Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Just for fun....here a lap around the Lime Rock Track, and a idea of the lay out of what we drove. A bit slower but pretty much the same line and Ranger's speeds were about 105 mph down the Sam Posey Straight....

Lime Rock 3 D TrackMap.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

ParkerAzJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ranger 2019 Ranger
Here are a few Pix of the Lime Rock adventure....not great pix but show a humble beginning.

The 77 Truck is driven by Andy Gordan (RIP Andy) and me, mopping up as the second driver in the drivers change.
You can see Rob S. in the red 17 passing the piece of GM Junk on the straight. These trucks proved to be really fast!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Range Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Hi Bryan,
Lime Rock Con 3_1.jpg
Lime Rock Con 4_1.jpg
Lime Rock Con 5_1.jpg
Lime Rock Con 6+1.jpg
LimeRock Conn1_1.jpg
Hi Phil.
Is that my old friend Manny Esquerra in the first & last picture?

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil.
Is that my old friend Manny Esquerra in the first & last picture?
Hi Jeff,

It is Indeed Manny! Long story about Manny and my relationship...Wonderful fellow...He died doing what he loved...Off Road Racing...He was not an on road racer, but Public Affairs insisted in him being at Lime Rock. His relationship in the Ranger with Bill Stroppe was awful...I tried to broker a peaceful solution, but not to be. Manny holds a special place in my heart. A true racer and a resolve to win! Love those qualities. What an inspiration!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

LT Dangle

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FX4 (RIP), 21 Tremor, 20 Edge ST, Couple HD's
Occupation
Trophy Husband / "Sanitation Worker" / Army Vet
Excellent Reads!! thanks for sharing Phil.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for posting Phil, great read indeed.

I raced Formula Ford in SCCA for many years. Before my racing days, I frequented SCCA events out west as a kid, usually helping in the pits for a few different acquired friends.

I can't remember which of the NorCal tracks I first spoke to Steve Saleen, it was either Laguna Seca or Sears Point (now called Sonoma Raceway I think). Steve was running a March Atlantic car (might have still been Formula B at the time, not sure) and I remember him being very quick. I remember in those days his nickname was "Gas-Saleen".

I do remember the Race Truck series, although at the time, everything in my world was open wheeled, with either an Uprated 1600cc Kent, or 2L Pinto engine in the back. SCCA road racing in those days was truly the most fun a person could have with their clothes on.

I can't image how great it must have been for you to be part of a factory effort.

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting Phil, great read indeed.

I raced Formula Ford in SCCA for many years. Before my racing days, I frequented SCCA events out west as a kid, usually helping in the pits for a few different acquired friends.

I can't remember which of the NorCal tracks I first spoke to Steve Saleen, it was either Laguna Seca or Sears Point (now called Sonoma Raceway I think). Steve was running a March Atlantic car (might have still been Formula B at the time, not sure) and I remember him being very quick. I remember in those days his nickname was "Gas-Saleen".

I do remember the Race Truck series, although at the time, everything in my world was open wheeled, with either an Uprated 1600cc Kent, or 2L Pinto engine in the back. SCCA road racing in those days was truly the most fun a person could have with their clothes on.

I can't image how great it must have been for you to be part of a factory effort.
Hi Del,

Crystal Ball was very cloudy when we did the Rangers @ Lime Rock...who would have thought we would actually create a professional racing series.... Still am amazed the turn of events going the way they did. Road racing pickup trucks against very high horsepower cars and not just finishing the race but placing as high as we did was great but the after affects were way beyond anything we could envision. It actually started at the pre race dinner hosted by Road & Track. Don Runkle, Mr. Corvette, felt we upstaged him and his potent Vett...as we would likely (and did) get more ink than he and his Corvette. He yelled at me and had to be led away by some of his crew as he just flat lost it... I just laughed at him... I am certainly not on his Christmas Card list...

Mustang guys were equally pissed....It certainly kept the Car/Truck rivalry going...especially when I put Joe into the guardrail in turn 3 as he was trying to not get lapped by the little Ranger...

Good stuff!

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I realized the I did not chronicle what happened to the two Lime Rock Rangers. Public Affairs handed them off to the Automotive Press to garner more Ink... Then the Firestone tire manager who was an SCCA racer, Roger M. conned Public affairs to race the trucks at Nelson Ledges Raceway in Eastern Ohio during an Endurance event called the "longest day"....which was the summer solstice when it was the longest daylight. This was a 24 hour event.... The 77 truck had a race ending accident with a competitor. The 17 Truck was leading the field at the 23rd hour and should have won, but the Driver made a mistake and the truck flipped and rolled and was out of the Race...CRAP! So Roger sent them back to us and they went to the crusher... Sad in a way as they were historic vehicles for collectors of memorabilia....

My friend that has one of the Saleen Rangers which was restored by him was offered $200,000 for the truck when it was displayed at the LeMay Auto Museum in WA for almost a year... He declined as he feels it will bring much more if it is ever auctioned... Sheesh!

Best,
Phil

geezmo2020

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 2001 Ranger Edge 2017 Chevy Trax 1978 Camaro Z/28 2013 H/D Switchback
Occupation
Metal fabricator
Thanks for the pix Phil. The #49 Shelby GLH/GLHS takes me back. I had a GLH in high school, what a car (for a Dodge).
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc