First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

Just for some context, I have installed the fox 2.0 suspension, and 1.5" wheel spacers, both over 2+weeks ago and have had an alignment done.

Yesterday I noticed a strange sound coming from what sounds like under the car near the front, closer to the drivers side (that part could be wrong since I can only hear is when the car is in motion..and I am sitting in the drivers seat with my head out the window like an idiot.)

I have some experience, but not enough. The sound appears to only be made while the wheels/axle/brake calipers/whatever are rotating. It seems like once a rotation

I am going to best try and describe the sound. It sounds like to me (not that it is this, just trying to paint an auditory picture) when a ball joint isn't greased enough, or when metal is moving across metal and created a slight vibration from the friction/"sticking." It is not a grating sound or metal wrenching sound. It is.....frog like. It is loud enough to be heard in the vehicle with the windows up and can be felt through the floor board and in the brake pedal when moving slow enough. Slower the louder and more pronounced. The faster, it kind of "goes away."

Headed to the dealer tomorrow, but curious to hear what people think.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

Just for some context, I have installed the fox 2.0 suspension, and 1.5" wheel spacers, both over 2+weeks ago and have had an alignment done.

Yesterday I noticed a strange sound coming from what sounds like under the car near the front, closer to the drivers side (that part could be wrong since I can only hear is when the car is in motion..and I am sitting in the drivers seat with my head out the window like an idiot.)

I have some experience, but not enough. The sound appears to only be made while the wheels/axle/brake calipers/whatever are rotating. It seems like once a rotation

I am going to best try and describe the sound. It sounds like to me (not that it is this, just trying to paint an auditory picture) when a ball joint isn't greased enough, or when metal is moving across metal and created a slight vibration from the friction/"sticking." It is not a grating sound or metal wrenching sound. It is.....frog like. It is loud enough to be heard in the vehicle with the windows up and can be felt through the floor board and in the brake pedal when moving slow enough. Slower the louder and more pronounced. The faster, it kind of "goes away."

Headed to the dealer tomorrow, but curious to hear what people think.
Hi Alex,

If it is wheel speed, then it should be fairly easy for the Dealer to check. Tire, Wheel, Brake rotor and halfshaft... If higher frequency then CV Joint would be suspect... I wonder if the CV joint came apart during the install and they did not get it back together correctly or the snapring broke and is floating around inside the joint.... Good Luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Deleted member 1634

If you're feeling so inclined, you could take the wheel off and spin the assembly by hand yourself. That way you could get a better idea of where the noise is actually coming from and what might be causing it. That's usually my first way to investigate as a novice. But if you've already got an appt at the shop, then probably not worth doing anything yourself.

OP
OP
Alex Bedrosian

Alex Bedrosian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Alex,

If it is wheel speed, then it should be fairly easy for the Dealer to check. Tire, Wheel, Brake rotor and halfshaft... If higher frequency then CV Joint would be suspect... I wonder if the CV joint came apart during the install and they did not get it back together correctly or the snapring broke and is floating around inside the joint.... Good Luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Funny enough I was trying to send you a private message as well, but I couldn't figure it out and just had to hope you'd see it!

OP
OP
Alex Bedrosian

Alex Bedrosian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase
If you're feeling so inclined, you could take the wheel off and spin the assembly by hand yourself. That way you could get a better idea of where the noise is actually coming from and what might be causing it. That's usually my first way to investigate as a novice. But if you've already got an appt at the shop, then probably not worth doing anything yourself.
I am dropping it off in the AM and they're ubering me to work (which is only 2 miles away), but I may do that this evening anyway, good idea

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Funny enough I was trying to send you a private message as well, but I couldn't figure it out and just had to hope you'd see it!
Hi Alex,

I had to turn off PM as I was getting overloaded every morning with PMs... Redland Ranger moderator can get through to me if it is critical.. Also DangerRanger but i have never heard from him...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited:

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
EZ fix OP. You just have a backing plate rubbing on the inner rotor. Take a long flat head and push gently around the circumference.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Alex Bedrosian

Alex Bedrosian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase
EZ fix OP. You just have a backing plate rubbing on the inner rotor. Take a long flat head and push gently around the circumference.
Ok, makes sense, why do you think it only hits a makes a noise at a certain point, and not the whole time rotation

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not an expert with wheel spacers, but I do know wheel torque is important. Your rotors may not be exactly "true" anymore. But we're only talking minimal.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, makes sense, why do you think it only hits a makes a noise at a certain point, and not the whole time rotation
I quickly eliminated the backing plate due to the cyclic nature of your noise, but as John indicated, it is an easy check. Again, it should be relatively easy to locate the source of the noise. While under the truck...grab a bunch of wrenches and sockets and check every fastener for tightness just to make sure it is not a loose bolt or such...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Alex Bedrosian

Alex Bedrosian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase
Update!

No need to go to the dealer on this one. Was about to drive home from work and the noise was louder so I pulled over and decided to give it a better look.

Driver side- Nothing looked out of place

Passenger side- Hmmm, there is a lug nut missing.....oh two are missing and a bolt has sheered off!

Front passenger wheel was hanging on by 4 loose bolts on the wheel spacer,

I took off all for spacers there and tighten them down as tight as I could and had a Big-O torque them just for shits and gig's

When I put these spacers on I got my hands on a torq-wrench, and did lock tight on the bolts attaching the spacer to the truck, then torqed down the wheel to the space and re-torqued after 50"ish" miles

I have to assume I somehow messed this up on only one wheel and the lugs came loose and sheered off the bolt, BUT i am very very suspicious. The other three wheels were still tight as a virgin trying to get the lugs off

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Update!

No need to go to the dealer on this one. Was about to drive home from work and the noise was louder so I pulled over and decided to give it a better look.

Driver side- Nothing looked out of place

Passenger side- Hmmm, there is a lug nut missing.....oh two are missing and a bolt has sheered off!

Front passenger wheel was hanging on by 4 loose bolts on the wheel spacer,

I took off all for spacers there and tighten them down as tight as I could and had a Big-O torque them just for shits and gig's

When I put these spacers on I got my hands on a torq-wrench, and did lock tight on the bolts attaching the spacer to the truck, then torqed down the wheel to the space and re-torqued after 50"ish" miles

I have to assume I somehow messed this up on only one wheel and the lugs came loose and sheered off the bolt, BUT i am very very suspicious. The other three wheels were still tight as a virgin trying to get the lugs off
Hi Alex,

Glad you found the problem and it did not cause a worse fate for you or the truck or other people and cars...Whew!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored