First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Nice!
(Assuming you bought the 55".) I'm about to mount a Rhino Rack RTC track set (cut to 59"/1500mm) and 54" Vortex Aerobars on my Scab w/ 'V' series cap. I was wondering what centerline to centerline dimensions you used for the tracks, and how far from the top of the window to the end of the extrusion. (Maybe give me the distance from the front edge of the cap to the end of the extrusion as well...I'll use it as a reference) ARE was nice to send me their dimensions, but I don't think it's based on using Rhino Rack tracks. Thanks for your help.
Hi. Sorry for only responding now. Did you still need these dimensions?
Sponsored

OP
OP
RangerVA

RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
My ARE topper is on the way and just ordered a leaving kit. I'm new to the game here. Your tire set up is money. What size tires are those? I'm wandering if I can jump up to BF Goodrich 275/70r17?
Congrats on the topper! I’m running 295/70R17. I have a 3.5” lift though.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform installed. I’m happy with the rack itself, I was just hoping the rails would sit a little lower.

I plan to carry the Darche Dirty Dee 1100 Swag with a complete set of Maxtrax for beach camping on the rack. Occasionally I’ll throw an SUP up there but I’ll need some front rails to tie it down more securely.

I also plan to install the Rhino Rack 270 awning, which the added height of the rails might end up becoming a benefit to me down the road.

Maybe it’ll look better once everything is all loaded up.
Love your setup and the way you've built up your truck! Looks great.

I just installed my Pioneer Platform yesterday and I'm really happy with the look. I bought the legs that mount directly to the fibreglass cap and to the cross bars that are built into the platform. The legs tuck up nicely into the underside of the platform.

This saved about 1-1/4" taken up by the Vortex Aero Bar or the HD crossbars and likely another 3/4" that the track mounts add. It was a very narrow squeeze tightening the legs to the cap mount but it all worked out.

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_2363.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
RangerVA

RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks man! Your truck looks awesome! Your rack sits at just the right height. Nicely done!
Thanks! I thought I was seeing double when I first saw your pictures - then I saw your rear doors and that wicked moose killer up front.

OP
OP
RangerVA

RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I thought I was seeing double when I first saw your pictures - then I saw your rear doors and that wicked moose killer up front.
Hahahaha can’t go wrong with all black. Always looks good coming down the road.

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Love your setup and the way you've built up your truck! Looks great.

I just installed my Pioneer Platform yesterday and I'm really happy with the look. I bought the legs that mount directly to the fibreglass cap and to the cross bars that are built into the platform. The legs tuck up nicely into the underside of the platform.

This saved about 1-1/4" taken up by the Vortex Aero Bar or the HD crossbars and likely another 3/4" that the track mounts add. It was a very narrow squeeze tightening the legs to the cap mount but it all worked out.

IMG_1362.JPG

View attachment 63692

IMG_1376.JPG

View attachment 63695
do you mind sharing which legs you used?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
do you mind sharing which legs you used?
Happy to share...

Legs: RFMPC2 Fixed Mount Cap/Topper Leg - 2 Legs/pkg
Platform: 42100B Pioneer Platform (60" x 49") - Assembled

The legs even have backing plates with covers for the inside of the cap. The finish is very clean - no exposed bolts.

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

The built-in crossbars of the 42100B are the same profile as the Rhino Rack HD crossbars shown above. This allows the legs to mount directly to the platform. Instead of having crossbars on top of legs and then a platform on top of the crossbars, you have the framework of the platform attached directly to the legs. The platform mounting instructions show how this works.

IMG_1391.jpg

Different RL Series legs that mount to tracks, bars, rain gutters, etc. can also be mounted this way.

The 42100B has been replaced with the 52100F (unassembled) and the built-in crossbars have the Vortex Aero Bar profile, which require a spacer kit so the legs fit the profile of the crossbar properly - I think it's a VA-FK1.

Tucked up tight!

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

Roof inside the cap...

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hahahaha can’t go wrong with all black. Always looks good coming down the road.
I've been looking at your photos more closely and it looks like you have your platform on top of Vortex Aero Bar crossbars. If you want to lower the profile of your platform, you should be able to lose the crossbars and mount the legs to the built-in crossbars in your Pioneer Platform.

If you have the 42100B platform, you don't need the spacer/adaptor currently on the legs.

If you have the newer 52100F platform, the built-in crossbars have the same profile as the Vortex Aero Bar crossbars and should fit perfectly with the spacer/adaptor that's on your legs now.

Because you have a track mount system, you can position your legs to line up with the platform's crossbars. Although it looks like they are directly below them now.

Check out the mounting instructions here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RangerVA

RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking at your photos more closely and it looks like you have your platform on top of Vortex Aero Bar crossbars. If you want to lower the profile of your platform, you should be able to lose the crossbars and mount the legs to the built-in crossbars in your Pioneer Platform.

If you have the 42100B platform, you don't need the spacer/adaptor currently on the legs.

If you have the newer 52100F platform, the built-in crossbars have the same profile as the Vortex Aero Bar crossbars and should fit perfectly with the spacer/adaptor that's on your legs now.

Because you have a track mount system, you can position your legs to line up with the platform's crossbars. Although it looks like they are directly below them now.

Check out the mounting instructions here.
Thanks for this! The extra height actually works out for me. The 270 awning barely clears with the rear window open on the truck cap.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for this! The extra height actually works out for me. The 270 awning barely clears with the rear window open on the truck cap.
I'm glad it's working out as you originally thought it might.

I was feeling your pain when you said you had hoped it sat a bit lower. Between the antenna and the window, it's a tight setup for the 5' screw cap - yep, I heard that as soon as I said it.

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Happy to share...

Legs: RFMPC2 Fixed Mount Cap/Topper Leg - 2 Legs/pkg
Platform: 42100B Pioneer Platform (60" x 49") - Assembled

The legs even have backing plates with covers for the inside of the cap. The finish is very clean - no exposed bolts.

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

The built-in crossbars of the 42100B are the same profile as the Rhino Rack HD crossbars shown above. This allows the legs to mount directly to the platform. Instead of having crossbars on top of legs and then a platform on top of the crossbars, you have the framework of the platform attached directly to the legs. The platform mounting instructions show how this works.

IMG_1391.jpg

Different RL Series legs that mount to tracks, bars, rain gutters, etc. can also be mounted this way.

The 42100B has been replaced with the 52100F (unassembled) and the built-in crossbars have the Vortex Aero Bar profile, which require a spacer kit so the legs fit the profile of the crossbar properly -I think it's a VA-FK1.

Tucked up tight!

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

Roof inside the cap...

IMG_1395.JPG
I appreciate you sharing all the details with me! This may be the route I go.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
No problem Marc. That's why we're all on here sharing.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Marc, did you ever get a roof rack on your canopy?
Sponsored