V8 Ranger Raptor Rumored For Australia

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Exclusive: Ford Raptor V8 to go on sale in Oz
By Toby Hagon, 02 Jan 2020 News

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/2020-ford-ranger-raptor-receives-mustang-v8-engine

Ford is secretly readying a high performance Ranger super ute complete with V8 power.

The brand that sells more 4x4 utes than any other is gearing up to shift the goalposts of load lugging performance by replacing the four-cylinder diesel engine fitted to the Ranger Raptor with a Mustang-spec 5.0-litre V8.

Rather than a global project, the top secret V8 Raptor project has been sanctioned by Ford Australia and will be the result of a local engineering effort.

But instead of utilising the 1000-strong local workforce that helped create the T6 architecture that underpins the Ranger and Everest, the project is being farmed out to an external engineering firm.

The latest in a growing list of low volume local engineering solutions – which include the upcoming Mustang R-Spec created by Herrod Performance and just-released Nissan Navara Warrior by Premcar – will adhere to OEM durability and safety requirements and be sold through Ford dealers will full five-year warranty protection.

But behind the scenes there’s an elaborate process to turn regular Raptors into roaring V8 performance machines.

The donor Raptors will arrive in Australia with diesel propulsion but will undergo an engine transplant as part of an extensive performance upgrade.

Key to the transformation of the Raptor V8 is Ford’s Coyote V8, the engine that is the heart of the Mustang GT.

The 5038cc direct injection dual overhead cam V8 was upgraded in 2018 to produce 339kW and 556Nm – more than the final 6.2-litre V8 in the Holden Commodore SS (304kW).

While exact outputs for the Raptor tune are yet to be confirmed, it is expected to make close to the numbers pumped out in the current Mustang GT.

Crucially, the new V8 injection promises to answer one of the biggest criticisms with Ford’s Baja racer-inspired truck: straight line performance.

Speculative renderings:

Ford-Ranger-Raptor-V8-1.jpg
Ford-Ranger-Raptor-V8-2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

rmr76

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 (Daily), 1969 Chevy C10 (Weekend Toy)
Although that would be cool, I'd think there'd have to be some serious under hood and sub-frame work. I used to have a 2011 Mustang GT. The Coyote V8 is HUGE compared to the 2.3 Ecoboost. If true, I wonder if they've actually widened the truck a bit?!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Only if you have Koala's, Dingo's and Roo's doing walkabouts... :frown:

From the article.... "Unfortunately, Ford doesn't have plans to sell the Ranger Raptor in the United States, at least in this generation. "

I don't see Ford building a $60,000 Ranger in the US. but who knows, there might be a market for it. one can buy the new 2020 Corvette for that kind of money. I had two vetts both C6s 2005 2008 convertibles. I really like the new Corvette but I can't even use my Ranger more than 500 miles a month. So I sold my Corvettes and my bikes. I'll stick with the ranger for a while at least until the redesign of the Tacoma and the Ranger. I'm not beholden to any manufacturer I buy the best vehicle for me at the time

Last edited:

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
That’s good to hear that it fits. If I ever came into some extra cash to be able to turn my Ranger from a daily to a toy I’d gladly accept the challenge to drop a Coyote between these frame rails!

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
First they don't have a V6 for NA and they would give AU a V8.. No way..

Why not just give them a F150 Raptor..

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Ok first LOVE the idea, then I think what MSRP will be $50k, $60k ??? more?
Then I think well gas mileage will suck which is kinda the reason I went from a 5.7L HEMI Ram to this...
Probably stick with the one I just bought, though I'd probably waste some sales-scum time at the stealer-ship and drive one for kix.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I'm good with the 2.3L, but still cool.
I am also good with the 2019 Ranger's 2.3L and plan to improve mine with the Ford Performance Tune as soon as that comes out, and then keep it for a long time. The F-150 Raptors are great but just too damn big for my lifestyle, not to mention my garage. Still, if Ford is going to put that kind of power into a mid-sized truck, then, yeah, I am very interested!

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Would like a 3.5L twin turbo.
Better size for Ranger and it out performs the 5.0.
The tune options.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ford is having a problem selling the trucks they have especially with this coronavirus thing. I think they'll be offering some really good incentives when this thing blows over

Last edited:

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
There will be a few high tech boat anchors available from the conversion company. Don't know why they didn't use this engine to begin with, instead of that crappy little 2 litre diesel.

Even if they had used a bi turbo version of the current 3.2 diesel people would have bought it in droves. There are lots of ponies still hiding in the 3.2 block as may local tuners have discovered.

And to answer above yes the Raptor engine bay is slightly wider, the whole truck is slightly wider than the standard Ranger.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
I think the V8 packaging makes more sense than the twin turbo V6 in as tight an engine bay as the Ranger has.

Plus, no one can say a modern supercharged V8 can't hunt with the big dogs.
Sponsored