Propane heat for under 40sqft. (Truck Camp or RTT)

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Get a few things out of the way;

Primary use is heat on demand without needing electrical. Unfortunately diesel heaters still require a power source and even the most efficient ones still require a sizable portable power bank to keep that glow plug going for a full night's use. Power banks of that size cost a ton.

So reading a bit, I see the Olympian Wave series catalytic heaters are very popular for truck campers.

People go as far as to install them on TV mounts which in turn mount to T-tracks or something similar. You can see this in the below picture. This is quite ingenious. With proper ventilation and a CO alarm as a backup you are good to go.

1703084290034.png

So the RTT I am having delivered on Friday has a ton of usable T-track on the interior once opened up. I can easily rig a quick disconnect system to safely mount (with required backspacing from walls) for something like this.

When I eventually move to a Tune M1 camper (like pictured above) in another year or so this is the exact setup I am going to do. So one might thing "well go ahead and buy one of these now since you will re-use it in the future". Valid statement, but I think this unit is going to be just too much heat in such a smaller confined area.

What I am having trouble finding, is a product on the market, that operates like this, but is scaled down by quite a bit for such a smaller area. I guess even better would be something like a diesel heater, but runs on propane and I can pipe the heat into the tent via a duct tube with an intake fan being the only power consumption. That would be great as well cause then the heating unit itself can just be complete separate from the tent area.

Anyone give me a hand discovering what it is I am after?

Edit: I see products like this and they would work perfect... cept they are generally rated for 30k-60k BTU - yea WAY too much heat.

1703085491043.png

Or maybe I should consider this little butane heater?

Sponsored

Last edited: