First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I'll be interested to see if the pedal stays firm after a week or so of normal driving.
Sponsored

Steven D Tipton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX Supercew & Ranger XLT SuperCrew
I'll be interested to see if the pedal stays firm after a week or so of normal driving.
I will update after a week if you don't hear from me definitely send me a message and I'll update. As I run an auto repair shop and I am knee-deep with everybody going back to work evidently. My original theory was it was brake rotor run-out.I do believe some of the rangers did get bad rotors that's why there is an SMS out on certain vin. This one in particular had a different SMS.the way home I had about a nine Mile stretch with no touching of the brake if it was run out I would have noticed it immediately on exit I got off on, But again I will update

Steven D Tipton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will update after a week if you don't hear from me definitely send me a message and I'll update. As I run an auto repair shop and I am knee-deep with everybody going back to work evidently. My original theory was it was brake rotor run-out.I do believe some of the rangers did get bad rotors that's why there is an SMS out on certain vin. This one in particular had a different SMS.the way home I had about a nine Mile stretch with no touching of the brake if it was run out I would have noticed it immediately on exit I got off on, But again I will update
Update, so far so good. I'll reupdate in a few weeks. Right now perfect

Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger crew cab
The braking could definitely be more consistent, mine has felt a bit mushy at times as well. The good news is that after 7300 miles the brakes feel better and I hardly notice them anymore. Hopefully it is not just because I have adapted my driving to bad brakes!

One thing I have noticed is that as the transmission is downshifting through the gears the truck "lurches" forward a bit, making it feel like inconsistent braking. I have yet to have the rough shift TSB performed and hope that fixes this issue.

Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger crew cab
My pedal goes clear to the floor if I push hard when stopped

Steven D Tipton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want to make another update. After many more miles. Both our rangers brakes are working the same. Any one having issues, should see a dealer. Mine had a completely different SMS, if your truck was built the same time as mine. I suspect a easy fix. Don't let yourself adapt to it.

Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger crew cab
I want to make another update. After many more miles. Both our rangers brakes are working the same. Any one having issues, should see a dealer. Mine had a completely different SMS, if your truck was built the same time as mine. I suspect a easy fix. Don't let yourself adapt to it.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
Steve, so just bleeding air from your brake system was the fix? Thanks!

Steven D Tipton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Steve, so just bleeding air from your brake system was the fix? Thanks!
On mine but per my vin. That's all that needed done. I know some had rotor issue, must be certain vins for that one. Mine was only bleed

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
On mine but per my vin. That's all that needed done. I know some had rotor issue, must be certain vins for that one. Mine was only bleed
Thanks, Steve. Mine is a 2020 so pretty sure it would not be in the build date range of yours. I still might ask the dealer to bleed the brakes to see if it makes a difference.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Thanks, Steve. Mine is a 2020 so pretty sure it would not be in the build date range of yours. I still might ask the dealer to bleed the brakes to see if it makes a difference.
Same here. 2020 with a Nov 2019 build date.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Just got done with mine. I pulled the battery and the fuse box and the pcm out of the way to drop the brake master down to hand bleed it. I thought maybe there was an air bubble in there because of the angle that its at. Didn't help.
So I hooked up my vacuum bleeder to each of the calipers and pulled about a cup through all 4 as fast as possible. Which should be enough to flush about 30 ft of brake line depending on the ID.

And omfg. I took it for a test drive and almost had to peel my face off the dash cuz it grabbed so fast.
Much improved, I'm happy now.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Took mine in yesterday to the dealership with the complaint of the brake pedal being spongy, having an inconsistent engagement point, and double pumping the pedal makes significant improvement in pedal feel and performance. They confirmed the issue and had to argue with Ford to perform a brake system flush as issue indicated air in the system. Ford initially did not want to allow the brake flush on it with only 2600 miles and no listed component failure. The dealership's shop foreman got after them citing that there is clear evidence of air in the system and presents a significant safety issue. Ford agreed to cover the brake flush. service tech notes state that multiple air bubbles were observed in the bleed tube when bleeding the right rear and both front calipers.

Since getting it back while the pedal travel is a little more than I would like it to be, there is now a very consistent engagement point and much firmer pedal and a night and day difference in stopping power. Even light pressure on the brakes slows the truck down where before yielded no noticeable change in speed at all.

Very pleased with the difference.
Sponsored