First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2017 Edge SEL, 2001 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Tech
When my new Ranger XLT was delivered the first thing I noticed when driving it off the lat was that there doesn't seem to be much brake pedal. I thought it might just be a minor adjustment. You can press on the pedal 2 or 3 times and "pump it up". To me it seems like the brakes need to be bled.

I took it back to the dealer and after diagnostics and even a test drive, they brought the "Shop foreman" up to tell me that the brakes passed every diagnostic test and that they felt normal during a test drive. His explanation was that this is a revolutional new braking system that doesn't need a high pedal to exert the amount of force necessary to stop the truck.

It's been a while but I've done brake jobs and bled brakes and to me it feels like air in the brake lines. The dealer disagrees.

Is anyone else noticing anything similar to this?
Sponsored

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Kevin,

I too noticed the lack of linearity of the brakes. The pedal pressure does not match the braking force. I improved mine greatly by bedding in the pads. Try this... from 30 mph, brake aggressively to a stop, and repeat 3 times. Now coast to a stop without touching the brakes. Let them cool for 30 minutes. See if this makes any difference. It did for me. you might repeat the process one more time. hopefully this will help.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
In respect to braking, steering, and in the generally mushy ride, the Ranger feels to me like a tall 1959 Chevy Bel Air.

MarcusRanger

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I took mine in for several things, this being one of them and they told me the same thing, passes all tests. So I guess they are the way they are? I've almost got used to it in a way now.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I took mine in for several things, this being one of them and they told me the same thing, passes all tests. So I guess they are the way they are? I've almost got used to it in a way now.
Hi,
Try bedding your brake pads. I found it helped.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Company Retired

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi,
Try bedding your brake pads. I found it helped.

Best,
Phil Schilke
I tried it this morning before I pulled into my work parking lot. I'll do it once more when i leave and see how that goes. To me...logically, that won't fix the inconsistency. *Sometimes* they are firm. Sometimes, the are medium and then other times the pedal goes pretty far down. When the pedal goes all the way down, you can pump them a few times and it's firm...so that's why people are saying they think the lines need to be bled. When you are in very slow moving/accordion/sometimes stopping traffic it is annoying as hell when the brake pedal isn't consistent.

But, like I said, I'm open to giving it a shot. Can't hurt anyway. Let you know either way.

Jeffrey

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Mine does not roll to a stop without max braking but it does feel like I have to greatly increase the pressure at the end to get it stopped. Add to that the fact that the last 30 or 40 feet are VERY rough feeling...like it is almost to kill the engine or something...and then the final few feet feel almost like the breaking stops. It gets smooth and feels like it accelerate slightly..like hitting ice. I think this all stems from the fact that it is electronic braking and not physical braking. Isn't that correct?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mine does not roll to a stop without max braking but it does feel like I have to greatly increase the pressure at the end to get it stopped. Add to that the fact that the last 30 or 40 feet are VERY rough feeling...like it is almost to kill the engine or something...and then the final few feet feel almost like the breaking stops. It gets smooth and feels like it accelerate slightly..like hitting ice. I think this all stems from the fact that it is electronic braking and not physical braking. Isn't that correct?
Hi,

What I think is happening here is you are experiencing is out gassing of the brake pads. In some cases the out gassing can actually hold the pads off the rotor. Your perception is it accelerates due to loss of braking force. Bedding in the brakes may minimize out gassing. If you have glazed your pads, it may be best to replace them and bed in the new pads.

Best,
Phil Schilke

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
You'll find that when they Collision Prevention system is noticing you are approaching another vehicle (but not yet alerting you with the flashing red light) if you press the brakes they will be really firm and just a small press will apply serious braking pressure!

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
You'll find that when they Collision Prevention system is noticing you are approaching another vehicle (but not yet alerting you with the flashing red light) if you press the brakes they will be really firm and just a small press will apply serious braking pressure!
One of the times I had to do a last second brake it was even softer than normal and went way down before everything kicked in.

Marc F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4
I have a Lariat and my son has an XLT, he has mentioned a couple times that the truck rolls from stop if you don’t apply maximum pressure, I have not experienced this yet
I've noticed this on several occasions as well. I've managed to catch it every time before I roll into anything in front of me, but it seems like only a matter of time I bump into something going 1/2 MPH.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very similar here. In a vehicle with consistent brakes, your brain doesn't give a second thought to the fact you have stopped. So after you have stopped, you'll look at the radio, check your mileage, look over and talk to your wife, whatever. Many times in the Ranger, I have looked up and realized I was creeping. So, it takes a concerted effort to keep the Ranger actually stopped. It's just made more difficult by driving our other vehicle that has firm and consistent brakes.

Having said that, Phil's suggestion to bed the brakes *does* seem to help somewhat with consistency. I bedded them a couple times the other day and it seemed to help. Pedal still is inconsistent, but not as bad. It will still be soft in instances and firm in others with no rhyme or reason, but it does seem better. Need to drive it a few more days to make sure it's consistently better.

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
The braking could definitely be more consistent, mine has felt a bit mushy at times as well. The good news is that after 7300 miles the brakes feel better and I hardly notice them anymore. Hopefully it is not just because I have adapted my driving to bad brakes!

One thing I have noticed is that as the transmission is downshifting through the gears the truck "lurches" forward a bit, making it feel like inconsistent braking. I have yet to have the rough shift TSB performed and hope that fixes this issue.
Sponsored