UPDATED: 2019 Ranger gets 270 HP/310 LB-FT, class leading towing and payload rating!

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
OK, so it has "class leading" stats. Unfortunately this class hasn't been known for real performance...accelaration, sporty handling, etc.
Will the 270 hp 4cyl engine in a 4000lb truck exhibt any real excitement? I might have been interested if a 300+ HP V6 were offered.
I'm sure the competion will up the ante and, in a year or two, Ford may have to offer bigger engines in order to stay competitive.
With FCA set to reintroduce the Dakota (or whatever name they choose to call it), you can bet they won't hold back on a performance version.
It will be wait and see for me, holding on to my 5.0L F-150.
270 hp + 4000 lbs = excitement? Go drive a Jeep Wrangler, the answer is certainly a no. :)

The peak horsepower/trq number is somewhat useless on their own, what one really needs to do is overlay the torque curves. All other things relatively equal (weight/gearing), the truck which hits hardest at the lowest RPM and stays flatest will please the butt dyno most.

270 hp around 5500-6000 rpm already tells us the torque has dropped ~20-25% from peak.
Sponsored

Nadeshot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Tacoma and '17 Mustang Ecoboost
Payload and towing #'s are great but I wonder why they couldn't (or wouldn't?) give the 2.3L Ranger at least the same power output as the 2.3L Ecoboost Mustang since it's the same engine? The latest Ecoboost Mustang outputs 310 hp / 350 lb-ft. I woulda thought they'd give the Ranger at least the same torque figure.

Ah well at least this means an easy +40 horsepowers and torque can be gained via aftermarket tune.

OwenL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Mustang GT
Occupation
Long Island
Payload and towing #'s are great but I wonder why they couldn't (or wouldn't?) give the 2.3L Ranger at least the same power output as the 2.3L Ecoboost Mustang since it's the same engine? The latest Ecoboost Mustang outputs 310 hp / 350 lb-ft. I woulda thought they'd give the Ranger at least the same torque figure.

Ah well at least this means an easy +40 horsepowers and torque can be gained via aftermarket tune.
Leaving some power on the table for an easy mid-model refresh?
Sponsored