Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ranger XLT spacecab
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
Hi all,

Just thought I'd post and update everyone on an issue I've had with my Ranger Raptor. I noticed after having the vehicle for ~5000km that when on the highway and decelerating (foot off throttle, not braking) at 110 km/h that there was a pronounced whine from the rear end.

A few weeks later after not hearing it again (no highway driving at 110) I had my father in the vehicle and we could both hear the whine. I then rang my dealer and took it in, they with Ford Australia have decided to replace the rear differential. I presume that the bearing preload was not set correctly at the factory, the dealer and Ford head office both were surprised as they have had almost no history of differential issues.

Still awaiting parts, but hopefully it resolves the noise!

50861429296_eb7d8c8e2c_k.jpg
Ranger Raptor rear axle by Billy Phillips, on Flickr
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

Just thought I'd post and update everyone on an issue I've had with my Ranger Raptor. I noticed after having the vehicle for ~5000km that when on the highway and decelerating (foot off throttle, not braking) at 110 km/h that there was a pronounced whine from the rear end.

A few weeks later after not hearing it again (no highway driving at 110) I had my father in the vehicle and we could both hear the whine. I then rang my dealer and took it in, they with Ford Australia have decided to replace the rear differential. I presume that the bearing preload was not set correctly at the factory, the dealer and Ford head office both were surprised as they have had almost no history of differential issues.

Still awaiting parts, but hopefully it resolves the noise!

50861429296_eb7d8c8e2c_k.jpg
Ranger Raptor rear axle by Billy Phillips, on Flickr
Hi Billy,

Not always the case, but most whine is generated by the Ring and Pinion gears. Most carrier bearing noise is almost a low growl....sounds like the gear mesh has not been set correctly...JMO. I do not think your trussed axle is any where near our Dana rear axle for North America... You look to have a removable pig and a 3 or 4 bar link rear suspension...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited: