Rust Bucket..?

Wolfman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx4
having come from toyotas, you’d thing rangers were made of stainless. i have zero rust complaints haha.
sucks having to fluid film your frame every fall, glad i dont have to do that. (i’ll probably still do it out of habit)
Sponsored

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
I have a 2020 Ranger XLT with just over 3000 miles. Swapped out the wheels/tires Tuesday and discovered the hubs were completely rusted when I removed the OEM set. I purchased the truck NEW in Utah with 11 miles but it lives in CA and has never been driven through any water or rain since I have owned it. I'm two miles from the beach. Could this possible be from washing the vehicle? (which I do regularly) It would have been nice if the hubs were painted from the factory. Didn't have what I needed to fix the issue when swapping out the old wheels for new but added the project to my TO-DO list this weekend.

IMG_2518.jpg
2+2 isn't equaling 4 for me. do you have 3,000 or 30,000 miles? a 2020 purchased in utah with 11 miles on it, means 1/3 of it's life so far was just the drive to CA. it also means you wash it more than you drive it.

OP
OP
alaska2baja

alaska2baja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCab, 2008 Yamaha TW200
Occupation
Adventure Guide
2+2 isn't equaling 4 for me. do you have 3,000 or 30,000 miles? a 2020 purchased in utah with 11 miles on it, means 1/3 of it's life so far was just the drive to CA. it also means you wash it more than you drive it.
...your math is good David. Only 3000+ miles on the truck. I work in Alaska during the summer months so it's in storage 4 months of year and the Ranger is not my daily driver. I ride a motorcycle most everywhere local. It's pretty much a rig I'm building for my extended trips to Baja each winter.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
...your math is good David. Only 3000+ miles on the truck. I work in Alaska during the summer months so it's in storage 4 months of year and the Ranger is not my daily driver. I ride a motorcycle most everywhere local. It's pretty much a rig I'm building for my extended trips to Baja each winter.
In that case, the salt air combined with all the baths you give it aren't do wonders for you. At least the brakes aren't rusty.

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
That is absolutely normal. My 02 econoline rear brake rotors actually seized to the hubs in less than 2 years. I broke two mallets and marred the hell out of the rotors trying to get them off, even with heat from a small propane torch. What did the trick was putting a 12ton bottle jack sideways between the rotor and the lower shock mount. It sounded like a gunshot when they finally let go. Almost bent the lower shock mount in the proccess. This was all to remove an absolutely disintegrated (rusted out) parking brake assembly inside the rotor that had let go and was binding up while driving. I just deleted the e-ebrake on that side entirely, there was nothing left. Ended up replacing the rotors because of the huge dents I put in them. Oh the joys of Maine vehicles.