Brake clip ate a rotor :(

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
About a week ago I started having a sound like low brake pads with brake squeal. I thought it was a bit early for that at about 42k on the truck, but since I tow and use to sit in a lot of bumper to bumper LA traffic, I just excepted it.

When I pulled the brakes apart for the first time ever, I found tons of pad still left. Then I found on the driver front a groove in the inner pad, and a piece of metal fell out.

It turns out one of the clips came apart and got jammed in between the rotor and the pad. I now have a deep groove in my rotor. :mad:

20210912_182204.jpg
Sponsored

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
About a week ago I started having a sound like low brake pads with brake squeal. I thought it was a bit early for that at about 42k on the truck, but since I tow and use to sit in a lot of bumper to bumper LA traffic, I just excepted it.

When I pulled the brakes apart for the first time ever, I found tons of pad still left. Then I found on the driver front a groove in the inner pad, and a piece of metal fell out.

It turns out one of the clips came apart and got jammed in between the rotor and the pad. I now have a deep groove in my rotor. :mad:

20210912_182204.jpg
I've never seen that before.
Take it in for warranty repair. Hopefully new rotors are available now.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Its always good to take the calipers off and do a brake ,suspension inspection every couple years. More often if you are doing high mileage. I can't see that clip working out on its own unless the clip was damaged previously. In proper assembly maybe. Good to be mechanically inclined to keep an eye on things.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Replace the clip and pad, (in case its cracked) and as long as there are no gouges in the rotor you can run it, just hold a microfiber on the rotor and spin it, if it catches there are protrusions and it will need to be turned, or just replace the rotor, not a hard job at all.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Out warranty, so that's not happening.
Hi Stic-O,

See if you can turn the rotor, which I think will work...a groove is no biggie as Jesse indicates. slap the pad back in with a new clip and monitor..... You should be good to go!

best,
Phil

OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just running it as is for now. It's quiet, and not causing issues driving or stopping.

Pad is not bad, rotor has a pretty decent groove in it. Enough where I question if they could turn it. I'm just going to keep a eye on it, and I'll check it every tire rotation which I'm doing about every 7500 miles.

Besides I live in LA, so we don't have road salt, snow or hardly any rain. So it should be fine for now.
Sponsored