First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger 4x4 FX4 XLT super cab
Occupation
Retired
I own a Four Wheel Camper and it sits on my 99 Super Duty. Four Wheel Campers are one of the lightest and most durable pop up truck campers out there. While at Overland Expo West a couple of weeks ago, I saw several Tacos and Chevy Colorados with Four Wheel Campers mounted, and they all had some type of “helper springs/suspension”. Once you get heavier rear leaf spring packs (also consider Deaver, OME, or Atlas springs) and sway bar, you’ll be fine.
FWC Fleet on 21 Ranger Air bags, add a leaf and anti sway bar. Did a road that was so rocky that the heavy steel,stovetop grate came flying out onto the floor.

IMG_1199.jpeg

IMG_1193.jpeg
Sponsored

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Capri Camper has a smaller unit without an overhang that doesn't weight a lot, less than 700 lb as I recall. They just came out with a new one for mid size trucks with an overhang that weighs under 900 lb as I recall. I'd add some Firestone airbags and call it good. I'm wondering how you secure the camper in the bed. Tie it down to the bed hooks or something more substantial?

Last edited:

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Capri Camper has a smaller unit without an overhang that doesn't weight a lot, less than 700 lb as I recall. They just came out with a new one for mid size trucks with an overhang that weighs about 1000 lb as I recall. I'd add some Firestone airbags and call it good. I'm wondering how you secure the camper in the bed. Tie it down to the bed hooks or something more substantial?
Lone Star Jr for 6' bed. Perfect fit for a SCab !!
2023-09-10 12 44 09.png

Rammstein

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL, FX4
Occupation
Outdoor Recreation Planner
We have a 2021 Ford Ranger STX FX4 Supercrew with a payload of 1,486 pounds. Put a Scout Yoho on in April 2022 and added E Rated 265/70/R17 Discoverer Cooper A/T tires and SumoSprings blue, 1,000 pound. I called SumoSprings and told them of our camper and desired use on rough 4WD roads and they recommended the blue 1,000 pound rather than the black 1,500 pound SumoSprings.

We have about 15,000 miles on the truck with about 13,000 miles with camper. Last 5,000 miles with camper on all but about 100 miles was 17.0 MPG. I drive the speed limit with camper on and we live in the Four Corners area where the fastest speed limit is 70mph. Most of the time we are going 55-65mph. Mileage greatly suffers on Interstates going 75mph or faster. We spend much of our time camping in either the San Juan Mountains in Colorado, Southeast Utah or visiting our friends on the Navajo Nation. All of the above involve extensive dirt roads with many sections of 4WD LO. So far everything is working great. Truck handles camper very well and is amazingly quick when passing is needed or going up a paved pass in the San Juans, but also plenty of low end torque for rough trails at 12,000 feet with the camper on.

If we didn't have two dogs that ride in the back of the Supercrew, we would have bought a Supercab as the longer bed keeps more of the camper weight in front of the rear axle. Haven't noticed any problems with our Supercrew.

Here are some pictures of our Ranger/Yoho in the Chuska Mountains on the Navajo Nation.

Lots of folks have Yohos on Rangers on the Scout Campers Owners Facebook page.

Chuska Mtns Ford Ranger Scout Yoho 1.jpg

Chuska Mtns Ford Ranger Scout Yoho 2.jpg

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
We have a 2021 Ford Ranger STX FX4 Supercrew with a payload of 1,486 pounds. Put a Scout Yoho on in April 2022 and added E Rated 265/70/R17 Discoverer Cooper A/T tires and SumoSprings blue, 1,000 pound. I called SumoSprings and told them of our camper and desired use on rough 4WD roads and they recommended the blue 1,000 pound rather than the black 1,500 pound SumoSprings.

We have about 15,000 miles on the truck with about 13,000 miles with camper. Last 5,000 miles with camper on all but about 100 miles was 17.0 MPG. I drive the speed limit with camper on and we live in the Four Corners area where the fastest speed limit is 70mph. Most of the time we are going 55-65mph. Mileage greatly suffers on Interstates going 75mph or faster. We spend much of our time camping in either the San Juan Mountains in Colorado, Southeast Utah or visiting our friends on the Navajo Nation. All of the above involve extensive dirt roads with many sections of 4WD LO. So far everything is working great. Truck handles camper very well and is amazingly quick when passing is needed or going up a paved pass in the San Juans, but also plenty of low end torque for rough trails at 12,000 feet with the camper on.

If we didn't have two dogs that ride in the back of the Supercrew, we would have bought a Supercab as the longer bed keeps more of the camper weight in front of the rear axle. Haven't noticed any problems with our Supercrew.

Here are some pictures of our Ranger/Yoho in the Chuska Mountains on the Navajo Nation.

Lots of folks have Yohos on Rangers on the Scout Campers Owners Facebook page.

Chuska Mtns Ford Ranger Scout Yoho 1.jpg

Chuska Mtns Ford Ranger Scout Yoho 2.jpg
Good stuff....I'm waiting on my Scout Tuktut camper for my 2019 Lariat. I just finished up installing Firestone Airbags even tho it'll be April before I can pick up the camper. How well does your setup handle crosswinds?

Rammstein

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL, FX4
Occupation
Outdoor Recreation Planner
How well does your setup handle crosswinds?
We haven't been in any extremely high crosswinds, but haven't noticed any problems in crosswinds around 40MPH. Hope you enjoy your Tuktut on your Lariat!
Sponsored