OP
BabyTruck

BabyTruck

First Name
Sharon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Lariat, 501A, FX4, tow, Magnetic Metallic, chrome grill, Truck Cover USA, LineX Bedliner
Occupation
Retired
Hi Sharon,

This starts to look like a pinched ground wire and a good place to start is at the horns themselves which are located behind the left headlight mounted to the Horse Collar (Front body crossmember to which the radiator attaches). Look at the wires that pass through the wire pass in the Horse Collar, inspect for chafing, Pinching or such. I bet this is where your problem is. Somehow your horns are grounding to the body.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I'm going to print this and bring it to Ford this morning. Thanks for the suggestion.
Sponsored

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
ultra sensitive switch by chance?

Maybe punch your steering wheel a few times. Sure the horn will blow while you do this, but your neighbors will still love you.

The horn switches are some sort of bubble type thing and if there is extra pressure on the area you push (install issues?), perhaps it's enough to make contact momentarily at odd times. beating the crap out of it may help alleviate the pressure. Just like you do in a night of frustration with your pillow.
I dont think this is an approved repair. LOL

OP
OP
BabyTruck

BabyTruck

First Name
Sharon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Lariat, 501A, FX4, tow, Magnetic Metallic, chrome grill, Truck Cover USA, LineX Bedliner
Occupation
Retired
ultra sensitive switch by chance?

Maybe punch your steering wheel a few times. Sure the horn will blow while you do this, but your neighbors will still love you.

The horn switches are some sort of bubble type thing and if there is extra pressure on the area you push (install issues?), perhaps it's enough to make contact momentarily at odd times. beating the crap out of it may help alleviate the pressure. Just like you do in a night of frustration with your pillow.
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm going to print this and bring it to Ford with me this morning. It certainly worth a try.

OP
OP
BabyTruck

BabyTruck

First Name
Sharon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
UGH! Wish that were the case.......... it's happened in my garage as well as the freeway.

Shag

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Field manager
Does anyone have problems with their Ranger's horn honking by itself? It did it 7 times the other day while on an extremely busy freeway in SF Bay Area. So scary to try and get to a shoulder or exit so I can shut the truck off and wait for it to reset. It doesn't honk every day; it's intermittent. Ford Service here in Sonora has no idea what's wrong since there are not codes or how to fix it.
I

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
You from the Bay area, that explains it your truck has a gay amp. blowing your horn. ? ?
Sponsored