19-23 Ranger In-Console Phone Docking System [New Release]

kendive

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger Lariat Tech Pkg Tremor
Nice. But there is so little console room, it takes up too much of it.
Yes the ranger suxs for console space...

I just bought these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CG36LRZV

and the phone now sets great down in the parking/emer brake area. I also have a large S23 ultra phone. Solved all my ranger console space issues.
Sponsored

allcos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Scab 4X4 XLT
Occupation
Retired
My 2019 Lariat has a docking area in the center top of dash. Keep it docked there on top of a great looking bandana, which protects it. Never had any sliding issues. And someone on here turned me on to the instructions of how to run a power cord behind dash.
Now I can put important stuff in the console area...
pens, gold golf ball, a granola type bar from a year and a half ago....
That's where I mounted my RAM Spring loaded holder for my phone...till one warm summer drive. The phone shut down from the heat and that was the end of that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DockTailors

DockTailors

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.docktailors.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
That's where I mounted my RAM Spring loaded holder for my phone...till one warm summer drive. The phone shut down from the heat and that was the end of that.
Oh yikes! :shock: It is a sunny spot compared to the usual auto phone spot. I know my black phone starts throwing heat warnings even laying out on a picnic table or something and I'm not even on the southern end of the country. Appreciate the note as I investigate that location! 🤔

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I too have left my phone on the dash top tray and got the heat shutdown. You'd need some type of cowl to keep the sun off it - a shame since it's a good spot. Wireless charging up there wouldn't help since they throw off excessive heat so a wired solution would have to be the go to. I find the lower console hurts reception in weak areas to the point that navigation fouls up and streaming audio muffs up pretty bad. That would require costly cell repeator equipment to resolve if I wanted to hide the phone out of sight - like the armrest storage. It wouldn't be a terrible thing if the SYNC phone function (in Android for me) was more intuitive bringing up a keypad and if I could power up/down the phone from the screen.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
DockTailors is extremely excited to bring you a Ranger specific in-console docking system! Fits all 2019-2023 North American Ford Rangers.

Aimed at Android Auto/Apple CarPlay users. The Ranger dock features:
  • Clutter free, OEM Look
  • Precision one handed docking
  • An out of the way phone
  • No bulky universal dash mounts
    • No rattling or loosening
    • No suction cups
    • No "phone claws"
  • Native wired Android Auto/Apple CarPlay
    • No aftermarket wireless adapter
    • No battery drain
  • Native wired charging
    • No aftermarket wireless charging
    • No overheating
Grand Opening sale until Dec 1 — code "GRANDOPEN23".

Let us know what you think or if you have any questions! Check it out at https://www.docktailors.com

Pics

View attachment 201014
The Dock

View attachment 201015
Reverse Clamping System — no vehicle modifications.

View attachment 201016
Available No Cable Hole Option (Minimalist)

Install Video
That looks like an awesome solution.

Are you planning to 3d print them or injection molding (expensive)? If printing, what material are you using?

I admit I didn't watch the videos, watching TV with my partner (lol) and don't want to disturb her watching Virgin River....

I will keep my great ideas to myself, but I really like what you've accomplished here.

Edit: I read your FAQ - 3d printed. Really cool. And now that the base is designed you have the ability to expand to other specialty fitment... Switches, knobs, radio heads.... 😂

Last edited:

OP
OP
DockTailors

DockTailors

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.docktailors.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
That looks like an awesome solution.

Are you planning to 3d print them or injection molding (expensive)? If printing, what material are you using?

I admit I didn't watch the videos, watching TV with my partner (lol) and don't want to disturb her watching Virgin River....

I will keep my great ideas to myself, but I really like what you've accomplished here.

Edit: I read your FAQ - 3d printed. Really cool. And now that the base is designed you have the ability to expand to other specialty fitment... Switches, knobs, radio heads.... 😂
Thank you! And yes you nailed it! The specialty fitment was the idea. Something like this just isn't possible with traditional manufacturing. Too many phone sizes and vehicles.

Traditional manufacturing means one product for all vehicles and all phones.. or it's $$$. And because it's universal, the solution probably involves clamps, screws, springs, suction cups etc.. I'm hoping this system, and hopefully others as you alluded to, are useful for the community :like:

The material is a good question and took a lot of testing! Without boring everyone, we use premium Made-In-USA PETG. Traditional ABS/ASA would be ideal in regards to extreme UV/temp resistance... but it's warp/shrink prone properties just didn't give us the flush fit we were looking for. Regardless, PETG is already great for most climates in the US. For the remaining extreme UV/temp areas, we designed the .4" thick non-load bearing cover plate to insulate and shield the load bearing base and cable from the sun — the ultimate killer of materials. Similar to the cowl example @Racket gave. From our long term testing this works great!

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! And yes you nailed it! The specialty fitment was the idea. Something like this just isn't possible with traditional manufacturing. Too many phone sizes and vehicles.

Traditional manufacturing means one product for all vehicles and all phones.. or it's $$$. And because it's universal, the solution probably involves clamps, screws, springs, suction cups etc.. I'm hoping this system, and hopefully others as you alluded to, are useful for the community :like:

The material is a good question and took a lot of testing! Without boring everyone, we use premium Made-In-USA PETG. Traditional ABS/ASA would be ideal in regards to extreme UV/temp resistance... but it's warp/shrink prone properties just didn't give us the flush fit we were looking for. Regardless, PETG is already great for most climates in the US. For the remaining extreme UV/temp areas, we designed the .4" thick non-load bearing cover plate to insulate and shield the load bearing base and cable from the sun — the ultimate killer of materials. Similar to the cowl example @Racket gave. From our long term testing this works great!
PETG is some versitile stuff!

I look forward to the growth of the ecosystem.

(at 80 bucks it isn't outlandishly priced either.)

OP
OP
DockTailors

DockTailors

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.docktailors.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
PETG is some versitile stuff!

I look forward to the growth of the ecosystem.

(at 80 bucks it isn't outlandishly priced either.)
Thanks @Jhbryaniv! That's awesome to hear. And yes! PETG can make some wonderful dimensionally accurate shapes. Worked great for the large intricate parts in the Ranger dock.

I purchased one of these tonight. Looking forward to assembly and usage. Great idea.
Thanks for supporting us @9512tacoma! Enjoy your dock!

Shipped out several Ranger units this week! Looking forward to seeing some installs :like:

Our Grand Opening Sale may be ending today but use code "RANGER5G" for 5% off the Ranger dock!

Tremorky

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Designer
Order arrived today! Sat with it the last half hour in semi crap lighting with old tired eyes 😂. Without following instructions it’s really straightforward. Take your time and shim the phone case. My only issue is my case is a Dbrand Grip case. I can’t shim it quite as tight as I’d like to because the phone practically sticks to other surfaces. Nothing a little lard won’t cure 🤔😉. Kidding. Phone has enough wiggle room to dock repeatedly with no use. iPhone 15 Pro Max for reference. I could have ordered a little wider dock and used thicker shims but it doesn’t matter as long as it works. Tip: When you think you have the charging cable seated and tightened and the phone is docking, plug the cable into a charger and make sure. I had everything tightened down to find out it lacked the last critical half mm or so of seating fully. Will pop it into the console tomorrow after a cup of coffee with daylight. Good work Donovan! I’ll update with pics installed tomorrow.

IMG_2706.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DockTailors

DockTailors

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.docktailors.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
@Tremorky this is awesome!! Love your write up! And yes agreed excellent feedback. I'll add a blurb to the manual. The cable alignment step is great as you lock in literally *exactly* where your phone and cable sits natural and supported... also means you lock in a non-seating connection ouch. Great tip and catch!

Seriously looking forward to the install tomorrow... it looks much better once it's tucked in the console with your phone docked :rockon:

Jim C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger
@Tremorky this is awesome!! Love your write up! And yes agreed excellent feedback. I'll add a blurb to the manual. The cable alignment step is great as you lock in literally *exactly* where your phone and cable sits natural and supported... also means you lock in a non-seating connection ouch. Great tip and catch!

Seriously looking forward to the install tomorrow... it looks much better once it's tucked in the console with your phone docked :rockon:

Just a thought after reading the last write-up
looking at the unit, it looks GREAT & I was thinking (it may be to difficult to do though)
could a semi automatic (manual adjust) slide lock (like the way you lock the tray down in the console).
This (once you've got the power cord set) will no longer be an issue if you change phones

Tremorky

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Designer

As promised, I didn’t finish my coffee before diving out the door this morning lol. The only thing that’s a negative is trying to wrap 2 ft of cable in but I’m guessing sourcing the ones that work is easier said than done and the include Tripp Lite is great quantity. Took 5 mins maybe to install once I got in the truck seat.
CarPlay starts right up of course and is easy to switch back to Sync. Elegant no brainer engineering.
I hope to see some other accessories from you in the future such as console side pockets or a handheld radio belt clip interface on the pocket or for a visor. 😁😁😁

Attachment.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

OP
OP
DockTailors

DockTailors

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.docktailors.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Just a thought after reading the last write-up
looking at the unit, it looks GREAT & I was thinking (it may be to difficult to do though)
could a semi automatic (manual adjust) slide lock (like the way you lock the tray down in the console).
This (once you've got the power cord set) will no longer be an issue if you change phones
Thank you @Jim C ! Hmm.. I'll continue to brain storm on this one. Totally hear you! Just trying to imagine the mechanism itself while keeping things clean vs the rail/shim setup 🤔

ignore the danniee downers

well thought out design
Thank you! Thought means a lot. But I'll take all feedback — only way to improve and innovate.... hopefully I can make most folks happy though :rockon:

As promised, I didn’t finish my coffee before diving out the door this morning lol. The only thing that’s a negative is trying to wrap 2 ft of cable in but I’m guessing sourcing the ones that work is easier said than done and the include Tripp Lite is great quantity. Took 5 mins maybe to install once I got in the truck seat.
CarPlay starts right up of course and is easy to switch back to Sync. Elegant no brainer engineering.
I hope to see some other accessories from you in the future such as console side pockets or a handheld radio belt clip interface on the pocket or for a visor. 😁😁😁
Excellent pics!! Camera is really good on your Pro Max.. really gets the detail.. maybe a little too detailed 😅 Really though glad the install went well! Hopefully you enjoy just popping your phone in making short trips... and coming out with a charged phone on longer trips.

And yeah I agree. Honestly a 1.5' cable would be ideal. But it's hard to find USB-IF/MFI certified cables in that length that are quality. The standard is about 3' sadly. I'll still keep an eye out!

I'll see what I can do though for more — this is hopefully just the start 😁. Thanks for supporting us and the community with your experience @Tremorky!!
Sponsored