Ride comparison compared to Tacoma and Colorado?

irally

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP, 2012 Ram 1500, 2000 Miata
Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone has any input on how the ride of the Ranger compares to the Colorado or the Tacoma due to the much shorter wheel base (14") of the Ranger?
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone has any input on how the ride of the Ranger compares to the Colorado or the Tacoma due to the much shorter wheel base (14") of the Ranger?
I haven't driven either of the off brands you mention, but the new Ranger's wheelbase is already 13" longer than my present Ranger.
Anymore would destroy its drivability and a good deal of its utility.
It rides like the best of the large SUVs on the market while still providing solid handling and maneuverability in close traffic.

Tinsoldieroh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had an'86, a '94, and an '05. Left with wife's jeep until the '19 arrives
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There is only inches difference between the three trucks. the Colorado has the longest wheelbase at 128.3 inches, the Tacoma is 127.4 inches, and the Ranger is 126.8 inches, that's only 1.5 inches shorter than the Colorado. Overall length is also close, with the Tacoma and Colorado both at 212.3 inches and the Ranger at 210.8, again 1.5 inches shorter. Hope that helps, they are very close to the same size.

Only the Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 with a 6' bed has the 140.5 wheelbase. All other models are listed as 128.3

The Tacoma is the same way, Double Cab with 6' bed is 140.6 inch WB.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ric

Tinsoldieroh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had an'86, a '94, and an '05. Left with wife's jeep until the '19 arrives
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
BTW see Ranger tech specs thread for these numbers. The chevy and Toyota numbers are off there websites.

ajvester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
I drove a Canyon Denali, Tacoma TRD Off Road and a Ranger XLT w/o FX4.

Of the three, the Ranger rode the best. It absorbed the bumps well and corned fairly flat for a truck.

The Denali was quite disappointing, I expected a much better ride from the supposed luxury trim of the Canyon. It was rough and loud, you felt every pothole and expansion joint.

The Tacoma rode exactly like I expected. It felt no different than a Tacoma I had for a few days back in 2004. Still better than a Jeep with a live front axle though.

I also drove an 18 Sierra SLT Premium and a 17 F-150 Limited. Both of those had a more luxurious ride than any of the small trucks. You could drive over winter potholes and barely feel them. I have yet to drive my trim (Lariat FX4), I expect that it will be a little better than the XLT, but not as refined as the luxury half tons.

OP
OP

irally

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP, 2012 Ram 1500, 2000 Miata
Thanks for the info. I was basing my question on the comparison chart in the other thread stickied at the top of this group that shows the wheelbase as 140.5 or 6 for the Canyon and Tacoma. If the wheelbases are only inches in the difference then that would certainly make for a better comparison.
Sponsored