Anyone switch from wrangler/ gladiator to ranger?

Stlrfan152

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu 1998 tj 1975 corvettw
Occupation
Mechanic
Im thinking about trading in the wrangler for a truck. i love jeep but my JLU has been basically 2 years of always having issues. I like the look of the ranger and it seems like its an excellent value. Im a little torn because i love the gladiator but its very expensive for few options and im worried about buying another truck that is always breaking. Just wanted to see if any other jeep guys are glad they switched or ended up regretting it.
Sponsored

cclayton

First Name
Collin Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I had a 2016 Wrangler JK unlimited and traded it for a 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4. Really liked the Ram but a flash flood took it away. Bought my ranger to replace the Ram.

For my needs, the Ranger is hands down better than the Wrangler. More comfortable, faster, tows more/better, bigger, haul items in bed, etc. Again these are my needs and opinion of the two. No doubt a wrangler will be more nimble off-roading but I don’t do that so I can’t compare the two in that category.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
I had a 2012 Rubicon and traded due to highway drivability, back and forth to Baja primarily, and overall mechanical issues (3 heads and other issues). The ranger is much more comfortable, quiet and drives easily on the highway. I've also found he ranger to be pretty darn capable offroad. You can't really compare the solid axle to IFS though. Jeep wins every time. So as long as you are not planning on climbing rocks you will be very happy IMO. The jeep handled better off road...i would call it fun-ability. I've had zero problems with the ranger.

BabyMerciless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I went from a 2015 Jeep JK with a 2.5" lift and 35" tires locked front a rear to a 2020 Ford Ranger. I went exactly 23 months without a truck in the family and let me tell you what a the Ranger lacks in off-road capability it more than makes up in usefulness of having a truck bed, smooth ride, and ability to tow. I couldn't believe how smooth and quite the ride was compared to the Jeep after driving the Jeep for years.

I have the FX4 version and even with stock tires it does pretty well off-road. Only had the thing teeter totter a few times and that is getting fixed with a level kit and 33" tires here soon.

Only major downside to the Ford Ranger is that it is a purpose driven off-road machine and not equipped for "fun" like the Wrangler. I use the truck to get to camping/hunting/shooting spots and it does not have an issue. Compared to the Wrangler I'd go out with Jeep clubs and we would take the thing near vertical just for fun and chew up tires and bend stingers bumpers from going nose down too hard(true story).

TL;DR: Ranger is great off-road and a lot more comfortable compared to a wrangler. Wrangler is more fun for "fun" off-roading.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Luckily I'm able to keep my '19 Wrangler JLU (with zero problems), and buy a Ranger also. They are 2 different animals set up with different abilities. The Jeep of course is a go anywhere, and the Ranger is set up to do everything I need a truck to do. With only 300 miles on my Ranger the honeymoon is far from over, but I can tell right now that the little Ranger has a home for a long long time. My only suggestion is to choose wisely on the bed length. The 6' on the SuperCab is what I wanted as the 5' on my F-150 was a bit short at times. But, I have the Wrangler for others to ride in so I don't need the rear seats. Good luck on your decision.

Last edited:

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4
Luckily I'm able to keep my '19 Wrangler JLU (luckily with no problems), and buy a Ranger also. They are 2 different animals set up with different abilities. The Jeep of course is a go anywhere, and the Ranger is set up to do everything I need a truck to do. With only 300 miles on my Ranger the honeymoon is far from over, but I can tell right now that the little Ranger has a home for a long long time. My only suggestion is to choose wisely on the bed length. The 6' on the SuperCab is what I wanted as the 5' on my F-150 was a bit short at times. But, I have the Wrangler for others to ride in so I don't need there rear seats. Good luck on your decision.
Similar to my feelings and situation, but with more miles on my Ranger. I would struggle to give up on either. The ranger is my daily, but the wrangler is far more capable and enjoyable off the slab.

WxNerd2015

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 Wrangler, 2017 Escape
Occupation
Applications Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2011 JK which was the daily. I got the Ranger to be my new daily driver and let me enjoy my Wrangler more for what it was built for! I am one of the lucky one's who has been able to have both! However it was at least a daily driver switch from the Wrangler to the Ranger!

20190323_105011.jpg

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Ranger > Jeep: aside from off road. Ranger is still good off-road, but not as good.

MB787

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
I went from '17 JKU Sport to my Ranger. I did like the JKU but I missed having the tech that the Ranger has. Also, my hardtop leaked all the time. Soft top was fine but hated switching back over to the hardtop for the winter knowing I would get rained on

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I have a 2011 JK which was the daily. I got the Ranger to be my new daily driver and let me enjoy my Wrangler more for what it was built for! I am one of the lucky one's who has been able to have both! However it was at least a daily driver switch from the Wrangler to the Ranger!

20190323_105011.jpg
Nice pair Trevor. I've only driven one JKU, but I can say the JLU is light years ahead in the steering compartment. Only problem I had was the dealer had 45 psi in all 4 tires. That thing was all over the road on the way home. I fixed that quickly, and all is well. Like you I'm happy that I can have both, and use them as they are intended. I will still use the JL as a daily driver also.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I've owned several Jeeps, took a close look at the Gladiator, bought a Ranger, and have zero regrets after 18 months / 25k miles. Every time I find myself next to a Gladiator, Tacoma, or Colorado at a light I absolutely blow their doors off when it turns green...never been a time they were even close to keeping up, although most of them sure try.

If a midsize truck fits the bill for you I think you'll really like the Ranger, but try the other options too and figure out what YOU like.

Davejb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL STX
I traded in my 2016 JK for my Ranger. Absolutely different vehicles, Wrangler was bouncy but great fun to drive, especially in the summer with the top down. Wife had an 07 Ridgeline so we had a truck bed if needed. She sold that and got a 2016 Compass. I started getting the itch for a another pickup (this is my 6th) and went with the Ranger for the "smaller" size.

IMG_20180914_134639.jpg

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2012 WranglerJK Sport....loaded with extras. I do miss the more compact size (and extra garage space) but am very happy with the Ranger’s better utility, more precise steering, and up-to-date safety features.

1A1A33E0-4668-4E24-8A6A-D1E84B2E4937.jpeg

Last edited:

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Yes. I traded in a 2019 JLU Sport for a 2020 Ranger XLT FX4. It was lightly modded with Rubicon suspension and 255/75 tires. It had the 3.6L engine and manual transmission. It saw a fair amount of time exploring the NV desert but I did not rock crawl on purpose. I wanted something more comfortable as a daily driver, for road trips, able to tow my small travel trailer a little better and have close to the same off road capability.

My mods to the Ranger so far has been the Ford Performance/Fox Leveling kit and Go Rhino running boards.

The Ranger is definitely more comfortable and a nicer drive. I don't feel like I have to stay on top of the steering as much. The Ranger is less effected by wind and overall is less exhausting to drive. The Ranger is much quicker. The Ranger gets better gas mileage and hauls the trailer fine.

The Ranger is less quirky electronically. The Wrangler would just do strange stuff once and awhile. Especially the entertainment system. None of that with the Ranger. I had no real problems with the Wrangler though.

Ranger is pretty capable off road for what I do. I have to be a little more careful because of approach and departure angles. The Ranger does not articulate as well and sometimes you'll have a tire in the air when you wouldn't in the Wrangler. I find myself avoiding some areas I would go in the Wrangler but for the most part the Ranger will go where I want to go.

I've been a Jeep guy for a lot of years and sometimes I see a Wrangler go by and kind of miss mine. I have no complaints though and so far the Ranger is doing what I expected it to do.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Engineer
Not having the Ranger Raptor available was probably the reason I went with the Gladiator; I'd never owned a Ford or Jeep before so I came into the vehicles pretty unbiased. Liked the feel of the powertrain better in the Jeep vs. the Ranger XLT I test drove.

Curious to see if the Ranger Raptor indeed makes it to the US, as well as this potential Bronco truck, so I'll be keeping an eye on things for awhile,
Sponsored