First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
Very interesting indeed!

Plus adding that Whipple sticker that will come with it adds at least an additional 15hp. ???

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
You have to split the difference between Mega huge and lots of cooling, and reasonably sized and adequate cooling.

Too big and you will get pressure drop and lag, too small and it heats up like a toaster. That one might be good for someone who is living life 1/4 mile at a time, but for street use, the stock cooler is reasonably good.

I had a Focus ST (2013) and it's factory intercooler had temps approaching 200F after about 5 seconds of full throttle. They would come down at speed, but if you were being hard on it at all, they would hover around 160-180F.

I replaced it with a better one from fswerks, and the temps were rarely more than 10F over ambient. The new one was only marginally larger, but it had a much better fully aluminum construction. Factory FMIC splits also splits the difference between heat soak, and cooling efficiency. It they put a bigger heavier one in there, the thermal mass allows it to get heat soaked and it takes way longer to cool off. The "weak" thin factory cooler cools off in seconds from high temps because it barely has any metal to hold the heat. My focus wasn't hot enough to heat soak the heavier FMIC, so it was a win/win for me.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
This this stock sized turbo I dont see this being necessary

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not something that big, and not for stock calibration. But push the stock turbo beyond it's efficiency range (More RPM's for more boost) and you'll see the stock temps through the roof.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
not something that big, and not for stock calibration. But push the stock turbo beyond it's efficiency range (More RPM's for more boost) and you'll see the stock temps through the roof.
I don't think there is much left in this turbo as far as efficiency range. Its a baby..

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should see what's on the Focus ST :) the impeller is the size of a US quarter. No jokes.

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
I just emailed them for a price. My guess is going to be around $800 and if that's the case then no thanks lol

13 Second Ranger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
This is not needed with a stock turbo. My tuner was shocked with intake temps after a full 13.40 1/4 mile pass. We looked at temps after the next pass and some hard street runs on the way home as well and he said it would be a waste of time and money to change it.

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is not needed with a stock turbo. My tuner was shocked with intake temps after a full 13.40 1/4 mile pass. We looked at temps after the next pass and some hard street runs on the way home as well and he said it would be a waste of time and money to change it.
Good to know. On the Focust ST I had before this the intercooler would heat soak after 1 hard pass and you would lose power so it was a much needed upgrade on that car. I didn't think it was as crucial on the Ranger unless you went with a bigger turbo.

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By the way I emailed Whipple and they responded back that they have no pricing info yet.

13 Second Ranger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Good to know. On the Focust ST I had before this the intercooler would heat soak after 1 hard pass and you would lose power so it was a much needed upgrade on that car. I didn't think it was as crucial on the Ranger unless you went with a bigger turbo.
On the F150's and the Explorer ST's they heat soak bad too...