First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Engineer
Good evening Ranger Fans, I need to extend a power wire for my ARB air compressor switch. I figured I could extend the wire and tap into a wire in the tail light wiring? Is there a wire there that will have constant power? If not that's fine. Does anyone know which one to tap into? I will be working on the drivers side since that's where I have my swing out toolbox with the compressor inside.

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff
Sponsored

OP
OP
GtownRanger

GtownRanger

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Engineer

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Good evening Ranger Fans, I need to extend a power wire for my ARB air compressor switch. I figured I could extend the wire and tap into a wire in the tail light wiring? Is there a wire there that will have constant power? If not that's fine. Does anyone know which one to tap into? I will be working on the drivers side since that's where I have my swing out toolbox with the compressor inside.

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Ken linked to another thread. I will just state, DO NOT use the taillights. The the wire size will not support your current draw. Use the bed power connector which is located driver's side out side the frame rail. There are several threads to cover this bed power. Do not create a problem where it does not exist.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
GtownRanger

GtownRanger

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Engineer
Hi Jeff,

Ken linked to another thread. I will just state, DO NOT use the taillights. The the wire size will not support your current draw. Use the bed power connector which is located driver's side out side the frame rail. There are several threads to cover this bed power. Do not create a problem where it does not exist.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for the input Phil, perhaps I should have been more clear. I have the compressor wired to the battery to actually run the compressor but the "ON OFF" switch has a very small wire that requires 12v power just to effectively turn the compressor on. Regardless maybe your solution is still the best way. If I run the small wire down to that harness and just tap into the red wire should that not give me what I need?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input Phil, perhaps I should have been more clear. I have the compressor wired to the battery to actually run the compressor but the "ON OFF" switch has a very small wire that requires 12v power just to effectively turn the compressor on. Regardless maybe your solution is still the best way. If I run the small wire down to that harness and just tap into the red wire should that not give me what I need?
Hi Jeff,

As a signal wire the bed power should be good to handle your needs. Yes, It sounded like you were planning to run your compressor off the Tailights. Where do you plan to install the on/off switch? If in the Cab, there are places in the fuse panel you can tap as some fuses are unused. I always strive for the elegant solution, which might take some time to develop. My wife and I have faced things for which we could not figure out but by not reaction but putting on our thinking cap we came up with the elegant solution.

Good luck! The forum members here are an excellent source for ideas.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
GtownRanger

GtownRanger

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Engineer
Hi Jeff,

As a signal wire the bed power should be good to handle your needs. Yes, It sounded like you were planning to run your compressor off the Tailights. Where do you plan to install the on/off switch? If in the Cab, there are places in the fuse panel you can tap as some fuses are unused. I always strive for the elegant solution, which might take some time to develop. My wife and I have faced things for which we could not figure out but by not reaction but putting on our thinking cap we came up with the elegant solution.

Good luck! The forum members here are an excellent source for ideas.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
You're a good man Phil. I will be putting your FX4 engineering to the test on some very remote areas in Northern Quebec in the coming week. Love the Ranger

JR

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff
https://wolfhaus01.square.site/prod...true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=2 will get you a pigtail that plugs into the existing connector for the optional 12V outlet in the bed, can come out of the hole on the upper rear side of the bed on the drivers side and wouldn't require tapping into a wire. Same site also has a socket that would let you either plug in whatever you need for your compressor or a 12V outlet for added flexibility.

OP
OP
GtownRanger

GtownRanger

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Engineer
https://wolfhaus01.square.site/prod...true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=2 will get you a pigtail that plugs into the existing connector for the optional 12V outlet in the bed, can come out of the hole on the upper rear side of the bed on the drivers side and wouldn't require tapping into a wire. Same site also has a socket that would let you either plug in whatever you need for your compressor or a 12V outlet for added flexibility.
Awesome thanks Mike! I will look into that.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
Hi Jeff,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Just want to check: will this work on any ranger or does it need to have a specific option installed. I have a 2020 Lariat FX4

Thanks

Mark

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Just want to check: will this work on any ranger or does it need to have a specific option installed. I have a 2020 Lariat
It was definitely there for 2019 lariat, but who knows what we'll find out Ford dropped next to save a buck. It's pretty easy to see if you shine a light from underneath into the space between the bed and the side of the truck in the driver's side rear. Is a connector with wires going in one side and chopped off wires on the other side (the dummy plug side).

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
It was definitely there for 2019 lariat, but who knows what we'll find out Ford dropped next to save a buck. It's pretty easy to see if you shine a light from underneath into the space between the bed and the side of the truck in the driver's side rear. Is a connector with wires going in one side and chopped off wires on the other side (the dummy plug side).
Found it. thanks!
Sponsored