Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just got the call. Supposedly they found codes. I'll be interested to see the full notes if they'll give them to me. Service advisor said they updated the PCM to the latest calibrations.

@P. A. Schilke do you know if updating the PCM calibrations would affect an aftermarket tune? The dealer had installed the Roush tune on the truck while it was still on the lot. I told them about it when I dropped it off this morning. Wasn't sure if those things were stored separately from each other, or if they just overwrote the whole shebang and I'm going to have to fight them lol.
Hi David,

It it is out of my arena and cannot help, but I believe you can talk to Roush and see what their advice is for this. I suspect the Roush calibration was over written...Does the Dealer think the Roush tune caused the codes?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engneering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Hi David,

It it is out of my arena and cannot help, but I believe you can talk to Roush and see what their advice is for this. I suspect the Roush calibration was over written...Does the Dealer think the Roush tune caused the codes?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engneering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
They didn't act like they believed it did. They did indeed pull the P061B code that I found with my scan tool. Their notes read as follows:
CHECK FOR DTC FOUND P061B FOLLOW PPT QE DIAG. QE1 NO, QE2 YES. QE3 PROGRAM PCM

PROGRAM PCM TO LASTEST CALIBRATION AND CLEAR ALL CODES ROAD TEST AND START VEHICLE MULTIPLE TIMES CHECK CODES ALL PASS

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Not to dig up an old thread, but was just driving home and my truck just did it again. Got home, read the code and same P061B. So now it gets to go back to the dealer. They already reflashed the PCM once. I wonder where they'll go this time.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
So I haven't been back to the dealer again after this last post, but after it did that I shut the truck off and unplugged and then re-plugged the throttle body. Then restarted the truck and it was pissed. Acted like it was running on 2-3 cylinders or misfiring. Shut it off, gave it a minute, started it back up and it ran fine. Now it's been fine ever since.

I still need to go back to the dealer to have them check the Roush tune. I spoke with Roush and they said it was a good probability that it was wiped. The dealer would need to download the current PCM programming and send it to the Roush hotline for them to verify. If the dealer did indeed wipe it they would provide a voucher to install it again.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Once again, dragging this thread up. The last time I posted I never did make it back to the dealer. But now my truck has been at the dealer since Monday afternoon. Truck did the exact same thing again. Following codes were in the various modules according to Forscan:

• PCM
    • P061B - Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance
  • OBDII
    • P061B - Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance
  • BdyCM
    • B115E - Camera Module
  • IPMA
    • C1001 - Vision Camera System (Component or System Operation Obstructed or Blocked)
    • U0401 - Invalid Data Received from ECM/PCM A
The dealer has been talking to Roush because the truck had their tune on it when they sold it to me. They installed it along with the Roush CAI. Apparently this is not the first time Roush has heard of this issue. So now I wait. They gave me a 2020 Explorer Limited as a loaner until they figure out what's going on with my Ranger. My guess is they end up putting a new PCM in it, but I'm not sure I want them to put the Roush tune back on.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Quick update: the dealer has had my truck for two weeks and knows nothing. They're waiting to hear from Roush, who is evidently taking their sweet ass time.

This loaner Explorer is nice enough, but I'd like my truck back. :(

Has anyone else ever had service issues where they had to deal with Roush?

Saracino23

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
Quick update: the dealer has had my truck for two weeks and knows nothing. They're wait
Quick update: the dealer has had my truck for two weeks and knows nothing. They're waiting to hear from Roush, who is evidently taking their sweet ass time.

This loaner Explorer is nice enough, but I'd like my truck back. :(

I have been having similar issues with the “power train malfunction “ “pre-collision assist unavailable “ . My dealer has worked with Roush and claims that the tune isn’t the problem. I’m dropping it off again this afternoon for the 4th time. I’ll update when I hear back.

From my experience Roush only added a day or two extra to the trouble shooting and back and forth emails between the shops.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
I have been having similar issues with the “power train malfunction “ “pre-collision assist unavailable “ . My dealer has worked with Roush and claims that the tune isn’t the problem. I’m dropping it off again this afternoon for the 4th time. I’ll update when I hear back.

From my experience Roush only added a day or two extra to the trouble shooting and back and forth emails between the shops.
I just looked through your original post and your issues sound EXACTLY like mine. I also have the Roush tune and CAI. I’m almost wondering if it’s related to the CAI. I read somewhere that the P061B code can be related to unmetered air.

Are you also returning somewhat poor fuel mileage? My average city-only tanks barely scratch 18mpg most of the time and I’m not a hard driver.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I just looked through your original post and your issues sound EXACTLY like mine. I also have the Roush tune and CAI. I’m almost wondering if it’s related to the CAI. I read somewhere that the P061B code can be related to unmetered air.

Are you also returning somewhat poor fuel mileage? My average city-only tanks barely scratch 18mpg most of the time and I’m not a hard driver.
If the cold air intake was the cause please explain to me how the air coming through that filter would be considered unmetered air?

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
If the cold air intake was the cause please explain to me how the air coming through that filter would be considered unmetered air?
I worded that poorly, seeing as how the Ranger does not use a MAF. I’m grasping at straws at this point because I don’t have any other explanation. A few hit and miss posts about this particular issue, and in this case I have another person with the same issues and variables as myself.

I would happily swap the stock air box and air tube back in if I had it. But the dealer didn’t give it to me. I’m assuming they threw it away like idiots when they installed the CAI. Roush’s tune also does not retain the factory tune. So I’m at the mercy of the dealer and Roush to figure this shit out.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Some of the possible causes of the system generating a P061B are:

• Defective throttle valve control servo (faulty throttle body)
  • Open or shorted harness in throttle valve control servo
  • Poor electrical circuit in throttle valve control servo
  • Defective MAF (Mass Airflow) sensor
  • Foreign matter inside airflow sensor
  • Software incapability problem
  • Defective PCM (rare)
It may also be caused by improper throttle body calibration as well.

You can try this procedure to see if it fixes it as well.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Honestly at this point I belive it is an issue with the software

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Honestly at this point I belive it is an issue with the software
Which I believe is why my dealer has turfed the issue to Roush. But now they’ve been silent for almost two weeks. I replied back to an email I had sent to Roush back in October of last year. The agent that responded said he sees that they’ve been in communication with the dealer, but didn’t offer any real information.

Saracino23

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician

I’m getting 19.2 according to my dash. I have a heavy foot though.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
You'd think that Roush would be more responsive than this. If it were me I'd be on the phone with them every day or keep climbing the ladder until you get in touch with someone who will make things happen.

It'd almost be worth having them put it back to 100% stock and see if it continues to throw the code or not. If they won't/can't you could also try going to a salvage yard and buy a stock air box or buy a brand new one for about $120. Swap it out for the Roush intake and see if the issue continues to throw the code. I don't believe this will make a difference but it's worth a shot.
Sponsored