Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
A Ranger was the pace truck at the famous Salem speedway in Indiana this 4th of July weekend. I didn't attend but wish I could have. I saw Jeff Gordon win the sprint and midget feature there when he was just out of high school, well before his NASCAR career started. Names such as Ruttman, Carter, Sweikert, O’Connor, Jones, Foyt, Unser, Andretti, Vogler, Allison, Parsons, and Waltrip just to name a few, grace the list of past winners. It is a high banked .55 mile track.

On another note. Today is a bad day for me because I had to decide weather to attend the rescheduled Indy 500 this year or not. I have seen every one since 1987, even went back to see the few rain delayed ones. But I just can't put my wife and I at risk this year. We are both 69 years old and she has other health issues. We are trying to be careful during this pandemic. So I had them credit my order for the 2021 race. ☹
A ranger at salem.jpg
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
A Ranger was the pace truck at the famous Salem speedway in Indiana this 4th of July weekend. I didn't attend but wish I could have. I saw Jeff Gordon win the sprint and midget feature there when he was just out of high school, well before his NASCAR career started. Names such as Ruttman, Carter, Sweikert, O’Connor, Jones, Foyt, Unser, Andretti, Vogler, Allison, Parsons, and Waltrip just to name a few, grace the list of past winners. It is a high banked .55 mile track.

On another note. Today is a bad day for me because I had to decide weather to attend the rescheduled Indy 500 this year or not. I have seen every one since 1987, even went back to see the few rain delayed ones. But I just can't put my wife and I at risk this year. We are both 69 years old and she has other health issues. We are trying to be careful during this pandemic. So I had them credit my order for the 2021 race. ☹
A ranger at salem.jpg
Pretty cool they had the Ranger as the pace car. :like:

It's better to be safe and skip this years Indy 500 so you will be around for next years. I have asthma and have to be careful too so I decided to sell my season tickets this year for all Cardinals games, I still can't see them playing with crowds. Life is more important than a race or a game! Stay safe and healthy Gregg. :)

OP
OP
gfitzge2

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty cool they had the Ranger as the pace car. :like:

It's better to be safe and skip this years Indy 500 so you will be around for next years. I have asthma and have to be careful too so I decided to sell my season tickets this year for all Cardinals games, I still can't see them playing with crowds. Life is more important than a race or a game! Stay safe and healthy Gregg. :)
Thanks I agree on all counts. My grandfather moved from Ohio to Arizona when I was just a child to help with his emphysema. I hope you stay safe and healthy as well.

When I first went to Indy the facility was to be blunt, a dump. But the tradition and speed was intoxicating. (As was the beer :crackup: ). My father in law went along one year and wouldn't sit in his turn three bleacher seat because he was concerned it was going to fall in.
The place has improved over the years as has my seating location.
Now that Roger Pensky has purchased it, it has become a shining jewel. He strives for perfection and has said he is going to keep improving it. I cant wait for next year. I plan to be around for it, so I will watch on TV this year.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Indy is a spectacle. Especially the infield back in the day. Line up at 6AM outside the track, gates opened at 7 if I remember right, park in the infield for $25, pick a spot on the hill and party all day. The infield was its own show. Good times...:rockon:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks I agree on all counts. My grandfather moved from Ohio to Arizona when I was just a child to help with his emphysema. I hope you stay safe and healthy as well.

When I first went to Indy the facility was to be blunt, a dump. But the tradition and speed was intoxicating. (As was the beer :crackup: ). My father in law went along one year and wouldn't sit in his turn three bleacher seat because he was concerned it was going to fall in.
The place has improved over the years as has my seating location.
Now that Roger Pensky has purchased it, it has become a shining jewel. He strives for perfection and has said he is going to keep improving it. I cant wait for next year. I plan to be around for it, so I will watch on TV this year.
Hi Gregg,

Spent 22 years as a trackside official for the Indy Car Series. Super Speedway ovals were E ticket. Michigan International Speedway... back strait speeds in the 250-252 mph range Nothing between me and the cars but a 6" three ft tall cement wall... Pretty dangerous, had to flatten out on the ground in the blink of a eye sometimes. Parts went over us, but the fluids came down like rain except HOT. Had my back peppered several times....Little burn blisters all over the back side. Oil and gear box lube was the worst as they held the heat.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
gfitzge2

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Gregg,

Spent 22 years as a trackside official for the Indy Car Series. Super Speedway ovals were E ticket. Michigan International Speedway... back strait speeds in the 250-252 mph range Nothing between me and the cars but a 6" three ft tall cement wall... Pretty dangerous, had to flatten out on the ground in the blink of a eye sometimes. Parts went over us, but the fluids came down like rain except HOT. Had my back peppered several times....Little burn blisters all over the back side. Oil and gear box lube was the worst as they held the heat.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
That had to be an awesome experience.

I attended many Cart, Champcar, IRL and Indycar races over the years. I was at Michigan several times, Phoenix, Mid Ohio, and Detroit. Elkhart Lake was probably my favorite place next to Indy. Were you in that spot at MIS in 95 when Danny Sullivan and Lyn St. James got together. That's one I remember.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That had to be an awesome experience.

I attended many Cart, Champcar, IRL and Indycar races over the years. I was at Michigan several times, Phoenix, Mid Ohio, and Detroit. Elkhart Lake was probably my favorite place next to Indy. Were you in that spot at MIS in 95 when Danny Sullivan and Lyn St. James got together. That's one I remember.
Hi Gregg,

YEP! I was on the landline to race control as we dove for the dirt with me yelling yellow, yellow, yellow which was out call out and most times the yellow light lit before the cars that crashed had stopped. I was also the guy that got hit at MID Ohio with Teo Fabi's right rear wheel, up right, brake caliper & rotor and half shaft shot about 15ft in the air. What got me in the hands covering my head was the CV joint balls. Half shaft got my little drink cooler an folded up lawn chair. Tire went into the side of an RV behind the specator fence.

In Detroit, I was Head of Flagging and Communications and ran race control. When we were DownTown and then moved to Belle Isle, I was the one that layed out all the corner stations and emergency outlets onto the track... At Elkhart, seems I always got stuck at the Hurry Downs...

Went all over the world with CART. Motegi Japan, Rio De Janeiro, Rockingham England etc.

My commerative ring I got at the 20 year mark.

CART Ring.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Hi Gregg,

YEP! I was on the landline to race control as we dove for the dirt with me yelling yellow, yellow, yellow which was out call out and most times the yellow light lit before the cars that crashed had stopped. I was also the guy that got hit at MID Ohio with Teo Fabi's right rear wheel, up right, brake caliper & rotor and half shaft shot about 15ft in the air. What got me in the hands covering my head was the CV joint balls. Half shaft got my little drink cooler an folded up lawn chair. Tire went into the side of an RV behind the specator fence.

In Detroit, I was Head of Flagging and Communications and ran race control. When we were DownTown and then moved to Belle Isle, I was the one that layed out all the corner stations and emergency outlets onto the track... At Elkhart, seems I always got stuck at the Hurry Downs...

Went all over the world with CART. Motegi Japan, Rio De Janeiro, Rockingham England etc.

My commerative ring I got at the 20 year mark.

CART Ring.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Wow, what a life!!! :clap:
Sponsored