Rotor Questions

Nomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
All,

I have a few questions that I would pose to the forum members here:

1. What is the OEM weight of our rotors?

2. Are there any companies that make a 2 piece lightweight (or just a lighter 1 piece) rotor for our trucks?

I ask in the sense that I will eventually be switching to a larger/more capable tire (currently running the Hankook Dynapro ATM at 35 lbs with stock magnetic wheels) and am trying to keep the weight distribution as close to stock as possible. Coming from a 2004 Mustang Cobra, I know all too well the benefits of unsprung weight on performance as well as wear and tear on suspension, but am always willing to learn more.

Lastly , for the sake of argument, I rather like the magnetic wheels, so I would rather not opt to go the route of switching them out for lighter wheels.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Nomad,

I would suggest you contact Peder who makes a large brake kit for the Ranger. I cannot answer your questions as they have not been nor will be on my radar screen.

best,
Phil

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
All,

I have a few questions that I would pose to the forum members here:

1. What is the OEM weight of our rotors?

2. Are there any companies that make a 2 piece lightweight (or just a lighter 1 piece) rotor for our trucks?

I ask in the sense that I will eventually be switching to a larger/more capable tire (currently running the Hankook Dynapro ATM at 35 lbs with stock magnetic wheels) and am trying to keep the weight distribution as close to stock as possible. Coming from a 2004 Mustang Cobra, I know all too well the benefits of unsprung weight on performance as well as wear and tear on suspension, but am always willing to learn more.

Lastly , for the sake of argument, I rather like the magnetic wheels, so I would rather not opt to go the route of switching them out for lighter wheels.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
To answer you first question you might try contacting a dealer parts department or a reseller like Rock Auto and asking what the shipping weight of an OEM rotor is. I highly doubt there is a specific 2-piece rotor for the Ranger given the cost vs 1-piece blanks but there might be one from a different application that happens to fit?

OP
OP
Nomad

Nomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hi Nomad,

I would suggest you contact Peder who makes a large brake kit for the Ranger. I cannot answer your questions as they have not been nor will be on my radar screen.

best,
Phil
Phil,

Will give it a try--THANKS. My only concern with this avenue is that with Big Brake Kits, one is usually having to purchase/replace the whole system (brakes, calipers, rotors, lines, etc.). I was moreso just looking for a "plug and play" replacement for the rotor itself. I am not against it, per say. But as you (and many, many others on this forum) full well know, it is a slippery slope when you catch the "Mod Bug". Nonetheless, will reach out and see. Thanks for the advice!

To answer you first question you might try contacting a dealer parts department or a reseller like Rock Auto and asking what the shipping weight of an OEM rotor is. I highly doubt there is a specific 2-piece rotor for the Ranger given the cost vs 1-piece blanks but there might be one from a different application that happens to fit?
Phil (RecoilOperated),

Good advice. I had planned on reaching out to a Ford parts distributer/department (i.e. Benny from LevittownFordParts.com) if no one on here had the information readily available over the weekend. That said, I'm still kinda surprised that there is no brake rotor setup like this given how much this community likes to mod out their Rangers (and the benefits it could bring as mentioned in my previous post), as well as the support from all the aftermarket companies out there. Perhaps this post will be the catalyst for someone (or some company) to do so. One can only hope.

V/r
NOMAD

OP
OP
Nomad

Nomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
***UPDATE***

All,

1. Found out the following in regards to the stock brake rotors:
OEM front rotor weight--24 lbs.
OEM rear rotor weight--17 lbs.

2. Reached out to "Pedders Suspension and brakes" with these questions:
a. What is the weight of the rotors that you offer in your big brake kit?
27 lbs. per rotor
b. Can these rotors be used with the existing OEM brake calipers and lines?
No. The rotors cannot be used existing OEM brake calipers. The diameter, thickness, and swept area and location are different. There wouldn’t be anyway to mount the OEM caliper after the BBK rotors have been installed. (I pretty much knew that answer but thought id try just in case.)

3. Reached out "Wilwood Brakes". Talked to their rep there. They do not make any current OEM direct replacement setup for our trucks, however he took it under advisement for the future (but I am not holding my breath for this to come to fruition any time soon).

V/r
NOMAD

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
***UPDATE***

All,

1. Found out the following in regards to the stock brake rotors:
OEM front rotor weight--24 lbs.
OEM rear rotor weight--17 lbs.

2. Reached out to "Pedders Suspension and brakes" with these questions:
a. What is the weight of the rotors that you offer in your big brake kit?
27 lbs. per rotor
b. Can these rotors be used with the existing OEM brake calipers and lines?
No. The rotors cannot be used existing OEM brake calipers. The diameter, thickness, and swept area and location are different. There wouldn’t be anyway to mount the OEM caliper after the BBK rotors have been installed. (I pretty much knew that answer but thought id try just in case.)

3. Reached out "Wilwood Brakes". Talked to their rep there. They do not make any current OEM direct replacement setup for our trucks, however he took it under advisement for the future (but I am not holding my breath for this to come to fruition any time soon).

V/r
NOMAD
Hi Nomad,,

And now you know! Thanks for posting this info. BTW....I have several pedestals in my shop that are Wilwood rotors....Heavy, Heavy, Heavy. Work great as stanchions

best,
Phil

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Toyo Open country III are a much better tire at almost the same weight.

In 255/70R17 only 37lbs.
Sponsored