Pulling in tow mode

Deruiterh

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Had my first serious trip towing my trailer. Had the tow mode activated and everything seemed fine. My only question is, when going downhill the truck is trying to slow down on the engine, like an engine brake on the big rigs. Is this normal? Is it supposed to do this? I am totally new to towing.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Yes it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. When I tow my travel trailer I also lock out 9th and 10th gears.

OP
OP

Deruiterh

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
yes you’re right. It locks out 9th and 10th gear.
Thanks guys, makes me feel better

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
yes you’re right. It locks out 9th and 10th gear.
Thanks guys, makes me feel better
Tow mode is great and is also useful during regular city driving (non-towing) to prevent the lugging situation that our 10-speed transmission likes to do. But, tow mode itself does not lock out 9th and 10th gears. You do that by pushing the “-“ button on the transmission shifter.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Totally normal.

I use tow mode it in traffic for the higher gear lock out and the engine braking. During normal driving I just leave it in D and instad of letting it lug in 10th with a soft pedal; I boot the shit out of it when I want to GO and it does. No lugging. Not a truck that likes you to drive it all finger tippy and soft. Throw it around. If I want to haul ass; slide it down to S. Sort of gives me the old feeling of arming a nitrous system (sold my last kit a bit ago...). Someone is about to get left behind. /end extra unrequested info.

Grumpy Old Guys Ranger

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew Oxford white
Occupation
Retired
Had my first serious trip towing my trailer. Had the tow mode activated and everything seemed fine. My only question is, when going downhill the truck is trying to slow down on the engine, like an engine brake on the big rigs. Is this normal? Is it supposed to do this? I am totally new to towing.
as i'm sure others have said, yep that's exactly what its supposed to do, you know its working if the fuel mileage is going through the roof.
Sponsored