First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Retired Military
I looked though the different posts, and I could not find anything, but my question is, so I made sure my thumb drive was formatted to FAT32, I created a folder on my thumb drive so that I can organize my music, and then copied files in a folder, the sync detected the thumb drive but said there was no media to play. So the question is, am I not able to create folders, or do I have to just copy files on to the thumb drive? Thanks!
Sponsored

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Not sure to be honest. I just copy my music from iTunes to a thumb drive with no folders, just straight to the drive. I keep a few thumb drives with different songs on them to switch up when I am in the mood. If by folders you mean like making a play list in each folder, I'm not sure that would work.

OP
OP

Ranger720

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Retired Military
Not sure to be honest. I just copy my music from iTunes to a thumb drive with no folders, just straight to the drive. I keep a few thumb drives with different songs on them to switch up when I am in the mood. If by folders you mean like making a play list in each folder, I'm not sure that would work.
By folders I mean, I physically created a folder on my thumb drive named "Norah Jones", and it did not read any media

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
By folders I mean, I physically created a folder on my thumb drive named "Norah Jones", and it did not read any media
I would try not using a folder. Just copy the songs to the drive without one. At least that works for me.

OP
OP

Ranger720

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Retired Military
I would try not using a folder. Just copy the songs to the drive without one. At least that works for me.
That is my next thing, if I have to do it that way then its pointless to use a thumb drive, I dont want to have thousands of songs all just in one location like that...hard to find anything...lol, what was your thumb drive formatted at?

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
That is my next thing, if I have to do it that way then its pointless to use a thumb drive, I dont want to have thousands of songs all just in one location like that...hard to find anything...lol, what was your thumb drive formatted at?
Fat32 I think as well. But like I said I keep a few thumb drives for different moods. Of course the other option is to have your songs and play lists on your phone. Then use Android Auto or Apple Carplay. I think the voice commands do support play lists when using them and I know you can use voice to play a song by title.

I don't think Ford Sync was really designed to organize and filter 1,000s of songs via thumb drive. It's not really built for that from what I have seen. So your options may be limited. But look at it this way, at least we don't have to keep a bunch of CDs (or for us older folk tapes) in the car anymore. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Ranger720

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Retired Military
Fat32 I think as well. But like I said I keep a few thumb drives for different moods. Of course the other option is to have your songs and play lists on your phone. Then use Android Auto or Apple Carplay. I think the voice commands do support play lists when using them and I know you can use voice to play a song by title.

I don't think Ford Sync was really designed to organize and filter 1,000s of songs via thumb drive. It's not really built for that from what I have seen. So your options may be limited. But look at it this way, at least we don't have to keep a bunch of CDs (or for us older folk tapes) in the car anymore. :)
Keeps saying my playlist is currupted..works perfectly in my Dodge Dakota..these factory radios can kiss my royal foot.....do you know if they make a dash kit to so I can get an aftermarket radio...my NIssan Frontier I had awhile ago had same issue with the factory radio.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Leave it in and leave it alone for a while. The system reads all the files to build the list of available songs.

OP
OP

Ranger720

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Retired Military
Leave it in and leave it alone for a while. The system reads all the files to build the list of available songs.
I did that, it said it was reading and indexing..and still said the same thing

OP
OP

Ranger720

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Retired Military
I did that, it said it was reading and indexing..and still said the same thing
Okay I found the issue, the factory head unit does not like AIFF(lossless formate), it does like Wav files(lossless format as well), next thing is to try creating folder again!

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
This is why I’ve grown weary of maintaining my own physical media. I now just stream everything.
Sponsored