John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4
Occupation
aerospace
Good Morning,

Wonder if anyone has removed and replaced a wheel stud on the front 4x4 hub?
Would like to avoid removing the hub if at all possible - but not sure if that can be accomplished with space is available??

Bought a used 2019 Ranger 4x4 from a dealer with aftermarket wheels and much to my surprise the existing front wheel studs do not fully penetrate the lug nuts. Checking the back, the wheel studs are flush with the nut when fully torqued. Lug nuts are non-acorn style traditional, so one can easily see stud/thread penetration.

Perhaps the front hubs were R&R'd at one time and the aftermarket front hubs have shorter wheel studs?? This all was revealed when i tried to replace the existing aftermarket tire/wheel combo with a stock Ford tire/wheel combo (which actually resulted in even less stud thread penetration on the front(s) - which is even more peculiar to me). All of this was considered to try and improve the ride given the aftermarket wheels aren't hub centric and the tires are way too aggressive and more suited for pure off road.

Hoping that there may be a relief area in the control arm/spindle that would enable some clearance if the wheel stud was rotated around to enable removal and replacement without removal of the entire hub.

When i brought the truck back to selling Ford dealer and explained the safety concern with the front studs they didn't deem it a safety issue - ridiculous..... but i was able to persuade them to provide 12qty p/n ACPZ-1107-A 1X replacement wheel studs - which i intend to replace on the existing hubs.

Ford Online show p/n KB3Z-1104-B hubs for the front on a 4X and would also wonder what length stud is on these - if anyone knows (perhaps Phil who seems to have forgotten more than most know about this series of truck).

Must say that with the heater going out because the design issues and the dash having to be removed as well as the transmission issues mentioned in this FORUM - i'm really wondering if i bought a junker......

Thanks for any reply and insight,

John
Sponsored

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Haven't done it, but I think you would only need to remove rotors to get access.