Horn continually honks

BabyTruck

First Name
Sharon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Lariat, 501A, FX4, tow, Magnetic Metallic, chrome grill, Truck Cover USA, LineX Bedliner
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone have problems with their Ranger's horn honking by itself? It did it 7 times the other day while on an extremely busy freeway in SF Bay Area. So scary to try and get to a shoulder or exit so I can shut the truck off and wait for it to reset. It doesn't honk every day; it's intermittent. Ford Service here in Sonora has no idea what's wrong since there are not codes or how to fix it.
Sponsored

jeffe

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Lincoln MK VIII, '19 Ranger XLT, Magnetic, 2WD CC, Sport pkg, towing pkg, rear locker.
Occupation
CPO, USN Retired, Retired AT&T Field Tech
Does anyone have problems with their Ranger's horn honking by itself? It did it 7 times the other day while on an extremely busy freeway in SF Bay Area. So scary to try and get to a shoulder or exit so I can shut the truck off and wait for it to reset. It doesn't honk every day; it's intermittent. Ford Service here in Sonora has no idea what's wrong since there are not codes or how to fix it.
Odd... push button start on Lariat. Key fob panic button getting accidentally pressed in a pocket?

OP
OP
BabyTruck

BabyTruck

First Name
Sharon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Lariat, 501A, FX4, tow, Magnetic Metallic, chrome grill, Truck Cover USA, LineX Bedliner
Occupation
Retired
Odd... push button start on Lariat. Key fob panic button getting accidentally pressed in a pocket?
No. The techs tried that. Can't use panic while engine is running anyway.

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
Did you take a look at the fuse?

OP
OP
BabyTruck

BabyTruck

First Name
Sharon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I would hope that the Ford Service techs checked the fuse, but, no, I didn't check. My truck is still at Ford, but I'm picking it up tomorrow. They don't have a clue what's wrong and want me to "bring it in when it does it again." I swear, if I get hurt because someone gets road rage due to my honking, I want my family to sue Ford!

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Next time it starts doing it, try manually honking the horn, maybe it is just sticking.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I would hope that the Ford Service techs checked the fuse, but, no, I didn't check. My truck is still at Ford, but I'm picking it up tomorrow. They don't have a clue what's wrong and want me to "bring it in when it does it again." I swear, if I get hurt because someone gets road rage due to my honking, I want my family to sue Ford!
I hope this gets resolved soon for you!:frown:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Find the specific location of the horn, then follow the wires back from there. Somewhere there will be a pinched wire, or a rub spot that is leaking power into the horn circuit.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Sharon,

This starts to look like a pinched ground wire and a good place to start is at the horns themselves which are located behind the left headlight mounted to the Horse Collar (Front body crossmember to which the radiator attaches). Look at the wires that pass through the wire pass in the Horse Collar, inspect for chafing, Pinching or such. I bet this is where your problem is. Somehow your horns are grounding to the body.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
BabyTruck

BabyTruck

First Name
Sharon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Next time it starts doing it, try manually honking the horn, maybe it is just sticking.
I'll have to give that a try. Thanks
Sponsored