First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
Has anybody replaced the XLT manual rear view mirror with one with auto-dimming?
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
@JimH Jim, I see you haven't had any answers. I was wondering the same thing myself. I just ordered a Ranger XL with the STX package, Strange thing is if I would have left the XL package it would have had the auto dim rear view mirror according to the build/price page. But when I ordered the STX it went to the manual mirror. So, I was thinking, but don't know yet as I don't have the truck, the wiring may be there for the auto dim, and it would be a simple swap. Auto makers these days use the same wiring harnesses for every trim level, and just plug in whatever option that is ordered for each vehicle. I suspect Ford does the same. If there is a cover behind the mirror, look to see if it has a removable section. If so, I'll bet the auto dim mirror is a plug and play thing. I certainly hope so as I want one in mine also.

OP
OP
JimH

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It's not plug and play. I got the covers off, but haven't been able to remove the mirror. Supposed to be easy (push tab, turn mirror CCW 1/4 turn and remove) but it ain't! I can't get it to turn. I'm afraid to put too much pressure on it, don't want to break the windshield. I'm going to my dealer and see if one of the friendly mechanics will get it off for me. There isn't any extra wiring up there, I can see that. I bought an auto dim mirror from LKQ online (~$25) and got the plug with some wire on the mirror. It has 3 wires : 1 - Ground, 2 - power (Fuse F36 15A) and 3 - goes in the reverse light circuit (so auto dim is turned off when you go into reverse). I found F36, and, obviously, Ground. Have to find where I can hook into the reverse lights. Main thing is I need the manual mirror off so I can put the AD one on! I'll keep you posted on progress if you want. Let me know.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
It's not plug and play. I got the covers off, but haven't been able to remove the mirror. Supposed to be easy (push tab, turn mirror CCW 1/4 turn and remove) but it ain't! I can't get it to turn. I'm afraid to put too much pressure on it, don't want to break the windshield. I'm going to my dealer and see if one of the friendly mechanics will get it off for me. There isn't any extra wiring up there, I can see that. I bought an auto dim mirror from LKQ online (~$25) and got the plug with some wire on the mirror. It has 3 wires : 1 - Ground, 2 - power (Fuse F36 15A) and 3 - goes in the reverse light circuit (so auto dim is turned off when you go into reverse). I found F36, and, obviously, Ground. Have to find where I can hook into the reverse lights. Main thing is I need the manual mirror off so I can put the AD one on! I'll keep you posted on progress if you want. Let me know.
I'm interested, so keeping your progress posted is much appreciated.

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
If you don’t mind.how do you get the covers off?

Do you by chance have any pictures that show the clips,and the mounting area for reference?

Want to harwire my threat detector and swap to an autodimming mirror as well.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
JimH

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Covers snap off -- pictures attached

Step 1.jpg

Step 2.jpg

OP
OP
JimH

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Bad news -- went to the Ford dealer today and the mechanic got my manual mirror off for me, but the automatic mirror mount is different, so can't swap out unless change the mount on the windshield. So, for now this isn't doable.. :( I'm going to look into the possibility of swapping the mounts between the mirrors since I'm stuck with the automatic one anyway..

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If you don’t mind.how do you get the covers off?

Do you by chance have any pictures that show the clips,and the mounting area for reference?

Want to hardwire my threat detector and swap to an autodimming mirror as well.

Thanks in advance!
As Jim said, they just snap off. I came to say that these particular clips are uncomfortably tight and I had to pull way harder than I was happy about. I ended up slicing up my fingertips a little on the sharp edges of the cover.

Watch the dashcam thread, I'm going to hardwire my camera and I have ID'd the wire I'm going to use. Just need time to finish it up.

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Thank you both for the replies!
Great information for sure.Huge bummer that the mount bases are different...
Let us know what it takes or if it’s even worth the hassle..

OP
OP
JimH

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Going with Plan B -- returned the stock mirror to LKQ and ordered a Gentex 50-GENK2AM Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror thru Amazon. Also, ordered the necessary adapter. Will post results here when I get the parts.

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 - Gots mods
Occupation
Network Engineer
Going with Plan B -- returned the stock mirror to LKQ and ordered a Gentex 50-GENK2AM Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror thru Amazon. Also, ordered the necessary adapter. Will post results here when I get the parts.
Some Gentex include Homelink. It'd be nice to know if they are plug and play.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Jim, has your new mirror arrived, and do you have an update on the install?

OP
OP
JimH

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Got the Gentex mirror. Still can't figure out the secret to removing the stock mirror, so will have to go to the dealer again and have them remove it. Then, the Gentex should install -- I'll keep you posted on progress (or lack of it)..

OP
OP
JimH

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Well, I have given up on this project. Couldn't get the stock mirror off and didn't want to drive 50+ miles to the dealer again. I decided I don't drive enough at night to worry about it. I might address it again sometime in the future, but as of now, I've sent the mirror and adapter back and will live with the manual mirror. Maybe somebody else will manage to do the swap...
Sponsored