John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
@Floyd I really like how Ford did their line up - they kept it some what simple there options where. Only pay for what you want and need. Your super cab looks sharp they did a good job with those - I have 3 kids so super crew was needed.
Sponsored

Blue Power Ranger

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew 4x2
While the greater majority of people in this forum have a 4x4, I had no want or need for a 4x4. I live in the concrete jungle, so a 4x2 is just fine. The Ranger I had before this for 17 years was a 4x2, and never needed anything more in all that time. It is nice to have the supercrew cab over the regular supercab.

New Bloo2.jpg

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
What kin d of gas mileage are you guys getting with 2wd?

OP
OP
John Lyman

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
What kin d of gas mileage are you guys getting with 2wd?
I’m just under 1000 miles and lifetime MPG is at 20. I added a cover and I’m getting in the high 21’s my commute is 20 miles one way in Atlanta 40% Highway takes about an hour.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What was that thing?... A truncated VW Rabbit, or maybe an old Ford Fiesta? actually pretty good bodywork!
YUGO

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Hi John,

Only reason I went with a 4x4 was to be able to tow it behind the motorhome which you cannot do with the 4x2 unless you add a transmission pump, which is problematic and likely voids the transmission warranty...

Best,

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Indeed, modern automatic "slushboxes" lack a rear pump, if I am not mistaken, this feature was phased out by all manufacturers in the early
sixties?
For you young-ums, it was possible to push start a car with an automatic back then because of this pump.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Another 2WD drive. I wouldn't use the 4x4 for any of my driving around here. Just extra maintenance extra insurance something I'll never use. if We get a dusting of snow here like a half an inch everything closes.

Here's our snow plow

mb plow.jpg
HA! I luv it!
Tell me, do you remove the plow during summer and attach a lawnmower blade under it???

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Indeed, modern automatic "slushboxes" lack a rear pump, if I am not mistaken, this feature was phased out by all manufacturers in the early
sixties?
For you young-ums, it was possible to push start a car with an automatic back then because of this pump.
Hi Mokume,

Yep...the rear pump in the automatic transmission was phased out in the early 60s I recall American Motors held out on their transmissions until the MID to Late 60s...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

fordyken

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat sport 501a
Occupation
Orange County fleet maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Just checking out who else has the 4x2 Ranger and show our love. I was trading in my '16 Jeep Wrangler (manual) for a new truck so I started looking at the 4x4 - liked the FX4 package I test drove. Started the negotiations process - FX4 was going to be my Jeep + $5800 - the 4x4 sport 302A was Jeep + $5000. My bride and I really didn't want to part with a whole lot of cash. I was about to call it quits when I talked to my uncle, who owns a timber farm, about his F150 who said he went 4x2 and has only gotten it stuck twice. I had not thought about it and then realized that while I had shifted into 4 wheel mode in the jeep I never did anything that actually needed it. So I called the dealer and asked him how much for the Oxford white, 4x2, 302A, trailer and locking rear diff (this is something my uncle wishes he had). He said Jeep and $1500 and the rest is history.

There maybe somethings I won't be able to do - but I also live in Atlanta so when it snows here we all try and just say home.
i love my 4 x 2 lariat !!!! in SoCal a 4x4 isnt really necessary.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Mokume,

Yep...the rear pump in the automatic transmission was phased out in the early 60s I recall American Motors held out on their transmissions until the MID to Late 60s...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I admire you being politically correct in referring to the company who produced Ramblers, my Dad would refer to them as "Nash"...lol
Almost all manufacturers had catchy names back then to describe the features on their cars, I believe Rambler called their "slushbox" transmission the "Flash-O-Matic", Ford had "Cruise-O-Matic", "Merc-O-Matic" and "Twin Turbo Drive".
Chrysler was stuck in flight with "PowerFlite" and "Torqueflite".
I'm sure GM had similar names throughout their divisions for the excellent HydraMatic, but who could forget Chevy's ubiquitous "PowerGlide"...lol

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
HA! I luv it!
Tell me, do you remove the plow during summer and attach a lawnmower blade under it???
You'll have to ask the city of Myrtle Beach!! lol

Blue Power Ranger

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew 4x2
i love my 4 x 2 lariat !!!! in SoCal a 4x4 isnt really necessary.
Agree 100%. I am also in Costa Mesa. The only place to "off road" around here is Fairview Park, and they kind of frown on that sort of thing.
Sponsored