cant find how to remove it. and don't want to break anything. weird they changed the design in just 1 year. anyone know how to remove it to replace the bulb?
Sponsored

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I believe the XLT has LED lights, at least mine does. No bulb to replace.

OTOH if you are referring to the 3rd brake light (up on the roof) they need to be twisted to remove the socket. The wiring is tied too close to do this easily so you have to force the wire bundle a bit.

OP
OP
elitemav

elitemav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe the XLT has LED lights, at least mine does. No bulb to replace.

OTOH if you are referring to the 3rd brake light (up on the roof) they need to be twisted to remove the socket. The wiring is tied too close to do this easily so you have to force the wire bundle a bit.
I meant the brake light LED, I got a aftermarket one that strobes for a second when braking and then turns static. the idea is to get the persons behind you attention a little more so they don't smack into the back of you in traffic.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
I meant the brake light LED, I got a aftermarket one that strobes for a second when braking and then turns static. the idea is to get the persons behind you attention a little more so they don't smack into the back of you in traffic.
You can replace the bulb in the 3rd brake light if that's what you're asking. But the left and right tail/brake/turn/reverse lights on the bed are a sealed unit. You can't replace the bulbs in them.

OP
OP
elitemav

elitemav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can replace the bulb in the 3rd brake light if that's what you're asking. But the left and right tail/brake/turn/reverse lights on the bed are a sealed unit. You can't replace the bulbs in them.
ok thanks I figured it must have been a sealed unit because I couldn't figure out how to take it apart when its usually a twist and pull. Thanks for the reply guys I'll just send the bulbs back its no biggie.

V1KT3R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 1990 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Do you have a link to the light you bought?

OP
OP
elitemav

elitemav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a link to the light you bought?
It was on Amazon:
BRISHINE 7443 7440 W21W T20 LED Flashing Strobe Blinking Brake Light Bulbs, Super Bright 52-SMD Chipsets LED Bulbs with Projector for Brake Tail Stop Lights, Brilliant Pure Red(Pack of 2)

OP
OP
elitemav

elitemav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I sent them back already.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
That should be criminal with the prices they are charging for tail lights ($1200+). I know LED's last a long time, but it's definitely possible for one to burn out or get messed up without breaking the entire housing...
Sponsored