First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Sounds like you have a really nice place there. I do miss my privacy back east. I had 3 areas and I built my house in the middle of it. I had neighbors but we all had large parcels ( 3-20 acres) so you couldn't see their houses but everyone was always very helpful when you needed it. Winters wee tough because my driveway was 250' long and a pain to take care of when we had a lot of snow and ice.

We were just looking at the map last weekend and there's so few little places we like now. They're either ruined by you know who or to cold for us. I will sacrifice living where it's a little cold but we just can't do harsh winters or sub zero temps anymore.

A few on our short list are KY, WV, AR, and southern UT but it's really expensive there now and they have worse water problems than we do. I figure if we make it over to WV I can meet up with my brother from another mother Robert @NotBudule. ?
See now I’m a lifelong NE guy and when I retire I’m outta here. All of the NE is “so politically correct” now it’s all I can do to just give them the look.

I’ve been looking at East Tennessee or anywhere in the Great Smokey mtns. Been down that way a few times and real country with nice people. Then again northern fla isn’t all that bad ether.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Don't write off all of Canada , it's pretty big I hear , and the chances of running into you know who are pretty slim ... but , there is a chance , maybe that Norther Border is providing services we underappreciate... ?
I wasn't talking about Canada although I'd never live there either. The gun laws there are enough to keep me out.

OP
OP

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Sounds like you have a really nice place there. I do miss my privacy back east. I had 3 areas and I built my house in the middle of it. I had neighbors but we all had large parcels ( 3-20 acres) so you couldn't see their houses but everyone was always very helpful when you needed it. Winters wee tough because my driveway was 250' long and a pain to take care of when we had a lot of snow and ice.

We were just looking at the map last weekend and there's so few little places we like now. They're either ruined by you know who or to cold for us. I will sacrifice living where it's a little cold but we just can't do harsh winters or sub zero temps anymore.

A few on our short list are KY, WV, AR, and southern UT but it's really expensive there now and they have worse water problems than we do. I figure if we make it over to WV I can meet up with my brother from another mother Robert @NotBudule. ?
Nice, all great areas you mentioned. KY, WV would be the furthest south for me just because I love the Appalachian hills and because of the heat - even though I got used to heat, I’ve never gotten used to humidity lol.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
See now I’m a lifelong NE guy and when I retire I’m outta here. All of the NE is “so politically correct” now it’s all I can do to just give them the look.

I’ve been looking at East Tennessee or anywhere in the Great Smokey mtns. Been down that way a few times and real country with nice people. Then again northern fla isn’t all that bad ether.
Yeah TN is on there too I just forgot about it. lol Annie has a good friend who live there (Dandridge) and loves it! She's on a lake and everyone is super friendly and very much like we are, if you know what I mean. :wink:

OP
OP

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
3 partially wooded acres here in SW Colorado, paid dearly for it but glad to be out of Denver, had it not been for a daughter with special needs we did consider moving back to WNY - winters aren't that bad anymore and real estate is affordable, taxes though are high.
S Colorado is now chock full of Texans escaping the heat - mostly in the summer and fall, about 50% of our development is part time residents. I've met a good number of Texans and have to admit some of them are actually decent folks. :shock:
West Texans are some of the nicest real people I’ve ever met. Have been on the side of the road out in the middle of 1-10 and had numerous people stop and offered water. During the ice storm a complete stranger offered me his spare generator. If I had my way I would replace half of the population of upstate NY with Texans. At least they know how to vote lol.

People Are rude as hell here. I’ve gotten used to opening doors for people - anyone - and people here act like it’s an insult.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
West Texans are some of the nicest real people I’ve ever met. Have been on the side of the road out in the middle of 1-10 and had numerous people stop and offered water. During the ice storm a complete stranger offered me his spare generator. If I had my way I would replace half of the population of upstate NY with Texans. At least they know how to vote lol.

People Are rude as hell here. I’ve gotten used to opening doors for people - anyone - and people here act like it’s an insult.
It's the same here. I open and hold the door for everyone and some will just walk right past you and not even say thanks. Heck at least nod your head and smile, don't just think you're someone special and I'm holding open for you! :mad:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
Yeah TN is on there too I just forgot about it. lol Annie has a good friend who live there (Dandridge) and loves it! She's on a lake and everyone is super friendly and very much like we are, if you know what I mean. :wink:
Funny story. My wife is a Nashville girl. She brought me down to introduce to the family. First night me and her dad got pretty loaded. Her n
Mom says well bless your heart. I thought, wow she likes me! About 10 years later I found out what that really meant! ? The other thing was everyone hollerin at me to slow down! You talk to damn fast son. I’m sweating more just keeping up with you… good times. They got invaded by northerners too in the city. Now it’s not much different than everywhere else. Out in the country though it’s like a time warp. Noticeably different. And if you’re a Yankee, nice or not they still don’t trust you.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
Tennessee has some tax advantages I have been looking at ... WV is very taxy...
Thing with Tennessee is most of the state is flatlands. The tornados, hail storms and hurricanes are common and pretty nasty. By the time you get to the mountain ranges in the east they break up or get steered north. Hurricanes off the east coast don’t usually make it in that far for same reasons. Humidity can be higher in mountainous regions along with bugs. Summers there are hot and humid on the flatlands so no perfect spot really. Getting on one of the lakes there is about as good as it gets though.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I lived in PA for awhile when I was a kid. Just north of Williamsport in the hills. Loved the area but we were too far out to have cable so I spent a lot of time outdoors fishing.
I'm about 40 minutes south east of Williamsport! I used to travel north of Williamsport when heading up to Watkins Glen, NY (back in the late 70's), and my friend had family on the PA side so we'd spend some time there. I agree, very beautiful country. I believe there's a huge man made lake up there now right near the border, right??

OP
OP

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I'm about 40 minutes south east of Williamsport! I used to travel north of Williamsport when heading up to Watkins Glen, NY (back in the late 70's), and my friend had family on the PA side so we'd spend some time there. I agree, very beautiful country. I believe there's a huge man made lake up there now right near the border, right??
Love Watkins Glenn. Love middle PA too. I wish Allegheny and Steuben counties could remap into Pennsylvania. I can’t even complain about land taxes in Steuben county, I’m paying 1400 a year for 12 acres. It’s the damn draconian gun laws. Considering Steuben county is deep red, it’s not fair to most of the voters here. I’m going to try for my pistol permit - you should see the rigamarole I have to go through.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
To use a native Maine-Ah term: they’re From Away ?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Saw a number of US Grand Prix and Can-Am races at the Glenn, although recall on one or maybe two trips mostly hearing the races, great place to go camp, party and maybe even watch the race, time permitting. The Glenn was a great road course with several sharp hairpin curves and a chicane, but the course was eventually deemed unsafe for grand prix.

Also went to the summer jam in 1973, rode in on my motorcycle which allowed me to bypass the huge traffic jams. Allman Bros put on a memorable show even without Duane, the Band was also good, the Grateful Dead were well the usual Grateful Dead . Recall some big storms in the afternoon that stopped by the time the Allman Bros took the stage but lightning was still providing some good effects. still may have been the largest gathering ever in US history.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
Saw a number of US Grand Prix and Can-Am races at the Glenn, although recall on one or maybe two trips mostly hearing the races, great place to go camp, party and maybe even watch the race, time permitting. The Glenn was a great road course with several sharp hairpin curves and a chicane, but the course was eventually deemed unsafe for grand prix.

Also went to the summer jam in 1973, rode in on my motorcycle which allowed me to bypass the huge traffic jams. Allman Bros put on a memorable show even without Duane, the Band was also good, the Grateful Dead were well the usual Grateful Dead . Recall some big storms in the afternoon that stopped by the time the Allman Bros took the stage but lightning was still providing some good effects. still may have been the largest gathering ever in US history.
Wow those are some memories summer jam 73 was awesome. Crosby stills was there too. Took some laps on that track a year later in a lotus. Awesome track and good people too

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
Born and raised in SE Texas and been to a fair number of places around the US and some outside the US. I know that each and every year I live here I look more and more longingly toward places like Montana, or Wyoming just maybe to become a reverse snow-bird.

Tennessee was one place that also caught my fancy as well. They have at least one extra season there compared to Texas.

Sad to see you go but understand why. :)

D
Sponsored