Robert Elmore

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2019 Lincoln MKZ
Vehicle Showcase
I've never liked that long AM/FM antenna so I bought a little Stubby one from Amazon. It works for my purposes. I don't listen to much AM or FM so reception isn't a big deal to me. Even so, the one AM station and the one FM station I might listen to receive just fine. I think it looks loads better too.

Stubby.jpg
Sponsored

SGG

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Medical field
Vehicle Showcase
I've never liked that long AM/FM antenna so I bought a little Stubby one from Amazon. It works for my purposes. I don't listen to much AM or FM so reception isn't a big deal to me. Even so, the one AM station and the one FM station I might listen to receive just fine. I think it looks loads better too.

Stubby.jpg
Is the reception really that bad?

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I have the slightly longer version and it works really well... :)

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I thought the factory one was short and stubby lol

OP
OP
Robert Elmore

Robert Elmore

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the factory one was short and stubby lol
Size matters...in the case of this antenna I think the shorter the better. I would think the shorter one limits the reception of weaker stations, but as I said, I don't listen to AM/FM that much anyway. The Stubby picks up my stronger local channels just fine. It's all personal preference. My 2017 Edge has the low profile antenna and I think it looks much better. If you are a shortwave DXer you may want to stick with the longer antenna or if you don't see an aesthetic problem with the stock antenna then you are good to go.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Size matters...in the case of this antenna I think the shorter the better. I would think the shorter one limits the reception of weaker stations, but as I said, I don't listen to AM/FM that much anyway. The Stubby picks up my stronger local channels just fine. It's all personal preference. My 2017 Edge has the low profile antenna and I think it looks much better. If you are a shortwave DXer you may want to stick with the longer antenna or if you don't see an aesthetic problem with the stock antenna then you are good to go.
Hi Bob,

Yep! do not see any aesthetic problem... Much better that the fender aerials of the past.

Brief Back story,

Had an engineer working for me that aspired to the design and release (release being to put in to production) of the little ball on the top of the aerial. In other words...he did not have to work. Not on my watch but later on in conjunction with Human Resoruces and my involvement and other past managers, he was shown the door...and as they say...AMF!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Robert Elmore

Robert Elmore

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Bob,

Yep! do not see any aesthetic problem... Much better that the fender aerials of the past.

Brief Back story,

Had an engineer working for me that aspired to the design and release (release being to put in to production) of the little ball on the top of the aerial. In other words...he did not have to work. Not on my watch but later on in conjunction with Human Resoruces and my involvement and other past managers, he was shown the door...and as they say...AMF!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I prefer as little protrusion as possible, the antenna on my 2017 Edge is functional and attractive...almost looks like the Ranger antenna without the big rubber ducky...they want you to remove it if you go through most car washes and some low slung parking garages....how did the make the Edge antenna work and feel the need to add the extra height on the Ranger?

shark antenna.jpg

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I’d prefer a paint matched one like the one posted above, but currently using a 4” Stubby.

OP
OP
Robert Elmore

Robert Elmore

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer as little protrusion as possible, the antenna on my 2017 Edge is functional and attractive...almost looks like the Ranger antenna without the big rubber ducky...they want you to remove it if you go through most car washes and some low slung parking garages....how did the make the Edge antenna work and feel the need to add the extra height on the Ranger?

shark antenna.jpg
I think the ball on the older antennas kept birds from being impaled by a ball less metal rod.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I think the ball on the older antennas kept birds from being impaled by a ball less metal rod.
Hi Bob,

Little known secret of these aerials is that if you cut off the top 6" of the aerials and grind a point on them, they make great metal scribes. I have several in my tool box... they work well and so far have never had to be sharpened...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Robert Elmore

Robert Elmore

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Bob,

Little known secret of these aerials is that if you cut off the top 6" of the aerials and grind a point on them, they make great metal scribes. I have several in my tool box... they work well and so far have never had to be sharpened...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I graduated electronics school almost 50 years ago and remembered studying about the purpose of the ball on a car antenna. I couldn't remember the technical explanation but found it on the RadioReference.com website from a post by RevGary...his explanation is as follows:

"The ball on the top of the antenna serves an electrical purpose. Under conditions of vehicle speed verses ambient air humidity, the antenna will develop a static charge - the same as helicopter rotor blades slicing through the air, but to a much lower potential voltage. The ball on the end of an antenna is there to dissipate the static buildup. The air traveling across the ball is at a slightly different speed than the rest of the antenna and that difference of static potential causes the static charge to flow toward the ball where it is dissipated into the airflow. While this dosen't make too much difference at speeds less than 40 MPH, it CAN make a difference at highway speed in allowing tthe incoming RF signal to be clean rather than being influenced by a random static "NOISE" charge on the antenna whip. This information was first brought to my attention in 1961 by way of the ARRL Antenna Handbook. If you can locate some SMALL lead fishing sinkers of the appropriate size, crimp one onto the antenna tip if you feel that your highway speed incoming signals are less than they used to be."
Sponsored