The chrome trim around the air vent is blinding.

OP
OP
JoeDirt

JoeDirt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Flip your sun visors up against the windshield.
I am looking at doing an AS1 line tinted visor just not a fan of how those normally look.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I live closer to the sun than most of you in a state that gets about 300 days of sunshine a year. I've never had this problem, you guys ever think of tinting your windows?

OP
OP
JoeDirt

JoeDirt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
I live closer to the sun than most of you in a state that gets about 300 days of sunshine a year. I've never had this problem, you guys ever think of tinting your windows?
All the windows in my truck are as dark as legal in Texas. Tinting the windshield is illegal, you can only do a sun shade to the AS1 line. It would be cheaper to just coat the chrome in a non reflective coating. If anyone has tips on how to get the ugly things off.

SpaceGhost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Maybe use a scotch bright pad to make it more of a brushed matte finish?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
All the windows in my truck are as dark as legal in Texas. Tinting the windshield is illegal, you can only do a sun shade to the AS1 line. It would be cheaper to just coat the chrome in a non reflective coating. If anyone has tips on how to get the ugly things off.
Must be the sun's angle or something.

If you can't find help in getting it off and are wanting an easy solution perhaps plasti dipping them might work.

A little bit of masking tape and some matte clear plasti dip should do the trick.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
OP
OP
JoeDirt

JoeDirt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Better yet just do what IIRC they did in the movie " Bird Box " , just cover the entire windshield and use the parking sensors - I also recall reading someone tried it and failed, link to C&D article advises against but hey those guys are just journalists.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a25736661/netflix-birdbox-test-driving-blind/#:~:text=Can You Drive "Blind" Using,in Netflix's "Bird Box"%
Won't work, ford removed the front parking sensors on the 2021 XLTs

OP
OP
JoeDirt

JoeDirt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
My trim removal tools finally showed up. Wasn't as intimidating as I thought. Just need to start on the inside and work your way around.
IMG_20210813_161444.jpg

Couple more coats of this flat black and it should be better.

IMG_20210813_162112.jpg
IMG_20210813_184620.jpg

Last edited:

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Looks really nice. I'll probably do this using clear plasti-dip to to retain the original color.

I currently have a '21 F-150 loaner (truck is being repaired for multiple water leaks) and over the weekend drove a '21 Explorer Limited rental and both of them have various components on the dash/console that produce a crap ton of glare. Who ever at Ford that had the brilliant idea of putting highly reflective materials on the dash and console area should be forced to spend 12 hours a day for a month with the glare hitting them right in the eyes as punishment for this.
Sponsored