First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford rangerGerald
Has anyone had to replace a windshield?
Had a rock hit mine and it split.
I'm hopeful that a new one will look as good as factory?
Sponsored

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Yup, just went through this a couple weeks ago. So far there are no aftermarket windshields out there, so you should end up with an OEM Ford windshield. Be prepared for the price though. On my 2019 Lariat, the total bill was $1100 o_O! I didn't have to pay a dime though!

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Haven't done one on a Ranger, but several on Kenworths: 150K mi/yr you break one now and then. MY employer has an account with a reputable mobile glass installer. If I'm away from the shop, I just call the nearest installer that can get to me the soonest, same as with any repair.
I've never had a problem with distorted glass or leaks, so I'd go with any name brand installer in your area, they also should be able to handle your insurance claim.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
depends if you take it to a qualified shop...or down to karen's windshield repairs and pottery emporium
"Free cheese tray with every install!"
cheese.png

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Safelite will install actual OEM windshields upon request.
Some insurance companies will make you pay the difference.
When I had my windshield replaced on my TC, I demanded that the new one be the "substantial equivalent" to OEM... Somewhat intimidated, they brought an actual Ford windshield at no extra charge.
Safelite did an amazingly professional job and the incident was soon forgotten.

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
Have not had it done on the ranger. If you have ford 360 stick with OEM replacement.

But have had the windshield replace twice on 2016 mustang. the mustangs ford windshield is brittle, small impacts caused it to crack edge to edge. With allstate insurance only pay $50 deductible for OEM replacement and repairs are $0. I use safelite and schedule appointment around the start of movie at the theater close by.
Recommend upping the glass coverage if range glass is anything like the mustang.

OP
OP

Gguillory

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford rangerGerald
Thanks I just wasn't sure if I would get an aftermarket. Stopped in at the glass shop today and it will be an oem windshield. The 2019 2020 rangers have 12 different styles. So if you have to have one replaced be prepared to answer alot of questions. Should have it by 1 p.m. tommorow.
I have state farm so my cost is only 50 bucks.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks I just wasn't sure if I would get an aftermarket. Stopped in at the glass shop today and it will be an oem windshield. The 2019 2020 rangers have 12 different styles. So if you have to have one replaced be prepared to answer alot of questions. Should have it by 1 p.m. tommorow.
I have state farm so my cost is only 50 bucks.
12 different styles?????? What are all the options? It is a windshield after all.

Wow.

OP
OP

Gguillory

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford rangerGerald
12 different styles?????? What are all the options? It is a windshield after all.

Wow.
Lane assistance. Heated, even auto darkening??

Wow.
Lane assistance camera. Heated, auto darkening, many other styles?? Probably for rangers sold over seas??

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Wow.
Hi Rob,

I can tell you from an Assembly plant perspective, there is little likelihood of that sort of complexity in the plant...there is simply not space in the plant to support 12 different windshields. Do not know where this info on windshields came from, but 12 would simply be unworkable in the plant environment. Cripe! When we wanted 5 different axle ratios on Ranger, the plant balked and we dropped the fuel economy axle and settled for four 3.08, 3.45, 3.73 and 4.10. I was happy as the doggy performance of the 2.75 was abysmal.

More data is required to make me believe there are 12 variants of windshields. I can understand that there are 12 different aftermarket windshields with different tints, blackout boarders etc... not OEM... Hope I do not eat crow on this, as times change, but this is my take and I am sticking with it.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired.

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
OUCH! looked it up on safelite site. $750 parts/labor and $300 for re-calibration of lane keep assist.

from the questions looks to me that there are three OEM replacements that follow model options. no tech, lane keep and auto sensing wipers (XL, XLT and Lariat)

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
OUCH! looked it up on safelite site. $750 parts/labor and $300 for re-calibration of lane keep assist.

from the questions looks to me that there are three OEM replacements that follow model options. no tech, lane keep and auto sensing wipers (XL, XLT and Lariat)
Hi Gov,

That makes sense! Three I can see....Not 12!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
Hi Gov,

That makes sense! Three I can see....Not 12!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I wonder if the glass installer was also including windshields from previous generations in their count?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Hi Rob,

I can tell you from an Assembly plant perspective, there is little likelihood of that sort of complexity in the plant...there is simply not space in the plant to support 12 different windshields. Do not know where this info on windshields came from, but 12 would simply be unworkable in the plant environment. Cripe! When we wanted 5 different axle ratios on Ranger, the plant balked and we dropped the fuel economy axle and settled for four 3.08, 3.45, 3.73 and 4.10. I was happy as the doggy performance of the 2.75 was abysmal.

More data is required to make me believe there are 12 variants of windshields. I can understand that there are 12 different aftermarket windshields with different tints, blackout boarders etc... not OEM... Hope I do not eat crow on this, as times change, but this is my take and I am sticking with it.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired.
Couple thoughts:

Perhaps it's not really that the windshields are different, but there's just a bunch of questions to be answered before the computer system tells them which windshield to use. Sort of like going to the auto parts store and you have to tell them which engine and transmission you have before their computer will tell you which headlight bulb to get.

Another possibility is maybe there's 12 different configurations for the installation (like with and without rain sensors, and each of those with and without the lane keep, which all together would be 4 configurations), so the windshields themselves may not be different, but there's different considerations during installation that they want to note so they can make sure to charge you for them.

OP
OP

Gguillory

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford rangerGerald
I see that my post about windshield has peaked interest.
Windshield installed yesterday and it's an oem.
I was wrong about 12 different windshields. You do have to answer alot of questions. 13 to be exact so that the mistake I made. They do have lots of different windshield options.
The owner of the glass shop I used is a friend of my father in law. We figured that out just talking. So he took the time and showed me a video that he's made about not only Ford's but others with the lane assistance camera.
After a windshield replacement if you vehicle has certain options you need to find a dealer that can calibrate the camera. This is when glass on your insurance is helpful the cost starts around 150$ and it takes a few hours to do. The next town over a shop got in a pickle for doing it. They weren't doing it to industry standard. The owner showed me pictures of a Ford dealership that was set up to do it correctly and it's a pretty big set up to get it done.
As we talked he showed me pictures of my glass before he removed it. I had a defective glass to start. Not long after buying the truck I noticed at different angles it looked liked waves in the glass and really thin lines almost like a spider web running across the glass.
He had two mustangs in his shop also. 2019 and 2020 both with split windshields. Both same story of driving and the glass just split?? My Niece just bought a 2020 mustang June 3 and I looked at hers and one corner looks like a hair is stuck in the two layers of glass?? So she maybe the next one that needs a replacement??
I'm sure Ford bids year to year on glass vendors maybe the past f
Sponsored