Question For Those Using Add-A-Leaves!!!!

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a set of used AutoSpring Add-A-Leaves on hand. The problem is I don't have any instructions on how to install them. Does anybody have a copy of the instructions they could possibly share with me. I've emailed the company a couple weeks ago but haven't gotten a reply. Thank you!!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just got off the phone with Auto Spring. I've got the torque specs I need.

So I've got the whole leaf spring setup from an FX4 Ranger with the add-a-leaf installed. I'm wondering if I should uninstall the add-a-leaf kit and put it on my truck or just put the whole leaf spring setup up on my truck?

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

So I've got the whole leaf spring setup from an FX4 Ranger with the add-a-leaf installed. I'm wondering if I should uninstall the add-a-leaf kit and put it on my truck or just put the whole leaf spring setup up on my truck?
I don't have anything helpful to add, but I am following this issue and this thread with interest, as I may want to add-a-leaf myself at some point, depending on the results you guys post! (So please post your results and your impressions of the whole project!)

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport

Iirc, thereā€™s nothing holding the leaf pack together besides the u bolts, is that right? If thatā€™s the case, youā€™re going to have to bust out the c clamps either way. I would think itā€™s less work to just move the add a leaf over.
In other words, the u bolts have to come out on both trucks and thatā€™s going to leave you with a loose leaf pack either way.
If Iā€™m wrong and there is a retaining bolt holding the leaf pack together (itā€™s been over year since I did mine, just canā€™t remember) then Iā€™d think itā€™ll be less work to just take out the shackle bolts and swap them.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
@DanaBovender Put dark hair on that avatar baby and you have me as a kid. I preferred PBR at the time since it's what the old man was drinkin'.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@DanaBovender Put dark hair on that avatar baby and you have me as a kid. I preferred PBR at the time since it's what the old man was drinkin'.
PBR is my jam!!!! My Xbox gamer tag is "Pabst Drinker". :D

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Iirc, thereā€™s nothing holding the leaf pack together besides the u bolts, is that right? If thatā€™s the case, youā€™re going to have to bust out the c clamps either way. I would think itā€™s less work to just move the add a leaf over.
In other words, the u bolts have to come out on both trucks and thatā€™s going to leave you with a loose leaf pack either way.
If Iā€™m wrong and there is a retaining bolt holding the leaf pack together (itā€™s been over year since I did mine, just canā€™t remember) then Iā€™d think itā€™ll be less work to just take out the shackle bolts and swap them.
So the only thing holding my new to my leaf spring and add-a-leaf together, currently sitting on my garage floor, is the center stud (bolt). There are actually 4 of these running through the middle of the spring, if memory serves me correct. So the leaf packs are assembled for now. I'm leaning towards just undoing the u-bolts and shackle bolts and swapping the complete packs over.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Check the F150 instructions, I believe it is the same
Auto Spring's website is a little garbagy. Non of the links for the instructions work! LOL

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have anything helpful to add, but I am following this issue and this thread with interest, as I may want to add-a-leaf myself at some point, depending on the results you guys post! (So please post your results and your impressions of the whole project!)
I've heard it's a relatively simple operation that should only take 2 hours to complete.

Then again, my ARB front bumper says it should only take roughly 4 hours, and it took us 13 hours to do. HAHAHAHA

RangerTaz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I've got a set of used AutoSpring Add-A-Leaves on hand. The problem is I don't have any instructions on how to install them. Does anybody have a copy of the instructions they could possibly share with me. I've emailed the company a couple weeks ago but haven't gotten a reply. Thank you!!!
Here you go:

2019-2020 Ford Ranger

REAR ADD-A-LEAF INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS​

TOOLS REQUIRED

FLOOR JACK
JACK STANDS
METRIC AND US SOCKETS
TORQUE WRENCH
  • Before beginning, read the instructions completely.
  • Jack up the rear of the vehicle enough to lift the rear tires off the ground and support frame with jack stands
  • Remove the rear tires.
  • Place floor jack under rear axle housing and support rear-end.
  • Remove factory u-bolts and lower shock bolt on one side only.
  • Lower the rear end housing with floor jack to allow the spring to separate from the axle spring seat.
  • Lower the rear end 6-8 inches between the spring and axle seat to allow install of the add-a-leaf.
  • Using a vise grip on the lower head of the center-bolt and socket on the nut remove spring center bolt and bottom spring spacer plate (2 on drivers side and 1 on passenger side) and discard. Remove drift pin on the overload leaf.
  • Insert the new center bolt provided running the bolt thru the factory tapered overload leaf (flat bottom leaf). Next install the new add-a-leaf with the long end of the spring toward the rear of the truck.
  • Clamp the add-a-leaf and tapered overload leaf up to the main spring leaf and tighten the centerbolt to 35 ft lbs.
  • Jack rear end up enough to allow the spring centerbolt head to fit in axle centering hole. You can slightly loosen u bolts on opposite side to make re-positioning axle in centering hole easier.
  • Install factory u-bolts and torque nuts to 100 ft. lbs. Reinstall lower shock bolt and torque to 85 ft lbs.
  • Repeat install procedure on opposite side. You need to cut off the excess center bolt threads or they will protrude up into the bump stop.
  • Re-install rear tires and tighten lug nuts and carefully lower the vehicle to the ground.
  • Re-torque the lug nuts to factory OEM specs.
Re-torque all nuts after 300 miles

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here you go:

2019-2020 Ford Ranger

REAR ADD-A-LEAF INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS​

TOOLS REQUIRED

FLOOR JACK
JACK STANDS
METRIC AND US SOCKETS
TORQUE WRENCH
  • Before beginning, read the instructions completely.
  • Jack up the rear of the vehicle enough to lift the rear tires off the ground and support frame with jack stands
  • Remove the rear tires.
  • Place floor jack under rear axle housing and support rear-end.
  • Remove factory u-bolts and lower shock bolt on one side only.
  • Lower the rear end housing with floor jack to allow the spring to separate from the axle spring seat.
  • Lower the rear end 6-8 inches between the spring and axle seat to allow install of the add-a-leaf.
  • Using a vise grip on the lower head of the center-bolt and socket on the nut remove spring center bolt and bottom spring spacer plate (2 on drivers side and 1 on passenger side) and discard. Remove drift pin on the overload leaf.
  • Insert the new center bolt provided running the bolt thru the factory tapered overload leaf (flat bottom leaf). Next install the new add-a-leaf with the long end of the spring toward the rear of the truck.
  • Clamp the add-a-leaf and tapered overload leaf up to the main spring leaf and tighten the centerbolt to 35 ft lbs.
  • Jack rear end up enough to allow the spring centerbolt head to fit in axle centering hole. You can slightly loosen u bolts on opposite side to make re-positioning axle in centering hole easier.
  • Install factory u-bolts and torque nuts to 100 ft. lbs. Reinstall lower shock bolt and torque to 85 ft lbs.
  • Repeat install procedure on opposite side. You need to cut off the excess center bolt threads or they will protrude up into the bump stop.
  • Re-install rear tires and tighten lug nuts and carefully lower the vehicle to the ground.
  • Re-torque the lug nuts to factory OEM specs.
Re-torque all nuts after 300 miles
THANKS!!!!!

RangerTaz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
THANKS!!!!!
I installed these last weekend. I'm guessing it's easier to just install the extra leaf rather than installing the whole assembly, provided the bolt that's holding the leafs together is long enough when you move it over. The bolt that AutoSprings provides is cut to length.
Sponsored